Should HipForums Provide A Connection to Facebook?

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by skip, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I've been looking over an app that will let our users login here, automatically, with their facebook accounts. They will also be able to post up short posts (or part of longer ones) from here to their facebook wall.

What I'm wondering is whether you people want this feature here. Some of you might not want to post what you say here on facebook. Likewise you may not want your Facebook identity known here.

Those are just some of the reasons why we haven't had any links to Facebook on Hipforums. There are many more.

But if there is enough demand we can do this. I checked it out, and it's an opt-in thing, so it wouldn't affect anyone else without a facebook account or even those with a facebook account who don't want to connect facebook to their hipforums postings.

Of course it WILL mean seeing Facebook links everywhere on the site. That's just another big reason we are reluctant to do it.

The plus for the site, is that we will "lose" fewer people to facebook, and might even gain some "friends" from facebook users. At least that is what we would hope.

On the downside, Facebook gets some of our content (parts of your posts) which might hurt us when people search for content originating on the Hip Forums and get taken to Facebook instead.

There are a few other issues involved, but these are some important ones.

Oh and the fact that Facebook = C.I.A., if that bothers anyone... Not that they can't already see what gets posted here...

2 people like this.
  2. serena3

serena3 Member

Please no.

1 person likes this.
  3. deleted

deleted Visitor

I will leave then.. Ill have known my generation has failed me..

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I already dislike websites with facebook links all over the place. It'll muck up this place badly.

5. skip

I would hope that if most of you say no, you will instead network with your REAL LIFE friends and get more people to come here to make up for those we lose to Facebook...

Or should we even care about those who prefer Facebook over the Hip Forums?

They do leech a lot of our members over time. Who knows it could be worse if we connect with Facebook...

I wonder what other forums have experienced before and after connecting with Facebook. I've always thought it would hurt a forum to do that.

6. LovesLiquid

LovesLiquid Member

No please dont :(

Also apart from trillions of crappy updates whats the advantage ???????????????

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

no

and that means no to both lol

no facebook connect and no I wont invite real life friends here

this is my place to get away from the real friends

8. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

I just de-activated my facebook. I'm using G+ now, but there's not many people there yet. It's much the same, and also probably CIA run.

I say no, simply because I'm getting fed up with sites all interlinking - it gets too complicated. Should I post this on site a. and link it to b. or post it to c. and link it to both a. and b.... and so on. Meh.

OTOH I'm really that fussed either way.

Actually on second thoughts, I don't want stuff I say on here being posted to facebook, at all really. So that settles it for me. No!

9. skip

OK then, your imaginary friends are welcome... :alien:

I'm not seeing any Facebook fans yet...:mickey:

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

that isnt nice

11. skip

I understand completely, cause even tho I don't do Facebook, I still have that dilemma cause I do post elsewhere, and of course I have many websites of my own where I post. Decisions, decisions...

Hell it's hard enough to decide whether to send a pm, start a thread, post a blog entry or whatever...

I think we all spend too much time on the fucking computer!

12. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

On McLeod's comment to G+, maybe you can incorporate with that somehow?

I know it has this +1 feature that allows you to give a "thumbs up" to sites that all your friends can see...Pretty much anything that is on google search is allowed to be +1'ed

And you can group people in "circles" and organize it in a way that certain "circles" can see what you allow (better security than facebook).

I've been screwing around on Google + and it seems pretty promising. Its in beta now, but I'm sure it will continue to grow with more features and connections...

13. skip

After posting that mickey mouse icon, I got to thinking, what's the difference between joining Facebook and the Mickey :mickey: Mouse Club?

14. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

I am a real person on facebook, and a virtual person here. I'd like to keep it that way.
    Yeah.. I don't want my friends, and especially my family, to see the stuff I write about here.

I understand we can still keep them separate, but I don't see any overwhelmingly good reasons for doing this. I doubt we'd lose users to facebook, I think people come here for the open mindedness and possibility to disuss anything they want without too much prejudice..

15. skip

What?

[​IMG]

I thought for sure YOU would have some imaginary friends...

Surely someone is dying to connect with you here via Facebook...
    [​IMG]

16. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

Who wants their face in a book anyway.

I don't.

17. LovesLiquid

LovesLiquid Member

I think they are a dying breed

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

Hobbes is real damn it !!!!!!..how many times do I have to tell people

(my facebook accounts use fake names so real life people cant find me there either lol :D )

19. skip

Hehe... I just figured out how Google's gonna fuck with Facebook. Now that they're in direct competition, they can lower Facebook's search rankings. Unfortunately search isn't a big deal for Facebook because 95% of people go straight there, without a search. It's all those damn links everywhere, so I guess they're nearly google-proof. They don't need google when every major website has links to them.

20. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

In the internet business, saying you don't need google is the direct mathematical equivalent of win.

Which is why I stay the hell away from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.