Looking for fulltime RVerd to chat with!

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by FunkyPhreshMama, Jan 29, 2012.

1. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

I am looking to buy my first RV. Me and my boyfriend will be traveling the country meeting up with other activists and possibly attending some festivals to sell my wares at. Probably start this tour in the New England and then branch outwards. We are most likely going to have donations to sponsor some of what we hope to accomplish but all in all, the RV is going to be up to us to purchase and I will make a living for myself sewing as I have in the past. The donations will mostly help for fuel and to fix anything that falls apart LOL

Anyone have an experience??? Info?? Suggestions??

2. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I do, and I'm currently RVing full time. Drop me a ling & lets talk.

3. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

sending you a pm, thank you so much!

4. linden

linden Guest

urban gypsy here! the smaller the RV the easyer to stealth camp! moisteur is your enemy! and thier is a book you can get that lists every flea market across the U.S.
    and yes i already know i can't spell!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

5. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

I'm a full timer too. Be glad to talk to about anything you want to know .

6. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

PMs sent!!

I have been looking for the perfect RV for weeks now. Really hoping to get into something comfortable by the end of next month. Looks like we may actually start in FL and work the way back up to NH. Hopefully we can do it again next year too. I hate the winter in NH, need palm trees and sunshine for sure right now.

Gonna set up a small sewing space too, so I can start my clothing business back up. Will definitely start small this time, instead of sewing from the RV 14 hours a day haha

Thanks for the responses and thanks ahead of time for the advice and tips.

Anyone have exp RVing in the cold/snow??? That is one challenge I know I am going to probably face before this winter is over.

Also looking into heating options, was checking into small wood stoves but not sure that is the best thing. Any info on this?

7. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

Funky , as you know the New England winters are no joke . I would recommend starting in Fl. , as you've suggested . What type r.v. are you looking for ? Class a or c ? Are you planning on bone docking (dry camping ) or looking for campgrounds , or a combination of both ? Most campgrounds in new England are seasonal and close for winter . You have to have a power source , or sufficient wattage generator . Winter in r.v.'s can be a challenge . Especially with condensation . If your going to be in colder climates do your homework and find a make that is well insulated . Rv's run heating off propane , and do a sufficient job of it . I would NOT recommended a wood stove . In winter I use propane and a plug in space heater . And sleeping bag on the bed , works fine and is very comfortable . In winter it's best to find one or two places to stay put until spring in heavy snow states.

8. Logan 5

I disagree with Papa Wolf. The best place to start is Arizona. The humidity in FL is a bitch, and the hurricanes....bad place. Drier is better. I'm in Utah.

The best rig is, in my opinion, the Airstream. Sturdy, well built, and if taken care of can last decades. Any trailer, if taken care of, will last.

Propane is good, but expensive. Wood is good, but then the pollution from that isn't good either. Electric is ok, but expensive. Which is one reason why I suggest Arizona.

9. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

We initially picked FL because there are a lot of Liberty groups between there and here that we would like to do meetups with on the way back up from FL. We are however checking out RVs in Cali too, and that would give us an even longer drive!

10. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

Yeah Az. is good too , dryer for sure . Florida good too though , excellent camp grounds and great to establish state residence because they have no state income taxes . A definite plus for rvers.

I agree airstream makes a fine product , one of the best and most have been well taken care of . She certainly can't go wrong in buying airstream . There expensive however . And there are some other good older ones that can be bought cheap . Lazy days comes to mind .

Like you said any will last if taken care of . And Funky make sure you CHECK FOR LEAKS , water damage , soft spots , streaks , rippling panelboard and delamination . Avoid any with delamination ( bubbles on the fiberglass )You can tell how well it was taken care of as soon as you see it . Get up on the roof and check what shape it's in . You don't want someones neglected rig. Will be a money pit and expensive . There are some great deals to be had out there right now in class a,b,c,t.t. . Start low not high on price negotiations . With rising gas prices great deals can be had .

11. fleamarketvendor

fleamarketvendor Member

FunkyPhreshMama,

I'm in a Class C at a flea market north of Cincinnati as I write. I was supposed to be in Texas this winter but things didn't work out. Winter is rough. I spent last winter in a campground in Ohio. Electric heat is best if you can plug in. I wanted to trade some labor for parking and power but couldn't find a good fit. I'll be hitting markets on my way south to TN.

Class C's are about the cheapest thing going. I've been seeing them for under $2,000. If you can do minor repairs they're fine but hard on gas.

I haven't figured out the PM feature here but if I can help, let me know. I'll be back up in OH and western PA this spring. There are some small music festivals I want to do along with the flea markets.

