Med thread

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Blissfullyawareofitall, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Blissfullyawareofitall

Blissfullyawareofitall Member

In this thread we discuss medications you've taken and what you think of them. Have they worked? Are they working? Let us know!

Current medication: Bupropion

I have to admit, this drug is amazing! I can focus, have energy, and can actually live my life without a constant struggle to uplift myself and be a self-defeating jerkwad. But I discovered a little trick to making it work better.

Every 2 weeks or so, don't take it for a day. That day starts out pretty awesome with out the pill for me, but about half way through it goes down hill fast... but when I take it the next day it's very effective for about 2 more weeks!

2. Iwanttoliveinavan

Iwanttoliveinavan Member

I've been on celexa for alittle while. It's really helping with my anxiety.

3. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I have Schizoaffective Bipolar Disorder, so I have quite the 'list' of medications:

1. Effexor (Venlafaxine) 225mg- antidepressant that I use for anti-anxiety- doesn't help with depression however- I am on a high dose and hope to lower it soon as it raises my blood pressure.

2. Zyprexa (Olanzapine) 7.5mg- an atypical antipsychotic for my paranoia, delusions, and auditory hallucinations- probably the most effective medication I take in terms of improving my life- it is a low to moderate dose and side effects include weight gain and tiredness.

3. Concerta & Ritalin (Methylphenidate)- 54mg Concerta + 20mg Ritalin IR- a psychostimulant used for both depression relief and underlying attention problems likely caused by the schizophrenic aspect of my illness. Works well, but lasts not long enough.

4. Klonopin (Clonazepam)- 1mg- I used to take 4-5mg of this for anxiety, but I have not needed it lately for some reason, so I just take 1mg every night to get to sleep quickly.

5. Suboxone (Buprenorphine)- 6mg- this is an off-label treatment for my severe depressive symptoms, and is, to this date (along with other opioids), the only thing that lifts my black cloud of misery. My favorite medicine.

4. weevil

weevil Guest

Was it the high dose that helped? I've been on it twice but only up to 150mg. People call it Sideffexor but it helped me more than any others, even warned me when I missed a dose by making me think I'd shoved my head into a live socket...while at work...driving. Even this I'm not sure I could trust again, and it's not the docs fave anymore.

Sounds amazing, does it give a high though?

As for me:

#1 Propranolol - This is recent, I'm not sure its right for me though, it's especially a couple of months late. It reduces the physical symptoms of anxiety which I don't really get except for a few months ago when I was moving house, then I was really shaking and had a massive knot in my stomach. I'm not one of these anxiety sufferers that's afraid they're having a heart attack, I'm sure I wouldn't like the discomfort but I'm not afraid of dying. I need an anti-anxiety med that stops the internal worry.

#2 Phenazepam - Hence my kinda going back on my word of doing what I was told. But the worry was getting too much, I wanted to kill myself because I couldn't function properly and this worked wonders last year. Only I think there's a supply problem now, the legal high sites have jumped on it for some reason so it's not as strong. I consider sourceing it myself.

5. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

IMO Effexor doesn't carry many side effects. I actually find the SSRIs to be worse, especially with their notorious sexual side effects. I certainly found that the medicine is only effective at the higher dose. I moved from 150 to 225 and it was like I was taking nothing to taking a really solid anti-anxiety medication. The only side effect is mild hypertension.

As for Suboxone, it does give a high, but it is more subtle and not 'in your face.' it is everything you would expect an antidepressant to be. It makes me feel like what i imagine normal everyday people feel like and how they view situations they encounter in life. But, yes, I would certainly call it a high to some degree!!

EDIT: I recently changed out the Concerta & Ritalin for Vyvanse (dextroamphetamine prodrug). I take 30mg and it is way more effective than the Concerta. It carries WAY less of a nasty physical load and is a purely mental stimulant. I get lots more done and feel much less antsy on this stuff.