Should HipForums Provide A Connection to Facebook?

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I used to look up bands all the time on facebook, to follow. It's handy for getting priority on tickets and all sorts. Anyway facebook's search engine is absolute codswallop when it comes to looking for the page of new bands and stuff! I always ended up using google instead and finding it fairly quickly that way. It's the same with YouTube, google is better at finding the video you are looking for.

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Fyi Goggle + will soon require you to use your legal name..

3. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

if my identity became common knowledge to people on this forum, other than those i allow to know it, i will not stay at hipforums. simple as that.

my personal life and anything involved with it is exactly that - personal. so my answer is no.

4. The Imaginary Being

it would probably turn this website on its head. nobody is going to be as honest as they once were, because what they say can be judged by the people that know them.

think about the kinky sections, true confessions, sexuality discussions - these places get the better traffic.

5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

You sure they won't be MORE honest? After all, can those 12" dicks stand up to reality?

BTW, I'm LMAO at the poll results!

6. The Imaginary Being

i tell every girl i meet i have a huge dick.

7. skip

Are they supposed to imagine the missing inches?

8. skip

Well that'll kill any fun there!

9. The Imaginary Being

have you seen my penis? :frown:

10. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

This place has been a haven for me for nearly a decade. A retreat from my real life, a little secret. The two have merged slightly now, but I'd never, ever want my friends and family to see my posts. I'd be mortified. I worry about it happening, even.

If you want more traffic, this isn't the way. People will use Facebook in droves no matter what. The forum must be attractive in its own right and be nothing to do with Facebook. For me, comparing the two doesn't make sense, because they serve entirely different functions. Facebook is for talking to my real life friends and family about day to day stuff. Hipforums is for discussion with strangers about interesting topics which I'd never discuss with family. I don't favour one or the other, they're not related.

11. Fingermouse

Fingermouse Helicase

Count me in on this, too. I would leave if friends or family got to see my posts.

1 person likes this.
  12. serena3

serena3 Member

most def

13. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I don't really care much either way, but there are a lot of things on here I wouldn't want people in my life to know. This is my vacation from life.

I think we could all band together and think of a way to drive more people here without getting in TOO personal with people close to us.

14. I made a conscious decision to leave Facebook and if it was linked to here I will leave here. I want nothing to do with Facebook. Sorry!

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Dear god skip this thread kinda shocked me. I've seen you mention the CIA Facebook connection waaayyy too many times...I think I would be disappointed if you linked facebook up to this site.

I think of this site as my safe haven to say things I wouldn't normally say in real life. I don't see how facebook could possibly be stealing traffic from HF because they both serve two completely different purposes.

16. Charmed262

Charmed262 Member

I personally don't think its a good idea to link up hip forums with facebook. I post things here that I don't want my family to know.

17. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

Agreed. I do not want to be in any more databases that I have no consent to. This is my little anonymity raft to keep my head afloat in the sea of collaged together conformity in the sake of "security". I fucking hate Facebook and it's demeaning values to our social sphere.

18. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Skip, I don't care about who owns whom for this discussion.
    Even if you owned G+, FB and Twitter, I'd be gone if you linked FB directly.
    I have accounts on all.
    They have their use, and so does Hip.
    But mostly, they are different parts of my public persona.

Your goal is increasing membership here, which translates to revenue. That makes sense. You pay for the servers, etc etc. I want to see you successful. I have benefited from HF since 1999. (eek)

You want to have people who are not troublesome (spammers, trolls) while connecting to people who might be good members of HF.

Social media works when done right.
    It can also be a complete waste of effort.

I think the blogosphere would be more fertile ground. Yes, we have journals here, but to be able to take a post to a blog (Blogger, WP) can also gain those eyes. I'd personally not be adverse to twitter linking so long as it was not everywhere.

The other side is privacy and also retention: every door is both entrance and exit.

I'm not sure how much an issue the latter will be, since mostly it would be members posting to other blogs with a track back here. Members are likely to use HF even if they use other sites.

Please don't connect HF to FB. Those of us who want to start discussions can quote and post ourselves.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

If your website's full of assholes, it's your fault :eek:

http://dashes.com/anil/2011/07/if-your-websites-full-of-assholes-its-your-fault.html
    interesting article ..

20. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.