Photo
- - - - -

Marijuana makes me think really negative thoughts and get really paranoid. Anyone els

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Xamanus

Xamanus

• Guests
  • 12 posts

Posted December 17 2011 - 11:01 AM

I used to smoke daily, for about a year. Then one day the highs got really intense and made me critique myself and make me really paranoid about how people perceive me.
I'd get paranoid...I don't really know how to explain what it is that I felt. It's like I forgot how to interact with people. Paranoia made me so anxious that I couldn't say anything or do anything but simple nothingness. It wasn't fun or relaxing anymore. I beat myself up so badly (mentally, that is), that every thought I had, seemed to have a hidden meaning. I just ended up mentally paralyzed. im just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

#2 Aerianne

Aerianne

She Who Is

• Moderators
  • 11,447 posts
  • LocationMetro-Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Posted December 17 2011 - 11:04 AM

Pot always makes me feel super self-conscious. I don't enjoy the feeling.

I AM PRESENTLY EXPERIENCING LIFE AT THE RATE OF SEVERAL WTF's PER HOUR!!!

#3 LeviathanXII

LeviathanXII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted December 17 2011 - 11:57 AM

Happens to me all the time, but I still smoke daily. You have to think of sober life, it has ups and downs, so when you smoke a lot you have to assume not all the time is going to be up. Sometimes negative thoughts happen. Not that they are good, if you feel the negative thoughts are becoming too stressful or too frequent then stop using.
He sought his old habitual fear of death and could not find it. Where was it? What death? There was no more fear because there was no more death.

#4 Rugor

Rugor

• 1,183 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 09:08 PM

http://www.hipforums...p?t=440809&f=44

read this thread
Posted Image

#5 Duck

Duck

quack.

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 22,857 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 09:57 PM

When I smoke, I either veg out or I think like crazy.

I'll have crazy deep and revealing thoughts. Often unsettling things about how I could be treating my girlie better, or how I feed into my own bad habits/laziness, etc.

It's annoying, but can be rather welcomed when they are the right thoughts.

Other than being way too self-reflective; the main bad effects I have from smoking are that I can't talk on the phone for shit most of the time (which is a primary way I have contact with said girlie), and that I fall asleep during movies with my contacts in.
Check out my poetry

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stand up for your rights.

#6 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• 11,801 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted December 19 2011 - 10:26 PM

It amplifies what's already there...

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~

#7 cass_jenner

cass_jenner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted December 20 2011 - 03:28 AM

Wow - that is EXACTLY what happens to me. Same thoughts, same shit. It didn't used to be like that - it just used to be fun but now my head gets in the way. I kind of ignored it for a couple of years but finally had to say to myself "if it aint making you happy anymore then its time to stop"
So I did - I think many people arrive at that place - and its okay. Now I have a spliff maybe once a year, and all I want to do is listen to music and get lost in it. Really find it hard to talk to people though and "be there"
A friend of mine is a college professor and he smokes a big ol' pipe before he goes to work of a morning! I would turn to jelly. Another friend is a construction foreman same thing. Weird.
Its just time to stop smoking dude! Doesn't make you weird.
Well, no weirder than me anyhoo.......

#8 Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat

In a state of ketosis

• Members
  • 28,673 posts

Posted December 20 2011 - 03:36 AM

I've been smoking for 15 years and still encounter this problem. It most often occurs when smoking from a bong, or if it's really potent weed. The only thing you can do, aside from not smoking, is simply redirect your thoughts when they become negative. Think positive. Try not to dwell on negative things.

If you're young and this keeps bothering you, I would advise that you stop smoking, otherwise you're going to develop deep-rooted personality issues where functioning in the real world becomes very difficult. I speak from experience. I am a very withdrawn, paranoid person. I sometimes wonder if I would be this way if I stopped smoking early on, when these symptoms developed. It goes all the way back to high school for me.

MI0000018559.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

#9 tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar

Interneter

• 1,540 posts

Posted December 20 2011 - 09:02 PM

I usually make elaborate, often irrational, plans for the future and smoke too many cigarettes. I'm quite the lightweight these days so if I smoke I usually behave impulsively and awkwardly and get a bit self-conscious, but I don't get paranoid about it because I feel like I'm with cool people that aren't judging me.

