info on jamaica: the real side

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by pattymary, Aug 20, 2011.

1. pattymary

pattymary Member

the real side of jamaica does not seem to be where the tourists are!the all inclusive resorts are artificial places and sometimes the tourists do not come out so much out of them..i really think there is a need for a realistic tourism that carries people to kingston and to the rural jamaica to see the real people ! i can give some info about the island for who wants to come and have a stay close to reality!my email is: rootsmystory@yahoo.com and i am sorry for the people that grab only a limited vision in their air-conditionned minibuses there is much more to see and to learn when you are closer to the people and you venture everywhere!this is an island that is not dangerous as a lot of people say and there is a long time the overcriminality is done.. the main criminality in jamaica is domestic violence and gang related .. the gang related criminality is not concerning the tourist it is happening in bad men houses not even in public streets!i have been walking years in kingston downtown parts and i can tell you nothing dangerous is going on there just big shopping and selling this is the busiest and cheapest commercial area of kingston and the colours and the street life are just amazing! i can give any info on jamaica and how to discover it in an open and smart way!

2. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

What about St. Ann bay, hows it down there?

3. pattymary

pattymary Member

st ann s bay is the capital of the parish of st ann and is not a city made for tourists it has a lot of houses built 50 years ago without no new constructions that place has a shopping street with some little shops and little supermarkets sometimes they still have a grilled counter!there are a lot of breadfruits trees in all the backyards and the little city is on a hill so all the steets go down to the see.. there is also a little market and a burger king and absolutely all that the population coming down from the villages above may need! the main street is very crowded and the taxi drivers very unruly. you can visit the house where marcus garvey is born and besides the city the first spot where christopher columbus landed when he came to jamaica. in a place named windsor lawn there is a rasta association and a venue where they keep shows sometimes.. on the other side of windsor lawn you can visit a place where the water is taking fire this is a special spring the water catches fire for true when you light it up!it is very strange to see.. and st ann s bay has also a little place donated by burning spear to turn it into a youth club .. the same burning spear is born in st ann s bay but nowadays only one of his sons still lives here he is trying some musical career too..how do you know st ann s bay?

4. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

my mother was born there, I only been there once, but wasn't able to explore the country side.

5. pattymary

pattymary Member

did you like it?maybe ocho rios is more interesting because it is bigger and more fun and prettier .. st ann s bay is the administrative town and ocho rios the tourist town..and they are just 5 minutes apart when you drive..

6. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

yeah i like it, i been to the shopping area and to the hair salon to get my hair done. The beach is beautiful.

7. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i liked reading just this little bit about jamaica. i'd like to visit someday

8. mindflipinc221

mindflipinc221 Member

will they trouble a whitey with some locks?

9. pattymary

pattymary Member

there is something called harassment in jamaica and if you have a clear skin you will be called especially if you look like a foreigner.. if you have dreadlocks they will take advantage of it and call you more. the response to that is not to move a muscle and pass your way as if you do not hear nothing. the last few years begging has become a lifestyle for certain people and between jamaicans this also happening not only with tourists.. but if you go to normal places like downtown kingston you can walk without nobody troubling you! this harassment is going on in the touristic places.. believe me or not this in kingston the city everybody is fearing where a tourist is the less disturbed! kingston is not a dangerous place and a very interesting city full of trees colours and street life.. at night certain places have problems but in daylight you can go anywhere and especially downtown where the whole jamaica is going to shop cause this is the area with the wholesale stores and the cheapest shopping place in the island.. there is a large market absolutely amazing especially on fridays and saturdays when the peasants of all the island are flocking there to sell their crops!and there no matter how you look nobody is harassing you neither!

10. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

there's white and Chinese people living in Jamaica already. Thats what I saw when I was down there.

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

Jamasians make some sexy kids.

12. pattymary

pattymary Member

the chinese have shops and supermarkets through the whole island.. but there are also a lot of indians that came after abolition of slavery to work in the fields. there are also syrian people that have supermarkets chains also.. the white people are less and less at least the ones from british origin they have left the place so there iis not a lot of mixing between white and others contrary to cuba for example .. sometimes you have people half black half chinese or half indian half black..white foreigners and tourists are there too so maybe they are the one with a clear skin to be seen in the streets..like everywhere else the children can be diverse you find all sorts of children! the problem is that the woman population is getting overweight very easily when they reach their twenties..there is about 70 per cent of the women that are a little bit overweight.. maybe because the fast food restaurants is a popular outing for many people!

13. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

Thats some true shit, my next door neighbor is Chinese and jamaican. Great mix.

Yeah i heard more woman are bleaching their skin down there also.

14. pattymary

pattymary Member

not only women but also some controversial entertainers like vibes kartel who is a dancehall artist.this is very much a pity why do they do that? nowadays this kind of things do not make sense again! it belongs to the past to think that they are prettier like that! the whole world is mixing and we prefer nowadays the pretty colours of many half-bred people!but these idiots keep on thinking that clearer is beautiful they could not see what brainwashing this is!rasta people love the natural african beauties and the little number of rasta women are totally natural! but there are much more rastamen than rastawomen..you seem really to know a lot of things dreamsdo come true!this evening on jamaican tv they were showing the jamaicans of new york and what they did during the storm irene!maybe you and your mam are among them!i

15. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

I just heard that they burn down his house down there(vybez). And i agree I don't know why they start bleaching their skin, but bleaching is becoming more popular with Caribbean ladies. Especially from Jamaica.

Yeah the hurricane hit us down here, but just like my Aunt says its nothing compare to the hurricanes that hit the Caribbean.:)

16. dreamsDOcomeTRUE

dreamsDOcomeTRUE KYTLIVE

Carnival in Brooklyn, New York is coming on Monday, so I definitely will be waving that Jamaican flag