appalachian trail

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ~piscean]-[delusions, May 21, 2004.

1. ~piscean]-[delusions

~piscean]-[delusions Member

I highly recommend spending some time on the appalachian trail if you ever get the chance. After spending just a couple of days on the trail I actually forgot about how ugly society made the world because it's just you, the wilderness and other foot travelers... You meet an interesting breed of people on the trail for sure, they've all got nicknames too. Anyway, it was some of the most enlightening traveling I have ever done and I will be going back again in the near future.

2. SoundStepper

SoundStepper Member

i have only canoed around the area, about like a 50 mile trip, and still it was incredible, awesome scenery and i would agree that there are many great people. I would recomend the area to anyone that truely wants to see the greatest mother at her best.

3. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

my goal is to hike the entire appalachian trial after i get outta college. i have hiked parts and absolutely LOVED it.. its gorgeous. the people are so friendly and great.... i was camping near the trail in woodstock, NH and put up a thru-hiker at my campsite. he told my friends and i some hilarious stories.

4. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

hiking the whole trail is one of my post-uni goals too..... northern georgia on up thru to maine :) I've already travelled a fair bit around there and it is just the most beautiful place i've ever seen in the northern hemisphere. can't wait!

5. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

The Appalachian Trail is AWESOME!!!! I did my first thru-hike in '98. I never felt like I fit in anywhere until I hiked the AT. The hiker community is very much a subculture. Its so wonderful We have lots of bet togethers. i just got back form the biggest one called Trail Days. It happens in Damascus VA usually on the 3rd weekend in May. Then there the ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association) The Gathering that alternately takes place in Concord College in WV and at Dartmouth College in Hanover NH. You should see how all the long haired and bearded hikers mix with all the Dartmouth kids. The Gathering will be at Concord College this year. Its usually Columbus day weeken.

BTW: Did you remember and trailnames (hiker nicknames) of the hikers ou met?

The following websites are very useful if you are planning a hike or want to check out he hiker subculture.

www.whiteblaze.net www.trailjournals.com www.aldha.org

Trail Days kinda resembles a Phish or Dead show. Thousands of tents lotsa partying and no violence and a friendly vibe.

check out this address to view some photos. theres a few of yours truly,BooBoo. most of the hikers in the pics are old friends of mine.

http://gallery.backcountry.net/billville-traildays04

enjoy!

6. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

The trail is my home. Have hiked most of the Pa portion and am planning a trip up to maine to do the hundred mile wilderness.
    Still have some time to kill before i can atempt the whole thing, but i'll get around to it eventually!

7. sonik

sonik Member

Havn't hiked the AT yet but have been hiking in the smokies a bit. Great countryside. Gotta go back some day soon...

:cool:

8. EddieV1984

EddieV1984 Member

i practically live on the AT. Its great country. I especially like camping on camp grounds that lie on the AT, and that way you can talk to all the thru hikers.

9. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Hey Dirtybongwater gotta love those PA rocks huh? Since you live in PA go hang out at the bar at the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon. You'll meet alot of cool hikers. I hiked the AT in '98 and am planning another hike in '05. A lot of my hiker friends live in PA. I''ll put you in contact with then If you like.

10. Edward G.

Edward G. Edwardson

Where is this trail? does it go all the way from Georgia to Maine? :confused:

11. ~piscean]-[delusions

~piscean]-[delusions Member

you are correct my friend, the trail runs from maine to georgia. you are in north carolina, so somewhere around the blue mountains you can pick it up.

12. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

ME? I love them, my ankles? thats another story :) All in all the Pa portion of the trail is not very difficult, you just have to take your time and watch your footing. One mis-step and your hike is over.
    Its ashame that a lot of people that live in Pa don't think of it as a scenic state. One of my favorite things to do is take people like that on day hikes to pulpit rock followed by the pinnicle. They can be breath taking on a clear day, especially the pinnicle

13. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

PA was cool. I liked the views and the people I met were pretty cool too. I did 18 miles a day through PA. Liked the views but I had to stop hiking to look at em. I liked PA but my feet and boots didn't. BTW: Earl Shaffer the first thruhiker was a PA native. He hiked the AT in '48,'67 and '98. My bro and I had the priviledge of hiking 1200 miles with Earl. Like most of the folks I met in PA he was a pretty cool guy. One of the things that hikers like about PA is that theres lots of cool bars there. Yeungling Beer is VERY popuplar with hikers.

14. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

I've always dreamed of hiking the AT. I've been on the trail in like 10 different states. But my health does not allow much in the way of hiking. I still love to be around the AT though. It's a real peaceful place. Maybe someday it will happen.

Kathi

15. dirtybongwater

dirtybongwater Member

As we speak my roomate is on the trail. Today is day number 7 of his planned 6 week trek. I am so envious of him but happy at the same time. I know he's having a great time......

16. DwarfJuggler

DwarfJuggler Member

I did section in PA, I remember lots of little rocks lining the trail... Is this what you guys are talking about? I didn't read the first 2 pages of this post... Anywho, I met one man early one morning while I was sleepin in a shelter who walked over to the burning embers in my fire pit, used his stick and touched one log, and BAM! a huge fire was made in seconds... He sorta created my image of a man of the woods.. understands the science of fire to the T.

17. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

18. DwarfJuggler

DwarfJuggler Member

Ah, AT, those are great pictures... makes me wanna cry! I miss my White Mountains so badly, and the people who would visit them. I might be returning next April though... Long time away.... but sooner than never!