Sometimes my attention span gets totally fucked though. I'll be 45 min into a movie and think "have I really been watching this cuz I have no clue what's going on"
Posted Image

#10 rollingalong

rollingalong

mister

•  Supporters
  • 18,945 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted December 20 2011 - 09:25 PM

weed has never made me feel anything other than better than right before i smoked the weed...never 1 single time never ever

so lets review

weed-good

no weed-no good

#11 trekker

trekker

Intrepid Traveler

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 05:43 PM

I get very anxious and paranoid if I smoke weed. I have given it up. I used to smoke daily. It just started to have negative effects that are stronger than the positive one's. I still think it is a very interesting weed that is a godsend to many; just not me anymore.
Visualize Whirrled Peas!

#12 The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being

PAIN IN ASS

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 11,642 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:24 PM

i don't understand pot smokers

as i have gotten older i have equally become more independent

one has to grow up - it's perfectly normal.

however - as this is the case

i am hardly a care free teenager anymore.

smoking pot makes paranoid also

and life's complications make this worse

so i believe people who can honestly still do find enjoyment out of the damned stuff

either have a redundant intolerance to it - weakening the point

maybe they have no cares

or no challenges in their life

where perhaps there need to be.

to me it's what living is all about.

this is an opinion based on the people i know who smoke it personally

aspiration!?? what's one of those?? :confused:

but then... live and let live.

#13 Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:33 PM

I do sometimes feel like that while under the influnce of marijuana but I garantee I would be feeling it even worse if I did not smoke cannabis.

#14 onesublimesister

onesublimesister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted January 12 2012 - 06:52 PM

I spent 5 wks in NorCal back in the fall and was high at least 14 hours a day almost every day. It took its toll. I think I actually picked fights with my friends because I couldn't think clearly.

Was glad to sober up at home to my 8 joints a day with thedope.
An asshole is every bit as important as a mouth.

#15 rollingalong

rollingalong

mister

•  Supporters
  • 18,945 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted January 13 2012 - 05:50 AM

i don't understand pot smokers

as i have gotten older i have equally become more independent

one has to grow up - it's perfectly normal.

however - as this is the case

i am hardly a care free teenager anymore.

smoking pot makes paranoid also

and life's complications make this worse

so i believe people who can honestly still do find enjoyment out of the damned stuff

either have a redundant intolerance to it - weakening the point

maybe they have no cares

or no challenges in their life

where perhaps there need to be.

to me it's what living is all about.

this is an opinion based on the people i know who smoke it personally

aspiration!?? what's one of those?? :confused:

but then... live and let live.

if you knew me personally you would change your mind a wee bit

paranoia stems from your own lives and beliefs...the weed may be bringing it out occasionally but those feelings are still down deep when you arent smoking........

#16 The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being

PAIN IN ASS

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 11,642 posts

Posted January 13 2012 - 05:54 AM

if you knew me personally you would change your mind a wee bit

paranoia stems from your own lives and beliefs...the weed may be bringing it out occasionally but those feelings are still down deep when you arent smoking........

i am aware i was generalising

it is the company that you keep at the end of the day.

but i like being an ass hole sometimes :mickey:

#17 rollingalong

rollingalong

mister

•  Supporters
  • 18,945 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted January 13 2012 - 06:34 AM

i am aware i was generalising

it is the company that you keep at the end of the day.

but i like being an ass hole sometimes :mickey:

i must have missed those other times when you arent an assholePosted Image

#18 Tw1zZ

Tw1zZ

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 06:38 AM

Lots of people who start smoking pot actually have underlying mental issues which the pot unfortunately brings out. This happens to about 5% of the people who first try it, and about 10% of smokers who haven't had any problems for years will eventually be DIAGNOSED with some sort of mental illness at some point in their life.

#19 Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown

Firecracker

• Members
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone in southern US

Posted January 15 2012 - 06:56 AM

I don't "keep any company"...am the true definition of a loner.

My connection has not had anything in a little over 2 weeks, and I not only feel AWFUL, as in terrible depression but I'm now taking valiums, just to get through the damn day without hurting something (including myself).

Also, I must say I was shocked at the GARBAGE I found coming out of TIB! If you are soooo against weed and "don't understand pot smokers" etc etc - I'm quite surprised you continue to come to this site! If I did not like pot - I certainly would NOT come to a site where the beauty and wonder of it is held by the vast majority of ppl there! I am 55 and have smoked for the better part of 35 yrs. My mind and overall well-being is, without a doubt, much better with the partaking of marijuana.

#20 Billyx1120

Billyx1120

• 2,155 posts
  • LocationWyth in the Shaw = Manchester - England

Posted January 15 2012 - 07:26 AM

It's the way that it goes with the subject matter
Like a lot of substances - it depends on the quality

http://www.hipforums...66&type=profile

< Peace + Love . Protest + Protect . Save the Planet > :peace:

#21 Mind_Explorer

Mind_Explorer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted January 15 2012 - 08:23 AM

Watch television, read a book, go outside or do something other then sit there and think about yourself when smoking marijuana.

