My GPA is really bad!

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by Stephy in wonderland, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Stephy in wonderland

Stephy in wonderland Member

So I'm not as concerned with failing 2 out of 4 classes this past semester. Well I am concerned, but not as much as I am with my GPA.
    I have a 0.76 as a GPA. I have NEVER had a GPA this low before. I'm taking 4 classes next semester and this means that I have to get 3 A's and a B to get out of academic probation.
    I feel like such a failure though. I feel really disgusted with myself. I know I can do better next semester and raise my GPA, but at the moment, I'm just so sick of myself.
    What can I do?

2. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

thank you drive thru

3. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Start working hard. No worries, it is what it is... Just study and do your work!

4. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

All you can do is put it behind you and work your tail off next semester.

5. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

What's a GPA???

6. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I think it means "grade point average" - could be wrong though.

7. Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus Member

Yes, Grade Point Average, it's a score tallied by finding the mean of all of your class scores. It's usually out of a 4.0 system, sometimes 5.0. And I've heard of a 6, but I can't verify if that exists. Anyways, assume our friend here is on a 5.0 scale. A 5 would equal an A+ (100%+) 4.0 A- (90%) 3.0 B-, 2.0 C-, 1.0 D-, Anything lower is an F.

To OP, that just kind of sucks.. You can always try to talk to your professors, but I know most aren't amused by people trying to fix their score at the end of the year. But if not that, at least tell them you care enough to be ashamed of it, better that then having teachers be "out to get you" your next semester. Best of luck, and remember that life isn't about scores. Work, jobs, it's all about connections. Once you get out and work, just an effort and connections will bring you far enough. Then you may even look back at this and laugh. A part-time job is always a good start, there's more to life than school

8. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

If you don't like a low grade point average, don't get low grades. THAT's what, and all, you can do about it.

9. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Thank god, it`s not his GPS.

10. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Hey - whoever gave me a "don't like" for this - what's your problem??

11. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

why do you care?

12. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Ha ha - it's like the "answer a question with a question" game.

I care because there's somebody there who seems to think (a) that people shouldn't try to remedy their ignorance by asking for enlightenment, and (b) that this is a point which should be made in a cowardly anonymous way by clicking "don't like" rather than by having the courage to stick their neck out and post what they think.

There's a debate to be had here ... but it's a bit difficult to conduct it if one side is going to hide behind an anonymous and unspecific "don't like" rather than posting their view and opening it up for discussion.

I also care because the OP posted seeking advice and views ... and until the particular acronym is demystified, I am in no position to assist. Somebody out there seems to think that rather than trying to answer the OP, I should just say "Oh well - they're using terms that I don't understand. They must be so much more intelligent than me that I cannot possibly have anything useful to say to them, so I'll just slink off to some dark corner and hope nobody notices me".

Well - I ain't like that.

That's why I care.

13. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Is it not the case that the youngest general in American history graduated bottom of his class at West Point? So maybe academic scores aren't the be-all and end-all. :daisy:

14. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

Maybe they did - but given that I've just received three more "don't likes" on my posts on this thread, I somehow doubt it!

Hey guys, whoever you are - get this: somebody asks for advice, and uses a term I don't understand, I'll ask what it means. You have a problem with that? Well, have the balls to stand up and tell us all what it is, why don't you? Explain your position. Have the courage of your convictions, huh? This is a free speech board - so speak out. Tell us what you think, and why you have a problem with that. That's how free speech works, yeah?

15. skip

skip Founder Administrator

To the OP,
    Well maybe if you went to class and actually paid attention, you might do better! Doesn't look like you can do worse!

Here's a tip I learned my first year in college. If I didn't like the prof, I would skip classes and read everything.

If I really liked the prof, I would attend all the classes and skip the reading.

Ended up graduating cum laude (with a 3.8 gpa), so I guess it works!

To illustrate: I had one philosophy prof who was so burned out on LSD, that you couldn't even follow his train of thought which would lead everywhere (he was probably on acid in the class!). So I read everything he assigned, and wrote an intriguing term paper which I aced. I think I got a B in the class even though I only attended two classes! When he handed me back my term paper, he didn't even recognize me as his student. Of course thanks to his influence, I ended up doing lots of LSD that term...

16. learn2see

learn2see Member

Your school should offer free tutors.

17. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

U really need to keep track of the withdraw date

18. OneOfTheDifference

OneOfTheDifference Member

Hey, Stephy in Wonderland - sounds to me like you aren't really interested in what you
    are studying, or you'd be doing better. I agree with what Black Lotus said: "... there's more to life than school."

People excel at something that they are truly passionate about - which is what they
    should do or study. It is, perhaps, their "calling." I think it is likely that you are
    caught up in, or stuck in, a field of endeavor that is not for you. If it were your
    "cup of tea", it would show simply by the fact that you would be getting good grades
    because you liked what you were studying. I have no idea if what you are currently studying is something that you chose, or something that somebody else signed you up for. If you're in it due to someone else's choice, you're gettin' a raw deal and should back out of it and pursue something else, if you absolutely have to attend school.

You may want to entertain the thought of stepping back to take a look at what it is
    you are actually pursuing. Consider these thoughts: "is this something that I really want to do?"; and, "If I'm not really very good at this particular avenue I'm heading down, maybe I should change course and take a different path that I will be better at, because it is something that I am truly interested in."

I am in complete disagreement with what "Roorshack" said, when he said "... don't get
    low grades - that's what, and all, you can do about it." That is simply not correct.
    There are plenty of things you can think about doing about it. Moreover, like I've already said - people will do well at something they enjoy doing; as it is their calling.

That said, one thing you CAN do about it, is: it might be a good idea to make an appointment to talk with whatever academic counselor-type people that should be available within your institution, and tell them how you honestly feel. Tell them you need help and/or advice on what to do, because you feel that they may have signed you up for the wrong endeavor, as you are not doing well because it's not the right field for you. Think of it this way: everybody does a different job; and it may just be that you haven't discovered the right one for you yet. It's not the end of the world - if you examine your situation and change course - it could be the beginning of something grand. Remember this: people excel at what they're good at.

Ask yourself this question:
    "Am I interested in what I'm studying, and do I enjoy what I'm doing?"

You can do it, Stephy!
    Regards, One Of The Difference

"Pursue your passion like it's the last bus of the night!"
    ....... Author Unknown