What if college is not for me, HOw to Get a LIVEABLE job?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by nobyTOBY, Sep 27, 2011.

1. nobyTOBY

nobyTOBY Guest

And by Liveable i mean enough salary to live.

Like for example, here in my town 10/hr is not enough to live. Rent etc is so expensive. So i would need something at least 14/hr or 15/hr

But most general jobs are always 10/hr or lower.

i have learning problems and i can't do the college thing. I mean i did it already and failed and at the time i tried my best. i wasn't slacking off.
    now i'm left with 20000 dollar loans and i can't even pay them cause now i'm unemployed.

You hear it al the time from people with fast paced minds and people who are talkative(i'm not. i'm quiet)... "Just go back to school".
    That doesn't work for everybody.

So what is there to do?
    And moreover, i'm also disabled(body) so i can't move very much or walk very much.

2. Sininabin

Sininabin Member

I don't know how disabled but food industry jobs can be physically demanding: you are but a good bartender or good waitress can live on their money. (first you work some lame chain, look for a better job in a restaurant, maybe get a low level sommuler certificate, work at a fancy dinner place, pocket about $300 a night. )

you'll need to do some schooling:

Phlebotomy is a good job where you just go to trade school

a sommuler: this requires some smarts, training, and dedication. But it's a good job that doesn't require college.

trade schools

maybe craftman, like work as a choclatier or a glassblower or carpenter start off as assistant in time you move up the ladder to an decent career.

hope this helps yeah minimum is @#$%# need at least $20 an hour for an okay life.

3. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Perhaps look up certain trades that pay well (where you would be an apprentice for awhile) but involve working on complex small things and don't involve moving your body a lot. I am assuming your disability has to do with your legs or back or something, but fill us in if it is your hands. Clock-making, heating and cooling repair, jewelry repair, etc. all put food on the table.

4. Stimulantz13

Stimulantz13 Member

I agree that some schooling will be necessary, although it does not have to be anything like University, but if you don't mind being buried in your work and you like food like most human beings, why not try a the culinary field? My Dad always says "Good chefs are fat because they taste test their food." I'm not saying go get huge, but cooking and tasting food all day sounds pretty sweet.

5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

It would help if we knew what you liked to do.
    You need to fill your metaphorical soul along with your belly.
    Also, how limited are you?
    Focus on strengths.

6. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Well that depends, as far as I know If I get a part time job that should work, but that requires being able to stay at my moms house or friends houses which is good for now...I doubt I could handle a full time job so if I had to depend on income to pay for housing I'd really be screwed.