It Wasn't All Roses......

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Stillcrazy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Stillcrazy

Stillcrazy Member

I've been thinking a lot about the Old Days lately, and I've been remembering that it wasn't all fun and games and love and peace, as a lot of the younger generation seem to think. I remember the police violence on the anti-war demonstrations and I remember wrapping my scarf around a guy's bleeding head when we managed to get to shelter. I remember the restaurants and pubs that wouldn't serve us and the verbal abuse on the streets. I lived in the Bay Area of Northern California in the late 60's and I vividly remember the anti-hippie feelings after the Manson family were arrested. We were associated with them in some peoples minds, and people were afraid of us. In the late 60s, early 70s, I remember some men cutting their hair to avoid the shite we were getting from all sides.
    I never doubted for a minute that we were right and now, in my middle age, I look back on my generation with pride and love. So many of us did keep the faith in the face of adversity, and so many of us are still here and still fighting. I am so happy to be part of that generation, although I know we paid our dues. So many of us still came up smiling.
    To all of us older hippies, I just want to tell you how much I respect you. You are my family, my brothers and sisters and I love you.

2. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

It's nice to hear someone from your generation say it. It seems like the younger kids on this site treat the era with some mystical reverence. Like all it was was throwing on tie-dye, dropping acid, and partying. Then there are people who are my age who could be your kid's who rebelled a little and got cynical. It seems like there are alot of posts from them who want to want to piss on the parade so to speak. And in between lies the truth.

I realize that without the trials and tribulations of the Vietnam War era we wouldn't be where we are right now. I also realize that there is still progress to be made. I've also been told I look like Charles Manson (although personally I think I look more like the Zig Zag man) and chased by assholes in pickup trucks it still happens. But I'm glad to be here now.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

3. Paisley Skye

Paisley Skye Member

:sunny:thank-you for the kind words and thank-you for the dose of reality. it was a beautiful time but for those of us who stood up for our rights, it was also a difficult time. but for all the good and all of the bad, i'd do it again in a heartbeat. in our own way, we made this world a better place to live in. and even today, i take the lessons i learned back then and apply them (quite successfully) in the world i live in. paisley skye.:hippy:

4. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

Ah yes, The good old days.

The worse parts that I ever remember were any of the broke and hungry parts. Thats about as bad as in gets. That and having admission, back stage passes, and dressing room passes to an Oakland 69 or 70 ? Who concert and no one from the office phoned us back to let us know that it was a go and to pick these Passes up at the Will Call window. Yeah. Thats about as bad as in gets.

Me and a lot of people always tried to leave the protests before the cops and the nations guard showed up. Peace! I figured that we had made our point during the protest march.

Rev

Oh Yeah you do look like the Zig Zag man. Wonder how many younger people would have a clue as to who or what that is?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

To me at the time I was having the time of my young life. I was looking for life, zest, adventure, concerts, Love, sex, high times, underground, Personal growth, seeking God, new friends, celebrations, Dancing spirit, Happiness, divine revelation, pot, LSD, kindred hearts, to change the world, world peace, the list goes on, and I found it ALL.

:sunny:

5. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I had a couple of friends worried because they hadn't seen me in a while so they called me up and said they saw my picture on the Zig Zag pack. That's my new favorite joke especially since I've started wearing a bandanna alot lately.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

6. Stillcrazy

Stillcrazy Member

We don't have zig-zag papers in the UK (the equivalent here is Rizla), so I haven't seen the Zig-zag man in many a year. I remember they used to make tee shirts with the Zig-zag man on them, smoking a spliff. Do they not make them anymore?
    I'm visiting my Dad in Canada in September, so I'd like to pick up some zig-zags for old times sake!

7. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

we do, actually. but rizla are the popular choice.

8. I remember those times well - no access to public transport, thrown out of cafes and bars, shouted at in the street. What the fuck, I didn't give a toss. There was much more good vibe than bad! Also glad to be part of that generation and still fighting injustice. Small aside - I've seen zig-zag in Britain too but can't remember where, nothing new there, I'm shit at that kind of thing ;)

9. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

A lot of people felt threatened by us back then, mostly because I don't think they understood what we were rebelling against. It used to hurt my feelings when someone treated me with scorn or said ugly things to me, but I survived. I try to remember those days now when I see younger people doing things that I think are wrong or misguided. But so it goes, eh?

I've already posted on here about a gentleman in my city who had a sign on his front gate that said "Hippies use the back door". One day I saw him out in the yard and I stopped to ask him why he felt that way. We ended up having a nice conversation and he invited me in for coffee. I will never agree philosophically with people like him, but at least we can be civil, and I think that's really important.

And I noticed some days later that he took down the sign :)

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Thank you for this. A lot of my peers seem to have no clue what a tough time it was.

