What is the success rate for quitting heroin?

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by polishman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. polishman

polishman Member

Is it even possible to stay clean? I haven't used for about a month, I really want to quit for good. What is the success rate? I heard that the cravings go away after 3 months, and then it's over. Is this true? I'm starting to worry that I'll never be free of this slavery and be a junkie forever. I read Brandon Novak's book "Dreamseller" at the end he get's clean, but I just found out that he's still a junkie.

If I could go back in time and never have tried this damn cursed drug.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have no idea but I wish you all the success in the world with this.

3. funktastic

funktastic Senior Member

you know man, theres a quote i like, it's

'' we didnt know it was impossible, so we made it ''

(kinda like that)

stay positive bro

4. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I believe I have read that the 5 year relapse rate is around 95%. I will try to find the citation in a bit, but I am very much sure that this number is correct.

5. mattrx

mattrx Member

the % of people that eventually end up getting clean is pretty small...you cant let that get you down...the way i look at it is very possible to get clean...you have to put your head down and take your addiction head on...It was scary for me getting clean, wondering if i was even gonna enjoy life not being on opiates...

I had to find hobbies to occupy my time and start hanging out with a diffrent group of people so i wasnt around the constant "Hey man you wanna get high" group of people...for me that was the hardest part....separating myself from my friends of 5+ yrs....when i finally started being around positive people i eventually noticed that i was being more positive also....Win!!

6. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

Wanna know how to quit Really easy? Cut off your supply. Let everyone know that sells or gets you Heron is a pile of shit, or something along those lines. But dont say anything that will make them want to murder you.

Thats how I did it. I am now 1 1/2 years sober and plan to stay this way.

And if you cant do it, find a different addiction like weed ;) *Wink* or Cigarettes :( Anything that wont kill you as fast but has nearly the same addiction potential.

I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK! GET THROUGH THIS! I WILL DO ANYTHING I CAN TO HELP YOU!

7. polishman

polishman Member

Thanks man, the 95% relapse rate is depressing, but your story gives me hope. I heard that staying away from ALL drugs is better in preventing relapse, then I heard from others that benzos help deal with cravings and weed helps. So I'm not sure.

I'm past the withdrawals, just have the mental cravings now. A friend told me this goes away after 3 months and you are back to normal? Is this true?

8. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Dont start any benzos or anything to help with it. Dont talk to any one who uses. Dont hang out with any one who uses. Do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend? If you dont, maybe getting one will help a lot. They can be really supportive and keep you occupied. Best of luck! :)

9. cosmoknot

cosmoknot Humboldt County Homey

I believe that statistically it's around 10% of dope addicts quit for good.

I've wrestled with this issue ever since shattering my spine and though my dope is Opana ER 40mg 60x monthly/Dilaudid 8mg 90x monthly free (disability), I do any opioid around when given the chance. I'm outta dope ATM cuz some horseshit went down and I was robbed, but if not for that, I'd surely be banging dillies and snorting oxymorphs right now and nodding rather than using kratom, clonidine, antihistamines, benzodiazapines and anti-diarrhea meds to get through until next week kicking like this. Dope is a seductive mistress.

10. cosmoknot

cosmoknot Humboldt County Homey

But what if your habit is medically necessary as in my case? I think you'd find the ratio of crippled people and healthcare professionals addicted is higher than you'd care to know.

I know everyone has a different story for why they became a junkie, but it's always about burying pain. Even emotional as opioids are effective antidepressants.

11. aesthetic

aesthetic Z

To be honest, I have never stopped craving it. I have never stopped craving blow, weed, Heron, Cigarettes, E, Mush, Oxies. You name it.

But I could say the same for apples and bannanas.

I suffered from withdrawals but not very dramatic ones, I was just exhausted and really depressed. I also felt very desperate and very much a virgin to life. It all really stopped when I switched to the weed. But I have heard of other drugs causing thoughts of Addiction and desperation towards the chemical. for your case I would recommend staying away from everything until you know you can handle a lighter drug. Or just stop cold turkey* DO NOT TAKE BENZOS they are one of the most unsafe and unstable medication I have ever taken, I didnt even take it for heron but I fellt really numb and stupid. It also has a high addiction rate along with a high abuse rate and High tolerence rate.

I heard that if you talk to a doctor about certain cases you can get medical heroine but it is only used in front of a doctor, they don't prescribe it or anything you go in every now and then and they give you a dose Almost like nicotine patches :). Not sure how much you would have to take it up with your doctor . I know for a fact this is what they do with morphine. Heron and Morphines are practically the same so I am not sure why they wouldn't.

12. mephist00

mephist00 Member

Quitting is possible, it just takes willpower. However the biggest problem is Relapsing. It seems the relapse rate for opiates is very high, stats say that over 90% of people eventually relapse.

But with good willpower, and keeping busy, (I've found the most IMPORTANT part of not relapsing is keeping busy! Working or some hobby that keeps your mind clear) it is very possible to stay clean. I wish whoever tries the best of luck.

I've been doing pretty damn good since I got out of jail, I've only partied 2 times since then but im still addiction free. (Meaning I don't go thru withdrawals and worry about getting drugs)

13. SirItchAlot

SirItchAlot Member

It's possible but hard as fock! I've been off the H for a year and a half now and I still get cravings sometimes. Their not as intense as they used to be. Do yourself a favor and get on suboxone it'll help alot IMO. I even got off the subs some months back pretty easy compared to the H. Good luck either way, your gonna need it bro..

14. Trippin' Billies

Trippin' Billies Senior Member

idle time is an addicts worst fucking enemy! try to occupy yourself with ANYTHING, because when we as addicts have free time, is when we start to scheme and lust and crave. It's a seductive mistress like you said for sure, but you gotta stay positive, keep busy, and be willing to accept lifes on lifes terms. several times i've let outside influences (deaths, break ups, job trouble, etc) lead me to chose to relapse, but ya just gotta come to the realization that life isn't all peaches and cream ya know? that was the toughest thing of any stint of sobriety i'd had, was dealing with the low times. Beceause heroin was always my go-to coping mechanism for what ever the fuck was happeneing at the time. It takes time to forge new coping skills and the like, but know that it is possible, others had done it, and so can we... stay positive brother, were all in this fight together, just know that you are not alone, be good, be safe, best wishes