PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by foxxe, Jul 3, 2011.

1. EyesoftheWorld

EyesoftheWorld Guest

Dude - I haven't worked a regular job since 08 and I can't even get a stupid job - What am I doing? Meditating - Praying - Asking the Creator WHAT to do - I am on food stamps - sell small pieces of art now and then - sold an antique that floated me a few months - don't know what ELSE to do - got on this forum to find others.

1 person likes this.
  2. YoMama

YoMama Member

I think you have something very valuable to say here i wish you would divide it up into paragraphs

3. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

Dude i been looking for awhile now its hard to find a steady job i been doing here and there work lately through a temp agency

4. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Sunday there was three young guys sitting on the corner by the mall. They had a sign stating that they were looking for work with the beet harvest and needed a couple bucks to get by. What made it more interesting than most of the people you see on the corner is that they were dressed period like? Kind of peasant. Long hair...YAAA.. One of them was playing a guitar, the style of it looked old too. They had their backpacks with them they were on the road. It made me think, just grab my guitar stuff some clothes in a backpack and fuck it...see where the road goes..Been anchorred too long in society I guess, hard to chop the roots loose..If your young get a couple buds and do it...

5. indydude

indydude Senior Member

As the recession turns to a depression we'll see more people traveling around 'Dust Bowl' style. Probably see more train riders hoboing around. A lot of new culture came out of the old depression and these times I see something similar developing.

6. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

Kinda been what I've been doing since 08', 6 months here, 9 months there just heading from one "potential opportunity" to another till I find what I feel is "the right one". I'm finding that the longer I'm at it, the harder it is for me to conceive of just what exactly I want to end up doing or where I want to settle. Sort of like I found it's simply travelling, I just need to fine tune my methods of doing so I think.

Currently have myself in lock down in Chicago, trying to find a steady job simply so I can scrape up enough cash for a pickup truck and a camper or some similar setup, then it's off to the west coast in search of workamping gigs (Caretaking at RV parks and so forth) and eventually, hopefully an ecovillage to settle into and make terra preta till I'm old and silver haired.

O.P. Being as you actually have a car, I'd suggest to expand your search to beyond the Texas border, the job market nowdays is much like playinng whack a mole, you never know when or where that mole will pop up next but you have to look for it and be ready for whe it appears. I.E. While looking for a gig in Oregon recently, I found a lead for a job as a Millwright in Wisconsin at a Sawmill, and they provide relocation assistance and so forth, we'll see where this goes I guess. But like I said, you never know what to expect or when to expect it.

Find a labor ready, do some day labor crap just to be sure you have some pocket change for liability insurance and gas money to get you 5 states from where you are now, get a cheap laptop and learn to love McDonalds Coffee while you search craigslist in whatever area you're visiting looking for gigs, googling around for Homeless services groups and soup kitchens. Sure you're not really homeless but if it bugs you eating there then just be sure to volunteer for kitchen or cleanup duty and you will have earned your meal.

And although the pay sucks ass, Day labor can actually turn into steady work if you're a good worker too so that may be something to look into even where you are now if you're dead set on staying around the area.

7. MissCyanide

MissCyanide Member

Dont be picky, even try something simple like a retail job, look for and gain some experience, even if you feel it's not needed. You could try also selling things you may own in the meantime, but things you don't necessarily use anymore and you think could be used again elsewhere, I mean without transport it could be hard to sell anything off at a local market but it is an option. It can't be that hard to get a job even if it's simple it's GOING to pay the bills, it just means alot of patience and no spending.

We're in the middle of a recession so of course jobs are scarce and when I say that I mean scarce EVERYWHERE, also be confident and willing, dont sit there too waiting for a call, YOU call THEM and say "hey it's ------, just calling about the job and I'd just like to say once again that I am very interested in filling any possible vacancies", be polite and use manners, show your interest - by then you should be able to get somewhere.. look presentable too.

8. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

Hm, hope this turned out ok... the second post she made sounded more positive anyway :)