There's a hippie ran cafe here that has a sign like that =D

11. countrcultur

countrcultur Guest

Really cool to hear this side of things. Stillcrazy I'd be really interested in interviewing you about those experiences.

12. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It's so true, not all a wonder of colour. There were dark days of prejudice, discrimination and hardship. Assainations, that war and civil unrest being treated as fodder for incaring and unsympathtic enforcers of the law.
    Still, the causes were just and the hastle worth enduring - for in the end the calibre of character will always shine through.
    I pass this onto my chidren and granddaughter in the knowledge that being of character and conviction will see them blossom shine and retain their integrity

13. Iwearmylovelikeheaven

Iwearmylovelikeheaven Guest

:sunny:Hello Old Hippies! God Bless you each and everyone....I'm a newbie here and reading these posts from you all gives me renewed hope for the future. We're STILL HERE!!

14. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I never had any trouble getting in anyplace. I'd just flash my tits at them and the doors would swing wide.

I dont remeber getting called any bad names and I made a fortune panhandling on Market Street.

I got there before The Change and was able to soak up all that good Love, Peace and Hippie Beads vibe. I got to see, hear and touch all the popular bands, partied with em' went to their shows.

I lived through The Homefront War, the War against Love and Peace. I took my share of knocks and have the scars to prove it. I watched as The Street Of Love turned to hate and sleezeballs. I stayed till the end in 74.

I learned how to survive in the midst of adversity. I became a warrior for change. I am still that warrior, tho' I may be old and unable to physically fight. I use my words and stories to relate the experience.

I had the roughest times in my life in The Haight. I cant say I would not have had such detailed strife if I had lived otherwise. I think your chart is your chart, no matter where you be.

I think my use of LSD help me keep my head. Even with my dependancy on speed for a few yrs did not break my mind. I just have a broader view then I think I would have if I would have been straight.

I have more understanding of life's ups and downs and how to handle them. I see a bigger pitcure then what is painted about The Hippies. Having lived it has taught me to be who I am and to be true to myself.

15. WE1

WE1 Member

The 60's were fun, but you had to be young.

16. placou 1968

placou 1968 Member

to all the youth reading posts from us elders, heres how it stands out in my mind (everyday).
    we started developing our own mindset at around the age of 10 or so, our parents were all rednecks, anti anything that wasnt "pure" to their specs. they listened to old orchestra or hard core country music, because a thing called rock and roll was yet to come, but with memphis beat up and coming and the introduction of mr. presley to the scene, our redneck parents got a small taste of what we were about to discover,.....acid rock. when the "real "r&r" hit and was taking off well, i was invited to my senior trip to s/e asia. when i returned i grew my hair, i already had more than enough knowledge of pot by then to know i was going to seek it out on u.s. soil. well i did, and if any of you have a 1974 high times open it up to largest marijuana seizure in state history (stoddard county). (you can do the math). from that point on it was constant booze, women, pot, (which incidently was 15 dollars a lid or 45 dollars a qp).at the concerts a single person would smoke the equivilent of 10 maybe 15 hooters in 2 hours (my tolerance isnt that good anymore). keg parties, man i could go on for another 6 hours but i wont bore you with story"s about qualudes, sodium seconal, t's n blues, preyludes that you had to cut open to get the pill out of its shell.... etc cant get em anymore anyway.
    this is barley scratching the surface, damn it was a blast. i would dig down deep into my cash flow to go back and do it one more time

17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I guess we all have a million stories. I know I do. I wonder about all the folks I met traveling--about the ones that lived below Captain Cook on the big island as I did-the ones I tripped with and became as one -and never saw again. Yeah,there were some rough times for some,but fortunately for me--I didn't have any. A hell of an exciting time to just be.

18. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Growing up in Michigans Upper Peninsula we saw all the stuff going on on TV but to actually experience didn't really happen. I grew up scared as hell about being drafted and going to Viet Nam. One of the most vivid memories I have is B-52 bombers flying at a bit higher than treetop level over are house 3-4 times a week. We lived in the flight path for K.I. Sawyer AFB up in Marquette.

19. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

Yea, well, I'm sure we don't have your tits, at least I don't.
    Hello Ms. Heifer, I've been gone a while, how y'all been?

I was born in Marquette, in 1947 & I got drafted & it sucked.

Peace,
    poor_old_dad

20. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

It Wasn't All Roses......?

I remember going to for a walk at sunrise and watching the morning blossom into day and as I passed a man getting into his car to go to work, I just had to share the love I felt and beamed a bright "Good Morning" to him and in anger he yelled at me "Fuck You" and I felt sorry for him and thought how great to be me, I can enjoy this beautiful day and don't have to be angry first thing in the morning. [​IMG]