Relax and don't sit there stare at the wall and think intensely about yourself and your problems. If your getting paranoid change your environment to somewhere your comfortable.

Maybe try a different strain that is more Indica dominant.
Posted Image

#22 0dd_Flower

0dd_Flower

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 06:24 PM

It's not paranoia your experiencing ,you mind is expanding and is becoming more aware...

Reason why it's illegal.

#23 Jay_Billionz

Jay_Billionz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted January 18 2012 - 07:03 PM

When I start getting those overly self-examining thoughts I play xbox360 (live) and chat with people and shit... it really gets your mind off of yourself.

When I started smoking weed I kinda enjoyed those thoughts and would write notes on how to better my life... But now those thought are uncomfortable. Also I find when your are not at home, your mind is on other things other than yourself... So try smoking and going to the mall or somethin..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#24 MellowViper

MellowViper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted February 05 2012 - 08:52 PM

It happened to me one time. I was with some people I didn't know. Then they started saying mean stuff and treating me like an idiot because of how I was being self conscious around them. It snow balled until I was just mentally paralyzed, and it kept building as their negativity toward me grew more and more.

#25 Xamanus

Xamanus

• Guests
  • 12 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 06:24 AM

It's not paranoia your experiencing ,you mind is expanding and is becoming more aware...

Reason why it's illegal.

Exactly what im thinking, I am not sure if its my horrible negative thinking or its just mind becoming aware. I can never think these thoughts sober and there will get so intense. Anyway does anyone know a solution for the intense thoughts and just enjoy my trip?

#26 Just a daily toke

Just a daily toke

• 1,702 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 09:00 AM

try this, not giving a fuck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Just a daily toke

Just a daily toke

• 1,702 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 09:01 AM

"]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 kokujin

kokujin

• 1,683 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 09:07 AM

When I smoke, I either veg out or I think like crazy.

I'll have crazy deep and revealing thoughts. Often unsettling things about how I could be treating my girlie better, or how I feed into my own bad habits/laziness, etc.

It's annoying, but can be rather welcomed when they are the right thoughts.

Other than being way too self-reflective; the main bad effects I have from smoking arethat I can't talk on the phone for shit most of the time (which is a primary way I have contact with said girlie), and that I fall asleep during movies with my contacts in.

You're a regular smoker, how long have you been smoking? How do you still get this high? I take 4 days to a week thc breaks, and only get about 2 grams per weekend and I just mellow out.

To OP, I used to be hella self-conscious (still am in a way) but weed for sure reminded me of it. It probably helps to see everyone is like this too so don't think you are a special case and some sad depressed muhfucker or something (I totally did at the time).

One of the first times I smoked, I literally examined my whole life and young upbringing with very honest and depressed thoughts. Perhaps stupidly I decided not to run away but fully explore said thoughts. The nice thing is I don't do these things too much anymore, because I've already gotten them out of the way growing up and maturing, and I've developed some decent habits at maintaining a stress free and stable relationship with my ego. Perhaps work on said issues in your sober life so you're not subconsciously still upset about them the next time you're high.

Weed can bring this out, specially for newbies so be prepared to accept, face, or manage said thoughts.

#29 Duck

Duck

quack.

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 22,857 posts

Posted August 11 2012 - 06:28 PM

You're a regular smoker, how long have you been smoking? How do you still get this high? I take 4 days to a week thc breaks, and only get about 2 grams per weekend and I just mellow out.

Gravity bongs or big glass bongs; irregular smoking habits; and probably a little luck. Been smoking for 10 years.
Check out my poetry

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stand up for your rights.

#30 zeeba neighba

zeeba neighba

• Guests
  • 1 posts

Posted September 10 2013 - 03:57 PM

I don't know if you're receiving updates to this, but the problem might be the type of pot you're smoking. I used to love weed, but gradually gave it up because it got too powerful, made me sit in a chair and veg, and I'd get start feeling paranoid and obsessing about death.

Then last summer, a gal with a medical marijuana permit offered me some of her stuff. She said it was the sativa strain, rather than indica, which she said gave a much more mellow buzz. Bingo! I loved it! It was the same kind of light, happy buzz I remember from my youth, not the stupifying stuff my friends usually offer me these days. So I think there's a real difference in the type of weed you're smoking. But I swear, after practically giving it up, I'd fill my garden with sativa plants if they'd only make it legal. The difference is that profound.