I've failed at college twice.

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Comfortablynumb11, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Something tells me I lack the motivation and focus nessisary to complete a degree. I am probably intelligent enough to get a degree, but without the motivation and focus its not going to happen.

I guess in order to be motivated and focused i have to want to be there, and I have to feel like its actually helping me reach my goals in life which is probably not going to happen either. Not to mention do I really want to keep taking out loans for something that probably wont really do any good? I think not I regret even taking out the loans I already did before I determined college was a waste of time for me.

So yeah that is my experiance with college, not that anyone should really care but I'm bored as hell so if this is boring go read something else.

2. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Mcdonalds

3. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Uhh I think I would rather die than work there...though I imagine I would probably get fired before I managed to find a way to die. Besides if I am going to work at a food place it at least has to serve food I can eat and tolerate the smell of.

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

So stream line the thought and take hospitality, buisness, become a chef and open your own little joint in the future that can stand the smell of. ;)

Or discover your own passion and work it. That simple and that complicated.

Life is opportunity. if you want it and reach for it.

Welcome to hip. :)

5. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

it sound like you might need to do a little growing up

6. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I don't think you understood what I meant when I wrote mcdonalds..

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Yup nothing wrong with that and sometimes the sooner the better. Makes life a whole lot smoother and rewarding. :)

8. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

I am inclined to disagree, this could very well be the only life I have to live, so I see nothing wrong with wanting to spend my time doing something I can enjoy. I've tried college and it clearly did not work out, fast food is just not something I have any intrest in so I don't think that will be the next thing I pursue. sorry I wont be serving anyone burgers anytime soon.

9. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Well define rewarding not everyone wants the same things in life. What's rewarding to everyone else might not be rewarding to me.

10. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Its a possibility.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

What about a trade school?

12. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

I've thought about it, but I am not quite sure how I would afford it, or it theres even any trade school programs I'm intrested in and would enjoy. I'll probably just have to look for a job or something....just haven't figured it out yet because college is what I've been doing off and on for the past few years.

13. darkus13

darkus13 Member

I've got one question for you: What do you enjoy doing? I mean everyone likes something in the lines of writing, music, computers, etc. pick a college that you think would improve your abilities and/or is in tune with your passions. And pick a more alternative, bohemian school. And don't think about how it will benefit you. Just enjoy yourself!

14. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Well I am very intrested in music, not so much playing it...as I dont seem to be blessed with much musical skill. But I like finding good new music, going to concerts and reading up on the bands. I am very intrested in plants/herbs but I have yet to really start experimenting with growing them and such

Those are a couple things, but i don't know that there are any jobs pertaining to either, not that it makes me enjoy those things any less. Also its hard to enjoy myself when I know I am being buried alive in college loan debt the longer I keep going to college. If I ever do go back to college it will be sometime in the distant future because I am done with it for now.

15. darkus13

darkus13 Member

Well, that's why I'm thankful that my country offers pretty much free college(at least, many state-funded places).
    As for your interests, sound engineering would be great for someone who likes music per se, but not playing it, and obviously for plants there's botany, but still... perhaps you could get an associate's degree at a cheap junior college so you don't have to worry too much about student loans.

16. nattilee

nattilee Member

You're right, college isn't for everyone.

But if you don't want to work at fast food (and don't act like you could never end up in that situation, anything can happen to anyone) then you need a plan. I mean you really sound kinda clueless about what you want to do.

Do you like working with your hands? Joining the union provides good money, on the job education, and security. A good option to earn quick cash to pay off the debts is to go get a CDL. I always see ads for CDL drivers wanted. You're young, I'm assuming you don't have kids/wife or anything. So you'd be gone a lot, but making money and you'd have plenty of time to think about what you want and what you should do while on the road. A career of it might not be too bad either. Just a couple options which don't need any type of degree.

You don't need college depending on what you want in life. But you do need to do something.

17. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

well that kinda was the plan more or less, but it did not work out and I am quite burnt out on college so I don't plan on going back at least until after I've attempted to figure something else out and even then its unlikely.

18. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Not only do I not want to work in fast food, I am pretty sure I would get fired on the first day. I don't function well at all in fast paced, high stress, crowded environments and I suck at math so I am not too great at dealing with money and cash registers. I could go on but I don't really feel like writing a wall of text about why I would get fired from such a job.

I would not have a wife in general as I am female, and I don't want kids. As for driving I don't even have a drivers licence. Also you are right about me having no real idea of what I want to do in life.

19. Momojojo

Momojojo Guest

Wow! sounds familiar in ways to myself. College is not easy and if you ask me working a average job is much easier!! My problem is with the average job (ex. Office work, retail...) is that I get completely bored and I'm usually ready to move on to something else. Is this the case for you? I too have been in college off and on, but more on lately. It was hard to figure out what I wanted to do. So when I took my last break (3 quarters off:/) I started getting back into hiking which rapidly evolved into sport climbing, glacier traveling and overall mountaineering! I realized all of these things could be intertwined with my career. I have been going to school to get my BSN and now I know that I would love to be an expedition nurse. Get paid to go travel and have fun and be inspired!

20. Momojojo

Momojojo Guest

You can look into mastergardening programs in your area also. Where I live there are programs that do not cost you money. Instead, when you have completed your certification over a 5 year period you would donate around 200 hours of teaching to students like yourself. Not a gob of money in it unless your cisco or something BUT I also love plants and worked for and managed a very large Nursery. I then started a little design business designing and maintaining planters for medical offices, insurance offices, restaurants. I started my business with 1 client who was a chiropractor. My business took off so fast and because I had 3 small children I opted to sell my business and made a great chunk of change. I hope that anything I shared will help you in your pathfinding!
    Good Luck!