Oh, it may be laudable but I'm not an "activist". I just do my thing and stay under the radar. Most flea markets don't allow anything political. The one I'm at now says "The Market may not be used to further political agendas, parties, elections,issues, or candidates."

Even if your neighbors agree with your position, they'll ask the management to toss your butt out if you drive away customers. Vendors at shows and festivals are just trying to get by- consideration for them and their families is in order.

fleamarketvendor

How in the Sam Hill do you get this software to make new paragraphs??? Sorry this is hard to read but I'm only computer semi-literate--never mind, I think I figured it out!

Added on Edit: If you're going to set up and sell, try to stay under 24 feet long. I'm at 27' and often have to pay double.

12. apothecaryvybez

apothecaryvybez Member

getting an rv in may. plan on taking it to Wakarusa and Hangout music festivals. Gonna be a BLAST.

13. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

so i am talking with a man in fl that has a sweet rig for $4000. he is selling fast for cash. he is sending pics and all specs tonight, i may fly down to check it out soon. i had a lady who has been inside to check it out write me to tell me the details about the inside and everything. hope this works out!!

14. Logan 5

Check the walls and ceiling for damage & rot. Especially the corners and around where people sit.

15. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

still no luck yet, had a lot of setbacks.... my ex (who i am still legally married to) is in a fucking coma now and shit is bad.

going to hopefully find and purchase my rv in the next two weeks, its more of a need than a want now =(

16. skycanvas

skycanvas Member

Hi, depending on where you want to go, sometimes less is more. Lived in one van & when that one wore out I donated it & traded up. Still happy, although I would opt for a Class B motorhome, but still not much bigger than a van. Those are expensive but that would be my ride of choice. But BIG? —I see these tourists struggling through town with a 40 footer & a car trailer & car & motorcycle hooked on. I mean, you have to have 40 acres just to turn your rig around. Coastal towns, people crowd in & some places try to keep it quaint & so small streets & parking lots are in vogue. Portapotty, cooler & a gas stove fix that for now. You can eat a lot of healthy uncooked stuff, you do. You try to use public facilities for toilet & keep your portapotty for musts. Cooking out is a big deal, lots of time. Stock your coolers with lots of cans & you buy cooked stuff every few days, Trader Joes Stuff. Laundromats. I got a gym membership & a lot of people have those for exercise & showers. Near the beach there are public showers. Planning my up-coming solar panel installation. Really, take my advice on size: Gas Ain't Cheap

17. kenwilkes

kenwilkes Member

Good post sky, everything you said is solid advice. I've been doing the RV thing for some time and I keep needing less and less stuff. Turn off the want button and turn on the happiness !!!

18. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

I full time in a class c a 30' . Big but not to big . And I agree class b is a great mix of both worlds . And not a bad choice for just getting into the lifestyle . However it depends on how little space one can deal with . And while I too need less and less room , still I couldn't imagine having enough storage room with a class b . And it's nice to have the big engines to tow whatever you want . Gas prices are a bitch for sure . We find ourselves moving much slower than before ,However they are coming down . But with the middle East tensions rising I see skyrocketing gas prices in our near future . It's a great time to buy right now because of it . You can expect to get about 9 m.p.g. on the bigger r.v. class a & c . I would strongly suggest diesel . Even with the gas prices it's still a very cheap fun lifestyle . It's not for everyone though , so I wouldn't overspend on the first one . In fact I would never overspend as that defeats the whole zero debt lifestyle . I laugh at some of these peoples "look at me " rigs that need a city block to turn around , with massive big screen t.v.s on the outside even . Towing a 60,000 dollar car . In debt out the ass .

19. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I did full-timing but didn't get around to traveling...I traveled in a car and slept in tents in the forest and in people's yards and sometimes in the car.

Then I got a class C...older in bad condition and I'm not a fixer-upper...I did get it cheap but could've gotten it for a few hundred less I'm sure. Then family got us a T.T. but we didn't have anything to tow it with.

I'm looking for a B now or maybe even a truck/camper. Have mostly planned my tour for this year, just need to get an RV.

20. FunkyPhreshMama

FunkyPhreshMama Visitor

Update!!!!!!!!! I have a 73 dodge sportsman, not running now. Need a new gas tank and water pump but I LOVE it. Been in it for maybe over a month now living on a farm in NH. Best choice ever, I love the place I am staying now!! Maybe going south when we get it running but until then I am all set! Woke up this morning to a gang of wild turkeys hanging out behind my van.