Thoughts on Frats/Sororities?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by ProudAtheist32490, Nov 23, 2011.

1. ProudAtheist32490

ProudAtheist32490 Member

OK, Just got a question for anyone who has been or who is in college right now. I've actually just graduated from a 2 year college and got my A.A. Degree so now I'm probably about to be going back to school for a 4 year degree.....so my question is about these so called "Fraternities" they have on campuses that wear the "Greek Letters" on their shirts and shit. My question is: Should I join one of these? I mean, what exactly is the "Benefit" of getting into a fraternity? They seem like pretty cool people to hang around but I just don't know if it's worth the money to pay a Fraternity to help you get through college or not. Anyways, thoughts about this?

2. Aesthete

Aesthete Member

Well, you get access to parties and generally a richer social life by joining a frat. There's that whole "brotherhood" thing that I personally think is a bunch of crap, but apparently it means something to some people.

Downside is, as you mentioned, it's expensive. Many fraternities say they don't haze, but basically their whole initiation process consists of at least mild hazing and will take up a lot of your time and energy.

3. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

They are the epitome of materialism, superiority-complexes, and everything that is wrong with college-aged people.

Now, there are SOME frats that truly are about community service and giving back, but they are as rare as a person who can quit heroin cold-turkey and never relapse again in their life.

4. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

[​IMG]

I believe that about sums it up. If this seems like your dream come true, hop in.

5. Sininabin

Sininabin Member

no one talks about the "good frats" my brother was in a frat where hell week was a month that consisted of doing 60 hours of community service and test on the history of the frat. It was a dry frat i.e. no drinking. It had no frat house and was 95% asian. That frat has a great deal of connections all over america it had it own fundraisers throughout the year. My brother actually dropped out because it was too hardcore. too much mandatory volunteering.

personal I think to much structure in social circles is weird and unnatural. I think the majority of frats are the lowest of the low. People who create an artificial barrier between themselves and the surrounding population to put themselves above over people. I say artificial because the bond is based on hazing and drinking which is the stupidest way I can think of for organizing a group of people I would want to hang out with.

if you like frat the idea of a brotherhood, if you are shy and think this would be a good way to make friends, or you're going into a field where it be useful to have lots of built in contacts then I could recommend going into a good frat.

6. faeriecake

faeriecake Guest

It honestly truly depends on the school. The national fraternities, they totally suck. Local fraternities can be a ton of fun though. I was a little sister to the local frat on campus -- this fraternity consisted of the "social rejects." We had gay guys, lesbian little sisters, punks, video game addicts, and everyone far inbetween. The most fun I ever had was with that fraternity.

I'm not certain how common frats like that are, but hopefully you can find something that suits you at the school you attend. If you don't feel welcome or like you fit in, then you probably shouldn't join.