End of the World Scenarios?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by skip, Aug 23, 2011.

1. HumanBeingIntellect

HumanBeingIntellect Member

It may be wishful thinking, but I truly believe that someday, humanity will transcend the terrible things that have held us back as a race for millennial; greed, hate, lust for power, ignorance, war etc. whether or not it will be too late i'm not sure. But I would like to believe that someday we will ban together and start colonizing other planets and make a new society after this earth has perished.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the 'human' species of planet earth has the capacity to destroy itself. it appears headed in the direction of doing so. it may come very close to doing so, and then rebound, having learned its hard lesson, without again over doing it.

i'd love to live in that time which is to come, after humanity has come within a hair of destroying itself. a world full of ruins to explore, rapidly being reclaimed by a wild and diverse nature we've so long repressed.

some two or three life times from now, that's how long its likely to take, i'd love to come back here, be born here in that future, some two or three centuries hence. to grow, live and die, in this world as it will be then.

to call the human species the litmus of existence though, is pure collective ego, and one i refuse to subscribe to.

3. skip

skip Founder Administrator

My guess is most "intelligent" species on other planets end up destroying themselves at around the point we are now. Once a species taps into nearly unlimited power, they will likely use it against themselves or other species and eventually go against their own survival.

So I'm saying power corrupts, and nearly absolute power corrupts absolutely, no matter the planet or galaxy.

So any small creature with a small brain is gonna do himself and his species "in", sooner or later.

But you see it all depends upon how we define "intelligence". Technology does not necessarily indicate the intelligence to use the technology wisely. And it's quite likely any "wise" species would be smart enough to not use the same dangerous/deadly technologies the human race uses.

Just because WE CAN, doesn't mean WE SHOULD!

4. War John

War John Member

The world gone to its own hell will destoy the world.

5. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

the correct answer is 'i'm not sure'

i'll expect my meal coupon in the mail.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my "money" is on, that we are very likely to come very close to precipitating our own extinction as a species, and perhaps a large portion of the diversity of other animal species with us, not by war, though wars may well continue to happen, or they might actually not, but by what we have already done with so many of us using so much combustion as we have, having triggered this subtle global warming thing.

very close to the extinction of our species. very close. but in much reduced numbers, a small fraction of as many of us as live now, somehow surviving. with numbers remaining low enough for long enough, for the climate conditions that caused the population implosion to stabilize and nature to have a chance to heal itself.

all in all, a perfectly natural scenario for when the population of any one species gets out of balance with its environment. our medical science is wonderful, but can only delay the inevitable as the mutation rate of disease vectors accelerate.

the mad max phase, if there actually is one, will be relatively short lived. (two or three decades at most) those expecting to survive by brutality will be disappointed. others will survive by escaping their notice.

the grand children of the survivors will live in a world i can only envy.

7. John_Doe

John_Doe Guest

Guns – Good or bad?

Here in the UK the government don't allow ordinary citizens to own guns because of the real and present danger of civil war and bloody revolution. [ The UK has the highest population density in Europe, we all hate each other and the government even more.]

But over in the US guns are widely available and appear to have been successfully used as a means of population control, especially among ethnic minorities. [ During the first part of the 20th century the number of guns in private ownership was considerably less that the population. During the latter part of the 20th century the number of guns in private ownership far exceeded the population.]

However it is interesting to speculate which model of gun distribution would be the most desirable in the event of an 'end of the world' scenario or total breakdown of law and order.

Where would you rather be?

8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I reckon it will be; after years of gradual erosion of natures resources, the Planets revenge!!! Ooh err!

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that christer end of the world thing is about something that happens every thousand years, give or take a few hundred. the most recent time it did was more then 150 years ago, so we've got another 800 plus years to wait for the next one.

10. dazedgatsby

dazedgatsby shitheel

Hitler comes back from the dead and teams up with Darth Vader....

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its with the environment that we're destroying ourselves for sure. i just have this feeling though, that it isn't going to be total, that there'll be enough of a gene pool left to start all over, while remaining few enough, long enough, for nature to be able to recover.

it will be too soon for the oil to have replaced itself and i doubt there'll be all that much interest in mining coal either. and with any luck, they'll remember enough to build battery powered solar recharged little people sized trains.

that's the possible future i'd rather be living in then now. the other side of after the great collapse of global warming caused famines and epidemics.