The 'What are you growing?' 2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by ripple, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ripple

ripple Member

Being that the end of the world may be nigh and all that, what are you growing this year? Anything new? Exciting? Strange or just plain good?

2. sherlockholmes

sherlockholmes Member

I dont know what I'm growing this year. I've been lazy planning it out. Only plant I know for sure that I'll try is Korean Shiso. Maybe zucchini since I like it so much. I'd like to try growing rice, Just for the challenge.

Maybe a microgreens garden >.>....You've got me thinking now.

What are you planning to grow?

3. ripple

ripple Member

I've decided I'm not going to grow so many different things this year, but just stick to what I like eating and try a few new things that will grow for years to come. Sort of low maintenance style.

Shii take Mushrooms!
    Shallot - Instead of onions this year. This will mean that I don't have to buy onion sets next year, and save some money.
    Garlic - This gave me the idea for the shallots, I still have heaps left, and some will be used for this years bulbs.
    Potato - going to try one of the new all purple varieties this year, and an all white one.
    Pea - x2.
    Grape vine - for wine and newly planted this year, so I doubt ill get any fruit from it this year.
    Apple tree - same as the above, for cider.
    Tomato - I'll maybe post this list later, but I'm going to have about 20 varieties this year, all the weird and wonderful ones!

Plus the usual;
    Gooseberry
    Raspberry
    Blackcurrant
    Blueberry
    Rhubarb
    Lettuce
    Rocket
    Sprouts
    Basil
    Cucumber
    Courgette

4. sherlockholmes

sherlockholmes Member

I tried growing blueberries last year but they all got that red leaf thing. :( I still have the dead plants. Not sure why I kept them.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Maybe weeds again this year..... worked last year. No muss, no fuss, looked like crap and I couldn't eat them though. :(

6. sherlockholmes

sherlockholmes Member

You can eat Dandelion weeds. The leaves anyways.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I know....... They get choked out in the early spring by this other crap.....

8. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

I would really love to grow some heirloom tomatoes,,i did not have success with them last year,,soo im going to try again,,,,any other tomatoes i have no problem growing,,,,, does anyone have any tips on growing heirloom tomatoes

9. goodvibes83

goodvibes83 Senior Member

I am a new, aspiring gardener. My Saturday morning (today) has consisted of note taking for what will hopefully be a somewhat successful attempt at gardening on my own. Unfortunately in the house I'm renting, I am unable to 'dig up the yard' since there is underground wiring and my landlord doesn't remember exactly where his wires are located (frustrating). Because of this, I will be forced to use containers, and thus what I grow will be limited to the pots/containers I am able to afford, and that won't be much.

Eventually when I own my own home/land, I plan to have a raised bed, but as of now I will practice with containers. I WELCOME any and all advice from experienced growers!

I definitely want to plant some tomatoes, 'Tumbler' perhaps, but I'm not quite sure. In addition I will attempt to grow zucchini, in hopes of boosting my green-thumb confidence. Garlic and green onions are a few others I am eager to try, alongside oregano, basil, and rosemary.

time will tell, as will my funds...and I hope at least some of it turns into success! Since we have deer all over these parts i may have to invest in some wire caging to protect the crops.

10. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

Tomatoes, okra, squash, beans, Irish potatoes, sweet potatoes, watermelons, and for the first time this year - tobacco.

11. Brynn

Brynn Banned

I started most of my seeds indoors a few weeks ago:
    ~ sunflower
    ~ brussels sprouts
    ~ purple basil
    ~ cilantro
    ~ tomato
    ~ artichoke
    ~ celery
    ~ corn
    ~ cayenne peppers
    ~ beans
    ~ peas
    ~ carrots

Chard and lettuce have been growing indoor all winter but I'll sow a new batch in another 2 or 3 weeks once I'm ready to move all my baby plants into their beds on my edible front yard. The back yard is reserved for berries, melons, potatoes, asparagus, cabbage, pears, figs and olives.

12. Brynn

Brynn Banned

I had to look up rocket and I'm still a bit confused. Is it like spicy spinach? How do you prepare/eat it? Very interesting.

