2010's = Modern 60's?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by HumanBeingIntellect, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

You're just giving me more rhetoric.

One of the first agendas of every government is to stifle the voice of dissent and control Freedom of Speech. Here is a good example as to how far any government will go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM24auCkQqk&feature=related"]Radio Caroline at Sea - The End - YouTube

The Internet is an over whelming success for controlling freedom of speech and killing the voice of dissent . Even wikileaks is quickly becoming part of the "system."

Face the facts.

We lost and it is now over.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

All my answers are also rethoric, yes. Did you expect me to give something else? What's wrong with rethoric, I'm just sharing my thoughts on the matter. You keep repeating that we lost and it's over now. Does that serves more purpose?

I think the people will rise up once this controlling reaches a climax. The voice of dissent is not so much killed in my experience, it's more that it hasn't reach that point of unbearable frustration yet (at least for most). That's not because we're getting more apathic, things have always been like that. There are a lot of critical people on the internet as well as 'in real life' who are able to express themselves. To say it is all lost does not mean any struggle is definately lost, it says you don't see how to end it.

About Wikileaks, nothing is perfect and certainly not wikileaks. But it was not our last option to 'win' or something. It was a great initiative though. Nice try to say at the least :D

3. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

You are entitled to your opinions and you are entitled to express them. But rhetoric is wrong when it just does not go anywhere. It is especially wrong when it just perpetuates falsehoods.

So I applaud your positive thinkings. But the facts are the facts and we must all face them. Unless there is a extremely massive shift in the collective values of "Generation Incorporated" ...

Freedom is on its death bed.

And instead of trying to save it, it's being blogged about.

Probably no more than your rhetoric.

But for me acknowledging that it's over keeps me grounded and helps me stay focused on survival for myself. I'm staying in the city long enough to make the money I need to leave and retreat far from the inevitable coming of "Big Brother".

4. HumanBeingIntellect

HumanBeingIntellect Member

The hippie movement is over, yes, but I hope a new generation of countercultureists will try to change things influenced by the hippies just as the hippies were influenced by the beats.

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I guess you lost and it's over.

You don't sound like much of a hippie to me. I think in the 60's, you would have been a toadie of the man.

Your rhetoric serves no purpose whatsoever, save depressing people and removing the spirit that's absolutely vital to ANY change.

The fact is that the internet is how things work now. The pen is mightier than the sword, people just don't use paper anymore. Stop living in the past-you've lost because you can't adapt, the rest of us are busy doing that, and blogging about the things we might have handed out leaflets for if we'd been born a half century ago. The fact is that nobody sees telephone poles anymore, but that even a forum post can be seen by millions of people, between cached search results and the like, even without it showing in "views". Your whiny pessimism is doing considerably more damage than are the people you're pessimistically whining about.

I think it's great that people who might have been ditch diggers and never learned to read a century ago can be sneaking glances at the news, without even knowing it, while they're at work, nowadays.

You better be worrying about changing "big brother", because you can't run and you can't hide. Those of us with half a brain are trying to do good, while you're trying to save his money to buy his land to hide from him. It won't work, sorry. You're a very selfish person, and no hippie, by a long shot, in my opinion.

There has been totalitarianism as long as there have been people. There have been very brutal invasive regimes for tens of thousands of years. You don't live in one of them. The world is saturated with people and you can generally be seen wherever you go and detected whenever you say something (like you are when you type on this forum) but as of now, the tech is neutral and can still be used for great good, the world is nowhere near united in crushing it's populace, even if the US is leading the world in being like the soviet union, since we won and there's no soviet union to be evil and opposed to.

Stop being selfish and worthless (and feeling the need to tell us about it) and go fix it, if you don't like it.

