The earth is dying.

Discussion in 'The Future' started by rygoody, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

mother earth is a strong bitch. Mother earth reacts to humans' impact on the environment. Weather patterns change, hurricanes become stronger, water covers earth and takes back land humans claimed as their own. All these things serve as population control and also illustrate that the earth is stronger than the human race.

Even if we completely altered the atmosphere, plants and animals would adapt. I don't think humans have the power to alter the environment to the point of completely destroying the earth. I think humans will destroy themselves long before that happens.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Perhaps there is some beauty in the global downfall of a species that overdid it. Dying in luxury, hmmm... makes you all romantic about 2012 fantasies. Excuses in advance for bringing those up again.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well the luxury will sort of colapse for a while, possibly beginning in 5...4...3...2...

nor will the species, let alone the web of life, "die" with it when it does. a lot of people will probably get sick or starve because of it. if i'm wrong about that, well i hope i am, but either way, i don't think either the species or the web of life, and certainly no the mineral substrate of the planet are going to end in any absolute sense any time soon.

the colapse of the money thing, i think like that's mostly the colapse of an illusion, although old farts like me will probably starve because of it, if we're even still around to see it happen.

some percentage of people will survive. and it won't be the meanest bastards either. nor always the nicest. mostly the smartest, but smartist in what ways is almost impossible to predict before the fact. maybe not mensa/iq smartest either. earth smart maybe? whatever THAT turns out to mean.

i don't think they'll all be luddites either, though their, who knows how, might well turn out to be a few odd luddites among them.

might even be what seems like a random sampling. we live after all in a statistical universe. meaning greater and lessor probabilities aren't absolute linear yes and no.

i mean living or dead, in any physical sense, is of course a pretty absolute yes or no propisition, but WHO will be which, isn't.

4. rambleON

rambleON Coup

lol @ ppl calling earth "mother"

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

lol @ fundies

6. rambleON

rambleON Coup

fundies ?

7. O.W.L

O.W.L Member

was going to rep you...but couldnt. :)

I dont believe people are grasping just how long this earth has been around and how long its going to continue to be.

The earth was once a big piece of molten rock. The earth could survive anything..unless the sun blew up.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

Either a pejorative referencing fundamentalist Christians or recreational undergarments.

9. rambleON

rambleON Coup

lol undergarments it is.

10. Misty Mountain Hop

Misty Mountain Hop Member

Its only snowed for a few days this winter and it all melts so quickly and i live up north of the u.s lol

11. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Species come and go but the earth is just fine. In fact, the earth doesn't seem to be too big on stasis. That definitely has something to do with the fact that the vast majority of species that have ever existed became extinct long ago. When people talk about saving the Earth they often mean maintaining a habitat that is habitable for extant species, which seems to me to be an understandable but unnatural desire.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

The Earth really is a dumb name.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWUptVHNfvw"]Frank Zappa - Dumb All Over - YouTube

13. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

14. Phulazh

Phulazh Guest

Maybe Mother Earth is a gender confused, suicidal planet? One that created humans to deactivate the magnetic shield. Because She envies Mars and wants to be like Him; a desolate speck of sand washed clean by solar winds.

15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

How can anyone say the Earth isn't dying? Our ozone layer is deteriorating, letting in toxic UV rays that are killing the life on the planet slowly.

Humans are also killing the earth by killing each other and everything else that lives here. Trees getting cut down, water and oil being used up, etc. Do I need to mention global warming? The planet will be a wasteland at some point. If you don't consider that dead, then I don't know what is.

16. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

only thing dying are humans

17. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

global warming is a hoax, the earth goes through a continual wave of temperatures, but the earth is dying that why we will be wiped off to give her some breathing room and time to recollect

18. SuperPsychMe

SuperPsychMe Member

Earth Dying =/= Humans going extinct

19. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Bring on the "Dune" scenario.Sounds exciting...

20. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

What an incredibly ignorant response. Actually, many responses on this thread have been quite pathetic in the light of such a serious issue. Yes, life on this Earth is being wiped out at an alarming rate. And it is drastically escalating. And the vast majority of it is on the hands of humans. If we do not take serious direct action immediately, the future will be more horrid than even our worst nightmares could fathom, for all life to inherit this Earth.