2010's = Modern 60's?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by HumanBeingIntellect, Sep 15, 2011.

1. HumanBeingIntellect

HumanBeingIntellect Member

It seems that (or at least I am hoping) this decade might become a modern version of the sixties. I believe Paul Mccartney said something about the sixties thing being cut short; and that someday, we'll finish the job the hippies started in the sixties that got cut short. Well, maybe it's the 2010's. Think about it, lots of the ideals that the hippies in the sixties had are becoming mainstream today. War in the middle east = Vietnam, African american rights = gay rights etc. The music is also coming back. I believe neo-psychedelia is becoming popular nowadays, with bands like MGMT etc making considerable commercial success. WHat do you think the 2010's have in store for us? More of the same, or something new? do you agree with me? or do you disagree?

2. Cloaking Device

Cloaking Device Member

The thing with the 60s was that a lot of people had more money than they ever had before. In the west a lot of people have less money than they had before

It's looking more like the new 1930s than the 1960s :(

3. Rugor

Rugor Senior Member

well ummm. 1960 is 1960 and 2010 is 2010. complete different technologies, cultures ,population, media, family structure. 1960 is history and as much as you wanna act it out or whatever it will never be the same.

the human brain is forever changed. people who lived in 1960 do not think like people who live in 2010. television and stuff has changed the way our brains work. new cars, new malls, new shopping centers, everything is modern now it changes the perception of reality.

4. HumanBeingIntellect

HumanBeingIntellect Member

obviously. I was just comparing the two decades, as they seem to have similar ideas and music.

5. Cloaking Device

Cloaking Device Member

ideas and music are totally different

6. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

The mass media and corporations make money off of the trend you are speaking of. Go on your own philosophical journey and fuck what the other people are mindlessly doing.

7. Cloaking Device

Cloaking Device Member

they'll make money from that too if you buy or sell anything

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There may be some similarities, but the 60s were the result of the civil rights movement, the womens movement,the war and the pictures of the dead and dying "enemy"that was supposed to signal the "light at the end of the tunnel" on TV every night, the leaders getting killed,Ken Kesey swiping psychedelics from Stanford and spreading them to his friends and strangers alike and eventually everywhere, throwing off the societal constraints of the past, CITIZENS FINALLY GETTING TIRED OF THE BS, reminders of what police do and what they stand for, at the Democratic convention of '68,the desire for a back to the land movement,the Native American uprising,The Panthers,Weather Underground,etc. There were plenty of jobs for just about anyone that wanted one. No---it isn't the same and I don't see it getting close. The haves ,have much more that the have-nots now and with the way the government has tightened up-I don't see millions getting out to try and change our society. The power has consolidated and as usual,money rules ---especially disconcerting, considering the 2 party system in this day and age (other parties locked out)and the well thought out plan by conservatives (and evidently liberals too)to keep money as the determining factor as to who gets elected. And then there's the all-out assault on anything that remains of the New Deal=safety nets,social security. There is a reason there has been no draft. Instead the Guard was called up to a mess for which they never signed up. Don't want to get the populace stirred up as happened in the 60s-70s. What do young people care about today? It's getting worse,you know.

9. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

I've noticed what you're talkin' about but to me the phrase you used
    is what makes me say it isn't goin' to be another 60's, simply because mainstream hasn't been truly artistic or even truly human in hundreds of years man. Anything that has become fashionable has also become a corrupt and volatile form of it's former self. As much as I would love to see a 60's like movement again I don't think it'll be happening anytime soon. Proof of this is the anger and hostility so many modern young adults have toward others. This anger is a biproduct of the modern family life or lack there of. There's just too much hate in today's culture to see people going for peace again. But you never know maybe I'm wrong, I'd like to be proven wrong.

Peace n' love

10. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

This.

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Well said, and sadly, I agree. Everything we said about the military-industrial complex in those days has turned out to be true and getting worse (except for the draft).

In the sixties, if you were pissed off about the war or injustice, you made posters, went out in the streets, faced up to tear gas and police clubs.

Today when a young person gets pissed, they tweet. Not quite the same thing.

12. ZiggyZuZu

ZiggyZuZu Member

Maybe it's a cyber 60's, fuck there's hundreds of thousands of us 'hippies' on here..

13. Jelly Belly

Jelly Belly Member

nothing is the same lol not even close lol. IDK how u get that but its all good.

id rather live in the 60s then now but hey. things might change you never know whats around the corner. thats a good AND bad thing.

14. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

i bought a pair of bell bottoms today :sunny:

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Alrighty then--the 60s have returned!!

'sposed to be a smiley---right here.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i had kind of hoped for that in the 90s, with clinton, fallowing the 80s the way the 60s fallowed the 50s. well the 60s didn't start of with the beatles, that wasn't until almost the middle of them. they started off with the kingston trio though. even the smothers brothers weren't at the very beginning.

i had hopes of obama being another kennedy too. i think we are seeing the begining of a decade in which many things will likely change though. so far it looks a lot like the 1930s fallowing the 1920's.

life will go on. but i do think ideological neutrality instead of the current and passed 60 or so year dominance of ideological bigotry and prejudice would be a very good idea. or at least a less bad one.

science and the arts, diversity and originality were the thing in the u.s. in the 60s and 70s. that and the beginning of recognizing that it isn't nice to gain our advantages from the suffering of others.

raygun and the 80s clamped a lid on that flowering, replaced it with the entrenchment of organized corporate crime. everything either evolves though, or what doesn't evolve gets replaced, one way or another.

oil, coal, nuclear, capitalism, the automobile, like the crypto-marxism of the old soviet union, will sooner or later join it as forgotten memmories. probably not soon enough, nor painlessly. but all things do, eventually, either evolve or get replaced, on way or another.

global climate chance is a reality that will continue to change every other reality for decades to come.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The 60s werent even the 60s. Just a whole lot of baby boomers verbalizing what they wish they had done, rather than what they actually did do

18. Cloaking Device

Cloaking Device Member

i think you have to remember with the 60s there was a lot of things happening, but most people's lives were pretty boring, probably more than now

if you watched everything that happened on the news in the last decade you would think it was just one long crazy war, but most people just went to work and sat about like forever

19. Hippy-Chick

Hippy-Chick Member

The 60s are over. Today no one really cares enough to even try.

20. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Want peace and love?