Immortality

Discussion in 'The Future' started by easygoing, Jan 7, 2012.

1. easygoing

easygoing conservative jerk

Might actually be possible at some point in the not too distant future(2050 realistically).

Just download your consciousness into a computer before you die.

2. broony

broony Banned

I dont know about that one....i think that kind of technology is farther than 40 years, this is starwars future stuff... Even then i dont think downloading your consciousness and re-uploading it into another body would be the same as when you are first born.

Sounds too much like 'playing god'

3. funktastic

funktastic Senior Member

i'd rather start it all over and make it right the next time than stick with the same life for my entire life

4. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

Would you really want immortality if you knew all the same rich d-bag politicians would still be there forever?
    And just what kind of life would you have in a computer? Can you imagine how controlled your world would be?

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Not quite the same thing, but it would be cool if you could come back and warn your reincarnated self about some shit before they step in it.... Just sayin'

6. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Reminds me a bit of these people who are prepared to pay a fortune to have their bodies cryogenically preserved when they die, just in case some time in the future we learn how to revive them.

Even if we do, I bet (a) we've chosen the wrong preservation method, and/or (b) it will only work with bodies which were still alive, not already dead, when put into cold store.

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I suppose "they" can make computers almost human-but I don't understand how wires,chips and whatever else goes into them could ever be considered to be a person ,regardless of the information given them. Your ideas,background and the way you dealt with human situations could be put in--however,your physical body would still become worm chow at some point and the machine that held your information could still be unplugged,rendering you-GONE. Almost is the key here.

8. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

All substance has a expiration date.

Energy, the energizer bunny, keeps going and going......

9. HeartOfEurope

HeartOfEurope Member

So many novels have been written on this subject. After reading a few of them I don't think anyone would be interested in living forever. Maybe just long enough to fix everything, to make suer your children are secured and you're not leaving anything unfinished, I guess.

10. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I find this interesting.

There was a time when I was in the world seeking,

Now the time to give away what I found.

Value is not realized in the purchase price, but in the spending of it.

11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

deleted--off topic

12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Every time I think about this question I hearken back to the play “The Immortal Gentleman”

It deals with a small group of immortals--one of whom, because of a random genetic defect--is unaware of his privileged status. As he learns about himself at a clandestine meeting of immortals he learns of a plot to which he is forced to participant. A scheme to kill the old ones who have lived for over 5,000 years but do not die (as was accustomed before immortality) in order to pave the way for those who are younger.

In several sequences our "Immortal Gentleman" experiences several jarring identity crises as he finds himself first in one reality and then inexplicably in another...one of which is the far future, where the plot takes a number of twists that eventually determine his unexpected course of action; the whole serving to illuminate several timeless questions about immortality that only science-fiction can answer.

Hotwater

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

some things are not told to people of this planet for a reason.
    man i wish humanity would grow up so that i could.