13. TheOnionMan

TheOnionMan Member

A lot of plans in the works for this upcoming growing season. The usuals Garlic, catnip, Raspberries, onions, lavender, mint, and Poblano chiles and bell peppers. Got my couple of years old rosemary, jasmine, and hibiscus to bring outside as well when the weather warms up. I'm trying out two new strains of tomatoes this year. A grape tomato variety called "Cabernet Hybrid" and a regular main season tomato called "New Hampshire Surecrop". Really excited to try out the latter. I'm also going to continue growing last years Chocolate Cherry tomatoes, they were delicious. Was disappointed with all of last years crops except for the Chocolate Cherry. Trying out a new variety of hardneck garlic as well called Siberian. Supposedly has higher than normal allicin rates which really helps support normal cholesterol levels and enhances circulation.Going to take some cuttings off of my Arabian Jasmine plant as well and try to clone it successfully. Thinking about trying cloning with my hibiscus plant as well. Also thinking of whether to purchase a dwarf lemon tree and try to grow it potted patio style. I've wanted to for a while. Oh and of course some of that sweet stuff as well. Really looking forward to this growing season. Can't wait for my tulips to pop up. Heard the snowdrops are coming up early this year, because of the warmer weather here on the east coast. No sign of my buddies yet, but I'm keeping an eye on where they are.

14. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Just seeds of change this year,,, :cheers2:

15. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

Having trouble determining the last frost date due to this unseasonably warm winter we've had.

We do container gardening. Trying to attempt plant guilds/companion planting. With a combo of sq. ft. gardening and permaculture.

Gonna start these seeds indoors in a week or so:
    Greens (Swiss chard, collards, salads)
    Broccoli & Cauliflower
    Sweet peas
    Beans
    Cukes

Then in a few more weeks, I'll start more seeds like:
    Corn
    Turnips
    Eggplant
    Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes
    Melons
    Squash
    Maters
    Peppers
    Herbs

Also going to attempt a patio fig tree, and cloning some prickly pear cactus. We love cactus fruit.

All complete with my feathered gardeners' contribution of manure and scratching,

16. FritzDaKatx2

Hey, if you're in the right climate, try establishing some clumps of Mormon tea, good stuff. Been out of the desert a fair while & I can still taste the stuff thinking about it.

17. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

We're not in the desert. Doesn't it have ephedrine in it? Wouldn't want my chickens losing weight lol.

18. FritzDaKatx2

It does, but a really low quantity and it's mostly just a stick shrub, no real leaves but annual flowers and seed pods which I have no idea regarding alkaloid content's for. Pretty in contrast to sand and sagebrush.

19. Skooky

Skooky Member

I'm growing older. :/

doing the usual, peas, beans, tomatos, cucumbers.
    More herbs and medicinal plants this year.
    going to try and grow gourds and tomatillos this year, that will be new for me.

20. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

I've grown a few heirloom tomatoes, what problems did you have?

It is possible to grow a tremendous amount in containers. Do you have specific questions, about the containers, soil, fertilizers, or ??? Or just general how-to-do-it? I and many of us have some experience and will be glad to help.
    Here is some good "Tumbler" tomato in containers info:
    http://christinas-garden.blogspot.com/2010/07/every-spring-for-4-years-now-ive-been.html
    http://christinas-garden.blogspot.com/2010/08/tumbler-tomatoes-in-containers-part-2.html

Deer are a pain in the .... well, can't think of a place they are NOT a pain. I hate to use them, but proper electric fencing and/or motion sensors that turn on loud music, lights, and a fan has worked for me.

Arugula, is a aromatic salad green. Also known as rocket, roquette, rugula and rucola, and is popular in Italian cuisine. One thing really special about Arugula is it is ready to harvest in 40 days, seed to harvest (hence the nick name "Rocket").

As for my plans for this year, I plan on growing mostly tomatoes and peppers. My little farm has been out of commission for the past few years due to health & other problems. When I moved out here into these woods, I only cleared space for my 3 gardens and some living area, so it didn't take long for the woods to reclaim the area I had borrowed. This year I hope I can re-reclaim some of what is now over grown. I plan to replant mostly perenials like chocolate mint, apple mint and a couple other mints, Piper nigrum (Black pepper), Camellia sinensis (tea) and propagate flowers from cuttings.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad