What's Brazil Like?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by sophieclair, May 13, 2011.

1. sophieclair

sophieclair Senior Member

Hi I'm thinking about moving to Brazil when I finish college and I was just wondering what Brazil is like? Are the people friendly? Is it hard to find work? Is it hard to become a citizen? What's the climate like? I'm looking for any insight.

2. Baby Blue

Baby Blue Member

hi! well, i'm from Brazil. maybe too late to answer your question because its december already.. haha
    anyway, it depends A LOT the location of brazil you want to live. south and north are like 2 different countries! i mean it. i'm from the south, is the richer part of brazil, and the most part of people are decendents of european imigrants. even the cities has a influence of italian, polish and german culture. And its funny cause the people from the other countrys dont know this part of brazil, they are usually used to think about brazil in different ways, like jungle, carnaval, soccer and all stuff, which is not a lie, but if you want that you have to go to Rio or the extreme noth. The climate its other point that depends the place you want to live. here in south its very cold at winter, there is snow at some high points, and at the summer temperatures are between 15 and 25ºC. the north is hot all year. I think if you want to get a job in brazil, i recommend the south, or midwest, the industry grows and grows every year, specially the automotive industry. As i said, it depends what you want to do. =) about to become a citizen i think you need to stay here for 15 years, but if you get merried is different. There's others requirements of course, like speak portuguese. but i dont have much idea. if you still wanted help, tell me and maybe i can search for you. =)

3. lode

lode Banned

Nice people. Expensive.

4. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

The women are the hottest in the world and the men know jiu jitsu

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm not sure it is so expensive compared to western standards at all.

6. Baby Blue

Baby Blue Member

hmm.. no.

7. lode

lode Banned

A whole lot of Brazilians are flocking to the states because property in Florida is

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/24/travel/brazilian-tourist-invasion/index.html

"That's because even at regular price, many goods and services in the United States are much cheaper than in Brazil, where tariffs, taxes and transportation costs can mean higher prices."

Clothing and electronics are much much cheaper in the States. I know people who buy and sell clothes, and my friend got busted for bringing IPhones into Sao Paulo.

8. Shivaya

No what? Doesnt brazilian jiu jitsu come from brazil?

And are you not aware of how sexy the brazilian women are with their bootylicious curves and what not? And how their sexuality is celebrated instead of attenuated?

I know my post was kinda humoristic, but it was founded in truth...

9. Baby Blue

Baby Blue Member

I am sorry, but i am brazillian and i never heard about brazillian jiu jitsu or something like that.
    and there's pretty woman and ugly woman everywhere, i can't understand this generalized thing about brazilian beauty. yes there is a lot of gorgeous women here and yes there is a lot of ugly-as-hell women here too, like everywhere else.
    but i agree with you when you said how sexuality is celebrated instead of attenuated. at least comparing with some other cultures, i think..

10. Shivaya

11. lode

lode Banned

Brazilian jui jitsu is pretty famous, started by this family named Gracie in Rio. Another famous Brazilian martial art is Capoeira which resembles break dancing, as it was started by slaves in order to disguise it.

12. Baby Blue

Baby Blue Member

haha no, i was born here and always lived here. just last year i lived in Ireland for about 6 months.

13. Asmodean

Interesting :2thumbsup:

14. Shivaya

Oh! Well you know what the UFC is right? Mixed martial arts are pretty much built around three things - wrestling, kickboxing, and brazilian jiu jitstu. It's basically an art of submission wrestling. There's also Vale Tudo which comes from brazil, which is basically a primitive form of Mixed martial arts. I'm very suprised you dont know about this! haha

15. Asmodean

I've only heard of capoeira, though I admit I don't know shit about martial arts. I bet it's easy to miss if you're not interested :D

16. Shivaya

By the way, I just creeped your profile, and you are breathtakingly freaking beautiful so I stand by my stereotype. Brazilian women are the sexiest on earth!

17. Baby Blue

Baby Blue Member

ok, now i know. thank you for explain me. :p but yea, i know what UFC and vale tudo is. but the truth is that these "brazilian things" are not as common here as people (not brazilians) think they are. i just saw capoeira once when i was in Bahia and here where i live i will probably die without see this again, because it is not a touristic city. thats what i was trying to say.

18. Baby Blue

Baby Blue Member

haha ok, as you wish ;)