i hate college.

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by erica lalala, Sep 21, 2011.

1. erica lalala

erica lalala Member

so far. i just started, but i'm really not liking it at all. i think it may just be the college i'm going to, and the fact that i'm commuting, but it sucks. would transfering help?

2. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

It helped for me when the place I went to was hell to get to. Makes a big difference.

3. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Take classes that are interesting and stimulating. I never understood new college students taking all boring hard classes their first two years. They were usually bored, miserable and end up partying and dropping out with nothing but bad memories and thousands in debt. Your paying big bucks for YOUR education. Pick classes that seem interesting to YOU and you'll like going to class and you'll find yourself researching and studying because you want to learn more rather then have to to pass the test. Start out taking fun interesting classes and labs and you'll probably end up having a good GPA and then when your near getting your degree take the hard boring mandatory classes. That's what I did and worked for me. I know a little about a lot of different disciplines and topics which makes life really interesting.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Its hard to remember this when you're a freshman in college and you have your whole life set before you, but keep in mind you'll probably end up hating your life more when you only have a high school diploma and can barely even get a job at Mcdonalds.

I would suggest moving on campus. My first year in college I commuted and it made me feel such a disconnect from all the other students because I never really got a chance to get to know anyone. Having a thriving social life always helps any situation.

5. erica lalala

erica lalala Member

i can't afford to move on campus. i go to a state school so they don't give alot of scholarships, and even tho tuition is relatively low, the cost of housing is pretty pricey

6. serena3

serena3 Member

It's only September. It might start to grow on you. I commute too, and pretty annoyed at school. especially since all the food is expensive and I didn't have a typical high school experience. definitely took some getting used to.
    I just keep in mind that I'm gaining knowledge and my overall satisfaction with life is a lot higher than it would be if I was working at mcdonalds and not going to school. or stuck with nothing to do but sell drugs and be paranoid.
    education is really a privilege, not an obligation.

7. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

What do you hate about it so far besides the commute? College is a bit tough to adjust to, but once you put your effort in and it's done your since of accomplishment will be priceless (or the sum of all those college loans). I'm sure you'll figure it out tho, good luck to you :)

8. aliced

aliced Dude Guy

I would love to be back in college... such a good time. It was a lot of hard work but working hard to achieve a goal makes the reward that much more satisfying. Maybe a change in mindset would help?

9. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

To get the most of College it seems that a commitment of purpose is required from the individual.
    If I had the opportunity to go to a college free of the constraints of morgage and bills then I would do so.
    The social, as well as the educational element of experience is one to embrace and get due and just reward from
    Persistance is not futile
    :)

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I would hate college if I lived at home. Couldn't take that.

Living near the campus would be fine, but an actual commute, and not being able to have any sort of college life, but having the classes? FUCK that.

11. serena3

serena3 Member

college life is not my thing. I'm the only one of my friends that goes to college. I don't relate to any of these people. I keep the college life at college and everything else at home. I actually couldn't get an apartment near campus anyway because of the criminal record. I just like learning, meeting deadlines, and building credentials. college parties and stuff like that just isn't my thing. I am in clubs though...

12. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYx7YG0RsFY&ob=av2n"]Asher Roth - I Love College - YouTube

13. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

dont quit...if i could live my life over i would have gone to college...what ever it is....suck it up....get some good grades and graduate

14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

"college life" doesn't mean getting wasted left and right, and herpies spreading like wildfire.

It does for some people, but only some.

College is just a live-in kind of learning. It's very differernt when you're living somewhere else and not so absorbed.

"college life" depends who you are, it can be hanging out in the library all day or drinking when you wake up, it's up to you.

Do you mean the apartments refused you because of your criminal past? because I used to have a room mate ON campus who was a felon and many many many time repeat offender with just about anything he could be. (was once arrested for public intoxication.... IN OUR ROOM.... ) So I don't think there's a legal thing stopping you from it, based on proximity to the campus.

15. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I live at home and go to community college right now. It's extremely boring. Im going o be transferring in a year or two to a university where ill live on campus. It's going to be a lot better :D

16. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

I hated every aspect of college, and dropped out twice. Perhaps in the future I'll be one of those people who regret not going and 'looking back I should have done this and that' kinds of people, but there are also just some people who aren't cut out for college. I guess I was just one of those people.

17. serena3

serena3 Member

not only that, but the apartments are way overpriced and your monthly income has to be three times the rent. They are like 700 dollars. the near-campus apartments are marketed towards people who's parents want to help them get an apartment and succeed, I think, because they have all these security measures and policy's and a lot of people have cosigners. a lot of people move in there for their first apartment. It's any theft crime or violent crime that disqualifies you. They did not refuse me because I didn't even bother to try.

I feel really detached from the other students and the school in general. like I'm just going through the motions so I can get to the next step. I love my classes, and I love to learn, but I'm just not that absorbed in my overall college experience. I have a lot going on in other areas of my life. but if sitting in the library all day and drinking coffee to go is part of my "college life" then I'm all for it. those are some of the simple pleasures in my school day.

18. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well increasingly, dorms suck and are highly fascistic. And I can see what you mean with close apartments, in a city, although here I don't think they even ask about criminal past. But if they're not too bad there, you might consider a dorm.

The prices here used to be nice, but now they're higher than the much nicer, more private (without RA's playing mommy) apartments accross the freaking street, which are CLOSER to my classes. So this is my last semester or two in dorms.

Anyway, it just lets you be a lot more relaxed about things, living right next to your classes and library and food and whatnot. But it's probably worse if you're also working for yourself.... I'm a spoiled douchebaggy mid-middle class kid, with my parents paying for college and bail and lawyers and whatnot.

19. learn2see

learn2see Member

This is my last semester of college and I would like to say that most people never get a job in the field they wanted and most people stay in debt for the rest of their lives for an education. I could of taught myself all of the things I learned for free/a loooot less.

20. Sininabin

Sininabin Member

if you don't say why you hate college then our suggestions are blind.

I went to a college where everyone was highly academically motivated and crazy. there was no greek system we partied hard and studied hard. I met people there that saved me. college connected me to a whole network of people who were awesome.

my classes were good but yeah just read the texts and the papers written on said texts and you can teach yourself a english degree. (plus practice writing essays to a qualified friend who can critique, and constantly find ways to verbalizes and identify themes in art) don't need to tell you how to study foreign language. actually without college it would be hella hard to be educated. I think going to college for at least two years to learn how to learn would be monster helpful before going on your own (of course you can just audit and sneak in to classes for those two years)