6. Cloaking Device

Cloaking Device Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8moePxHpvok"]Adam Curtis - Oh Dearism - YouTube

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

diversity being the nature of reality is never over. it does nothing to prevent the rise of tyrannies, and sometimes it takes too damd long for them to stumble over it and fall, but sooner or later, every last one of them does.

we create a market for tyranny when we romanticize aggressiveness and perpetuate prejudices. even ideological ones. it isn't apathy to be nonconfrontational, when nonconfrontationally avoiding giving support to a culture that by its very values is tyrannical.

there's nothing wrong with blogging and forum-ing (on NON_CORPORATE indipendent sites). to do so, and then go out and buy gas to drive a car when there's perfectly good, and less poluting per rider, public transportation, and clothes at corporate retailers, on the other paw, is hypocracy. not thinking about the kinds of incentives our actual priorities create, THAT is hypocracy and selling out. shopping at wall mart is selling out. supporting corporate crime when we don't have to is selling out.

singing your own songs is not selling out. making your own art is not selling out. growing your own food is not selling out.

not making war is not selling out. war, conflict, confrontation are impertinant. what is effective is the witholding of support, where support really isn't needed.

you don't have to turn off the internet, but for god sake turn of the damd television and tell your own vision.

8. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

10. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

At least in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s the cops did not have tasers or the right to lie, beat the shit out of people, etc. People were sociable and you could say "hello" to a stranger without a funny look. I was not obligated to use my vibrator and a webcam to have sex with some man living on another continent.

And you did not have to pay people to protest at a rally.

11. Asmodean

Are you sure? I think half of the things you named were happening a lot. Like corrupt cops and asocial behaviour. People were even more racist in the 50's and 60's. And the majority in the 60's did not want to protest for hippie ideals either. Now most of those hippie ideals seem to be the norm and hippies are gone, so there are less people who feel the need to protest. People have not changed. Life was not more idyllic back then. If you're in the right place people still say hello to everyone they meet and even in the cases they don't it's not a sure sign of social downfall. Obligated? You're sounding ridicilous. You DO sound like you're romanticizing the past.

12. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

Since hurricane Katrina there has been a large influx of Black Americans from New Orleans into my area. If you think the 50s and 60s were more racist, then you should have a conversation with them.

My mother made it very clear to me. It is much worst today than it was yesterday.

I have my own horror history of an example of what is happening.

13. Asmodean

Racism was much more accepted and common in the western world back then, I'm not saying it isn't around in the same severity now. It's a fact.

14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

15. Asmodean

Well, she's fully entitled to go where ever she wants of course. Sometimes running away is not such a bad idea at all. I'm sure it's not solely because of the threat of big brother either. A change of environment and even culture is sometimes the greatest thing you can do for yourself (perhaps she even comes back when she sees it in all it's relativity, I'm sure Peru government isn't perfect either) :)

16. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

I begged my parents for a computer because after the government forced closure of our "living situation" and put myself and several other children in "homes." When after 2 years of no contact with my parents and a following 1 year of supervised parental visits. I was returned to my parents.

My parents committed no crimes and they were not part of a cult. None of the people involved were either and there was no sexual abuse. The court acknowledge this finally 2 years ago with an apology but the government acknowledges nothing.

My father was reduced from being a published anthropologist to cleaning the floors for a maid service. But my mother who specialized in early childhood education went to work at gas station.

Because of all that passed with legal fees, false imprisonment, wrongful abduction of children by the state, etc. there was no money for such things as "computers. "

It has nothing to do with my age or living in the past. But before you say it is emotional baggage, I'll counter that with experience.

Love may indeed win the war but it's the war machine of the state that triumphs in every battle.

17. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

That last sentence made no sense.

I can see how you're jaded, and we know, there's some fucked up laws. Especially family law. (I've recently been ordered to pay child support, so that the state may take a "fee" for the "service" of collecting and re-sending it, despite myself and the mother in question protesting, and explaining that we're fucking adults and can work things out alone, without the state fucking around in our affairs) But that doesn't mean the world's fucked, until you let it be fucked. If you don't like family law, get in politics and change it.

One of the worst things about how the world's changing is that the people who don't like it frequently refuse to do anything-ie, decide politics is evil and they won't have a part in it, because there's an evil politician. That's like saying life is evil and all good people will kill themselves immediately after reading this, because there are evil people.

It's a lot easier to whine about how the war's lost than to take up arms.

18. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

So very much to read

19. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical