I have a dream...

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by darkus13, Jan 7, 2012.

1. darkus13

darkus13 Member

I have a dream in which college isn't just a phase you have to go through in order to earn more money.
    I have a dream in which professors aren't total douchebags, in the sense that they don't fail you if you disagree with them, they don't treat you like a slave, they don't act as if they know everything there is to know in this world, etc.
    I have a dream in which students and professors talk for hours on end about philosophy, and literature, and society, and so on, without anyone giving a fuck that the class ended three hours ago.
    I have a dream in which students actually enjoy learning and in which professors actually enjoy teaching.
    I have a dream in which anyone can benefit from education, not just legacy WASP's that went to expensive prep-schools.
    I have a dream in which people consider their majors based on what they actually like, not how much money does it get.
    I have a dream in which academics aren't so stuck up in their ivory tower and actually want to do something for society.
    I have a dream in which professors give open lectures and people actually show up.

I have a dream today!

Thus, I rest my case.

2. Rutz

Rutz The Farming Communist

You, sir, are a crackpot.
    I envy you.

3. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Anyone who can actually spell 'college' (while they're in there) is a plus!

:2thumbsup:

4. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

it wasn't a dream

you watched dead poets society.

5. darkus13

darkus13 Member

Meh, Dead poets society is about a prep school(which kinda breaks one of my points), I was talking about college, yet i am aware that such places exist(or at least used to-check Black Mountain College, for example), yet I would like most of them to be that way. Education is a great social phenomenon, unfortunately, poorly implemented nowadays.

6. DrKlunk

DrKlunk weewoo island

this would require our over-privileged American selves to actually value our education, because an education isnt something we need to make a living but something youve earned and proven ourselves capable of. if you can add, subtract, and use common sense then you have the potential to advance in anything in the food, retail, mail, just about any industry.

the people still in school obviously enjoy their education and clearly dont mind spending the money. your dream has come true my friend, for the most part, its just a matter of how you look at it. there are students who never leave their favorite class due to conversations with their professor. I wrote essays in email just talking to my online psych (personality development/transpersonal) about what could and couldnt be.

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U"]RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms - YouTube