All you people who believe in life after death...

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by walsh, Jul 2, 2011.

1. walsh

walsh Senior Member

When the body dies, what is it that persists after death? When you say you go to heaven after you die, what is it that goes to heaven?

2. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I'm not quite sure what I believe in, but I do believe the soul of a human being travels on...that's why we have paranormal happenings in the world and that's why some people vividly remember their past lives.

So I think its the soul that goes on for eternity...or until its purpose is served

3. walsh

walsh Senior Member

What is the soul? Is it everything in the body minus the physiological body which has died? Just the memories? Reasoning capacity? How can a living person know what is the soul and what isn't?

4. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

I personally feel like the soul is the intuitive side of a being to understand it even exists. The soul is the natural being of a person before the world we are in molds it into a being in human form. I believe since energy, matter cannot be "destroyed" that our souls move in from our empty vessel of a body to another state in which our soul's energy can recognize it's existence once again.

5. YoMama

YoMama Member

IMHO the spirit is the energy of our life the current you may not be able to see it but it is there. Kind of like radio waves

6. mckarkies

mckarkies Member

It's like how when people take hallucinogenics and say they feel the mood of everyone in the room and of the room itself. That energy is picked up all the time no matter what, but on hallucinogenics it is intensified.

7. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

What is it that persists during life? Nothing at all, yet we are demonstrably alive. So why shouldn't the same nothing at all survive death?

8. walsh

walsh Senior Member

The body is alive, nothing demonstrably more. If that nothing survives death, then the thing that survives is nothing. Make sense? It doesn't to me...

9. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

Yes, the body is alive, but that wasn't what I asked. I asked what persists. Cells die and are replaced. Molecules get broken down into metabolites and excreted, replaced by newly-synthesized replacements. Nothing persists.

10. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Heaven? - well thats one way of putting it - For me - It's another dimension
    'This' life is only one charter of an Never Ending story
    The body is only a vehicle in witch the Soul and Spirits operate - it decays only when the two move on.
    Where they go to is ... well I guess you just have to be there :)

11. Voice of Truth

Voice of Truth Member

I have no clue what happens after death. But I do know that there is something else and my wife is there now. When I close my eyes before going to sleep, I can sense her near me.

Perhaps I'm just an old man that really misses his wife. But where ever she is, I know she is waiting for me. Although I'm not at all suicidal, I'm looking forward to seeing her again and holding her in my arms. It's our love that tells me there is an after life and nothing can convince me otherwise.

12. walsh

walsh Senior Member

Well, we have continuity of thought. Our cells seem to have a memory of sorts - our hands get tougher if we use them a lot, brain gets stronger the more it is used, and our telomeres get shorter until we die. But technically you're right, nothing stays alive during our "lifetime".

Let's say you die and go to heaven. Your body is dead. Your brain cells which give rise to your thoughts, the same thoughts which are now claiming there is a heaven to which you are going to go, are also dead and gone. What is this "soul" - what does it consist of? All your behavior and conditioning is acquired since birth, your likes and dislikes, friends and loved ones, so do you end up with a clean slate like you did when you were born or do you retain all that? Because once you eliminate all that I can't see there being anything left to amount to a soul.

13. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

Precisely.

Except when we don't of course. We lose some continuity every night when we sleep. We might lose some if we get a concussion and have amnesia. We lose some (along with more amnesia) when we die.

But that "continuity" (more-or-less) of thought is all we have when we are alive. It is not a thing, but a process. It is what makes us think that we are a person while we are alive. For many of us who believe in life after death, it is what continues after death.

14. walsh

walsh Senior Member

How does that work? When the cells creating that process are destroyed, it doesn't seem sensible to infer the process would continue.

15. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I look on the body as kinda 'field of experience' which is situated within the larger realm of one's soul, and of soul groups; i imagine the field is docked to the point of greatest potential of growth in consciousness, both collectively and individually. Yet what persists ?

The claim to persist seems to include the concept of time. Perhaps, beyond those time fields, there is no such thing as persistance, as time only exists as limitation, or as possibility.

Just a thought.

16. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

17. KeithBC

KeithBC Member

It doesn't seem sensible if you assume that the process is confined to those cells and is dependent upon them. But there is no evidence that that is an accurate assumption.

Granted, there is no evidence that it isn't, and a scientist would have to conclude as you do. But this isn't a science forum on which you are asking the question.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

if you was standing on the the surface of Jupiter and looked back at earth .. What would it matter?.. you cant even see that far with human eye site. Just as you cant see that far into heaven with Human eyes..

Living or Dead It does not matter.. the soul is smaller than a speck of dust, yet as large as the Universe itself..

19. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

Without being buried in a pyramid there is no after life

20. walsh

walsh Senior Member

I'm not asking for evidence, rather what reason do you infer a soul in the first place? It seems rather unusual to assume a nebulous field of consciousness where none is visible nor evident.