Barefoot on Airplanes

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by cattard, Sep 9, 2011.

1. cattard

cattard Member

Short snippet from CNN.com, much larger story is about general attire

Don't fly barefoot

US Airways' contract of carriage states that it can remove passengers from a flight if they are "inappropriately clothed."

One thing is for sure: Don't bother showing up for your flight without shoes, unless you're a very young child.

Most airlines, including American, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, United and US Airways, may refuse to transport you if you are barefoot.

Poole said she once saw a woman who tried to board a flight barefoot and was kicked off. The passenger was rebooked on a later flight, "that is if she could find her shoes," Poole said.

2. Vuur

Vuur Member

even so... some airlines make you take of your shoes at security... at least in Europe, don't know about US
    What could possibly be the problem if someone wants to travel barefoot? Assuming their feet are clean (!)...

3. desperad0

desperad0 Member

One time I was standing in line for the X-ray scanner, where everyone is required to take off their shoes. The security guard told me that I had to put my shoes back on until I got closer to the machine. :mad:

If flying barefoot was ALLOWED, it would be REQUIRED. They don't like the idea of people being different. It's simpler for the airlines and the TSA if everybody is alike. :mad:

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

You could be hiding bombs in your feet!

5. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

people is way too tolerant, complying and docile. they are going to do whatever they're ordered to and that's why things are so grim today. Pay. Put your shoes off. Wear a suit. stand. please pass through this x ray scanner. please shovel this fire extinguisher up your ass. Sit. put your shoes on. fasten your belt. Take your pills. sing the anthem. vote. go to war. die.

where have all the yippies gone ?
    [​IMG]

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I often walk from security to the gate barefoot. I have my sandals hanging on my bag, so the presence of them may matter.
    Texturally, jetway floors make me cringe, so I slip the sandals back on to board. Back off at my seat.

I've never had issues with airline employees, and only a couple long looks from TSA.
    I assumed they were foot fetishists. :)

My Hebrew language T-shirt and reading material, or traveling companions, draw more problems.

7. broony

broony Banned

Paint a shoe on your foot tell you get caught then make fun of the cop on spot for not catching it sooner.

8. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

always used to think it took arabic to draw the heat, lol. this means guard dogs cannot tell hebrew from arabic ? would make lots of sense... about your fellow travellers, maybe they look like these ones ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH_LllQnVs4&feature=related"]Jackass Terrorist Prank - YouTube

9. I did a trip to and from Spain using BF sandals and had no problem. Security either didn't notice (likely) or didn't care (less likely). I will certainly try barefooting airports/planes again. EmPHAsis on "try."

10. barefootoctober

barefootoctober Member

It seems that only airlines based in the US have rules against bare feet. I've checked with European airlines and they have no such rule. It also seems that US Airways is the airline that most consistently refuses service to barefoot passengers. I've had no problem so far flying barefoot on Delta (and before that Northwest Airlines).

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Do you laugh as much as I do when planes crash??..

12. ganesha1967

ganesha1967 barefoot bellybearer

Only when Ted Stryker flies them...

[​IMG]

Wiggling bare toes, staying on the ground (never flown, never had to so far... well, not on a plane that is :D - us barefoot hippies don't need no planes to fly!),

~*Ganesha*~

13. barefootoctober

barefootoctober Member

You don't necessarily need to comment if the thread doesn't concern you.

14. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

During some past holiday trips, I've used Ryan Air (discount carrier based in Ireland), Air Berlin (a Lufthansa daughter based in Germany) and TuiFly (mainly a package tours carrier) on bare paws without any hassle. Maybe the discount airlines are just more keen on checking the restrictive maximum size of the cabin baggage than their passengers' outfit ..

Isn't there an airline operating the Maledive Islands destinations that is known for their barefoot pilotes?

15. uglypuppy

uglypuppy Member

Never tried flying barefoot, authority figures (police, TSA, etc.) scare the shit out of me, it's easier just to go along when I feel I have to.

Security rules are getting fucking ridiculous, though. No barefeet. They stopped Billie Joe Armstrong for wearing his pants too low. They stop people for having visible tattoos. Fuck this.

16. It's a PUBLIC forum. Anyway, police are supposed to look for anything "different." But it has ALL gotten way out of hand, like most things human, including reactions to (OMG!) BARE FEET!

17. PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 Member

You can thank Al Qaeida and the Taliban for that.

I remember going all the way to the gate to see off relatives and then watch the plane take off down the runway. Even back in August 2000 I was flying in and my parents were right there when I came off the jetway. But those days are long gone.

18. bfrank

bfrank Member

The key word here is may. This wording is included in the Contracts of Carriage of most, if not all, US based airlines. But it does not say will or must. Therefore, how those attempting to fly barefoot are treated is at the discretion of gate personnel. If you happen to run into a foot-phobic, you might get refused; if not, usually nothing will be said. I know this from lots and lots of experience flying barefoot over many years. There is roughly a 10% chance someone will refuse to let you board barefoot - which means, of course, there's a 90% chance you can fly barefoot, including boarding, without a hassle. That's based on only my personal experience, but I've flown on enough flights and with practically every domestic airline - and a few non-US - and through enough airports, that I believe those odds are fairly accurate for most anyone.

I don't know who this "Poole" person is, but that ONE little anecdote does not justify someone's admonition of "Don't fly barefoot." Sure, it can happen. Apparently the barefoot passenger did not have enough forethought to have a pair of backup footwear stashed away somewhere that she could easily have pulled out and put on if refused boarding.

The point here is that there's a very good chance that you can fly barefoot on almost any airline, but just in case you run into that one employee who doesn't like feet, you need to ALWAYS have something - like flip-flops - to quickly pull out and put on to avoid the hassle. You don't want to be messing around or arguing with airline people if they tell you to do something.

And BTW, it's the airline employees who may (note, I'm saying "may") give you a hassle. Airport security or TSA agents couldn't care less what you are wearing or not wearing on your feet. Their concern is security, not bare feet.

19. irishbohemian

irishbohemian Member

The point here is that there's a very good chance that you can fly barefoot on almost any airline, but just in case you run into that one employee who doesn't like feet, you need to ALWAYS have something - like flip-flops - to quickly pull out and put on to avoid the hassle. You don't want to be messing around or arguing with airline people if they tell you to do something.

And BTW, it's the airline employees who may (note, I'm saying "may") give you a hassle. Airport security or TSA agents couldn't care less what you are wearing or not wearing on your feet. Their concern is security, not bare feet.[/QUOTE]

Well said, after all Richard Reid the shoe bomber would have found it harder to (thankfully not quite) pull off his stunt barefoot.

FYI I've flown all over the world barefoot and never been picked up for it, sometimes I didn't even bother carrying emergency flip-flops, maybe I've just led a charmed existence! Handy tip though, if you're apprehensive about it wear a maxi dress or Thai fishermans pants that conceal most of the foot, they've worked for me

20. desperad0

desperad0 Member

Put them away AFTER you get on the plane. You will never have a problem.