The 'What are you growing?' 2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by ripple, Jan 27, 2012.

1. weaverc12

weaverc12 Member

I just starting growing but so far i have peppers, lettuce, spinach, cantaloupe, cucumbers, poppyseed, catnip, oregano, spider lillies, tomatos, cockscomb, sunflower, cacti, thyme, and some other stuff but cant think at the moment. My dad will be building me a green house sometime at the end of this month so hopefully I will have a large collection of plants this season!:)

2. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

i want to grow tomatoes and morning glories

3. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I have HUGE plans for this year!

Tomatoes - both large & cherry, Cucumbers, Pole Beans, Salad Greens, (it's a mesclun-blend) Carrots, Chives, Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme, Chocolate-Mint, Lemonbalm, Garlic, Onions, and Jalapeno Peppers.

4. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Our new apartment barely has enough room for my houseplants, so I'm kind of screwed there, but I seem to have accidentally cultivated spirulina algae in my fish tank. The fish are ecstatic, but the algae is taking over everything.

5. gilligan420

gilligan420 Member

I just put carrots and potatoes in the ground today. I tilled some compost in the other beds for purple hull peas, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, several types of peppers and herbs.

6. veggiefan

veggiefan Member

Tomatoes, beets, cucumbers, beans and probably a few more things. We just moved to this rental so I have yet to map out the sunny spots for the garden. The spinach is coming along well in the kitchen window though.

7. PinkFairyTulip

PinkFairyTulip Member

I should try growing some flowers again this year if we can buy some (we're a bit poor). :)

I hope marigold take's a bit more easly than cosmos did. :/ Those weren't very fun when they wouldn't bloom...

8. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

Onions
    Tomatos
    Squash-Yellow and Zucinni
    Cucumbers
    Jalapenos
    Will try Ghost peppers again
    and give a home to a lot of squash bugs im sure.

9. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Tomatoes - Marzanos, Pink Ladies, Brandywine, and a few other heirlooms.. Peppers - Cayanne, Thai Chilis, Jalapenos, Pablano, Red Bell, Green Bell, and im gonna try growing ghost peppers for hot sauce and salsas... Okra, Strawberries, Corn, Onions, Celery, Carrot, maybe another fruit.. we'll see

10. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

NO MORE CONTAINER GARDENING FOR ME, see below!
    I'm sorry I haven't responded to your helpful post, but I did checkout those links, and I even purchased a book on container gardening, but my luck has changed! A local organization I recently found allows you to rent raised beds! For under 30 bucks I have rented out 2, 4x12 feet raised beds!!! Again I am still new at this, but I have attended a few workshops now, but I may be back for more questions.

(for those curious, that 30 bucks includes a 10 deposit I will get back, 10 pounds of chicken manure, 6 free plants to transplant, 2 free packet of seeds, and all the rest of the transplants I buy will be 2 bucks for a pack of 6...I do not feel as if I got cheated :D )

What am I growing NOW that I have 2 raised beds?

Brussels sprouts,
    onions, green onions
    kale
    spinach
    lettuces
    tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes
    bell peppers (red, red-orange)
    eggplant, broccoli, and zucchini are being considered, but I'm working on planned layout and I have to figure out spacing sturff...

herbs: basil, oregano, chives, i haven't decided what else yet...

and garlic come fall (along with other cool weather crops, of course) I love me some gahlic!

I am having so much fun doing this planning, I can not wait to get to planting!!!

11. Chapter13

Chapter13 Member

everything.. i think.. aquired a smallholding six weeks ago.. about 10 acres. Mostly livestock (horses, gypsy ponies and goats.. liberally sprinkled with donkeys and chickens)

had to pinch a coupla acres of it for me gardens tho' :D

so far -

taters
    onions
    spring onions
    tomatoes
    lettuce
    leeks (all that still in the polytunnel, cept the taters)

sweetpeas
    nasturtiums (gotta have few flowers about)

apple trees
    rhubarb
    gooseberries
    raspberries
    blackberries
    blackcurrants
    redcurrants
    lavender

lots more to come.. me poor back :sunny:

12. DianaBee63

DianaBee63 Member

I still haven't got mine planted- My father and I have been trying to fix our 30 year old and falling apart rototiller.

Our peach trees might actually have fruit this year, so that's nice.
    I think we're planning on potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchinis, and who knows what else. I want to grow jalapenos and peppers to make salsa again :) Good luck for everyone in their gardening endeavors!

13. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

Onions-tomatos-peppers squash and cucumbers for now.

14. ripple

ripple Member

I hope my tomato seedlings are ok. It's saying -1c on my computer gadget tonight!

15. Lambskin

Lambskin Guest

Brandywine tomatoes
    Beefsteak tomatoes
    Cherry tomatoes
    oregano
    basil
    chives
    cayenne peppers
    ghost peppers
    jalapenos
    cabbage
    rosemary
    peppermint
    Cilantro
    pharaohs wheat
    Venus flytraps
    Dwarf blueberries

I have some trees too.
    4 apple trees
    1 plum tree
    1 lemon tree
    1 red eastern cedar tree
    1 Navel Orange tree

I'm sure I forgot something, but I think that is it.

16. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Right now, some kale, chard, lettuce, peas, kolrabi, collard greens, and carrots. Oh, and raspberries, but they won't fruit 'til next year.
    Seedlings yet to come out: more kale, collard, lettuce, and chard, plus some spinach. Also, I just started some peppers, eggplant, cucumbers, and pumpkin indoors. Will be planting outside ina few weeks. I know it's a little early, but it's been such a mild Winter and warm spring, I figured I could get away with it.

17. lilspiritem

lilspiritem Member

tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers i'm not sure what flowers I wanna plant though :sunny:

18. ripple

ripple Member

Enjoying looking up all these strange sounding plants! :-D

19. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

20. ripple

ripple Member

glyphosate is your friend :tongue: