communes in australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by mrgs, May 11, 2011.

1. mrgs

mrgs Guest

hi, i am pretty interested in living in a commune in the future, and have just been wondering how one actually goes about finding a commune in australia? or even one overseas?

thanks alot for any help!

2. thesmelloftrees

thesmelloftrees Member

im from south australia and can defiantly tell you there are non here. unless you count indigenous people living in parks and constantly being told to get a job.

i heard in NSW there are a few big ones and heaps of small ones. but you just gotta save up cash and go on a roadtrip and see for yourself. probably why no one knows about them because they never come back to tell people they found one.

3. thebeardeddrummer

thebeardeddrummer Guest

Maybe try hitting up a few festivals and asking around there. You always get guys who know a guy who knows a guy... Apart from that not really sure what to recommend, coz I doubt many of these communes are gonna have a website up telling you all about them. Happy hunting

4. PeaceInTime

PeaceInTime Member

I'm also rather interested in this, if you find anything let me know!

5. Perilless

Perilless Member

There're are few big and small communes around Nimbin in northern NSW that I visited. Really beautiful part of the world, too!

6. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you read Grass Roots magazine or Earth Garden magazine there are sometimes adverts for communes of a type where you have a small portion of land to yourself and the rest is shared. They don't usually allow for cats and dogs.

7. thesmelloftrees

thesmelloftrees Member

honestly the whole communal living thing to be sounds too good to be true, i find it hard to understand why people want to join a commune. there is no point running off into the forest because it helps no one. the problems are in society, and you need to be in society to fix them. but if you dont give a shit your welcome to go to nimbin, smoke weed and pretend your saving the world.

8. Perilless

Perilless Member

You think that by being in society you are helping to ''fix'' it? I envy you your optimism and idealism, then. It seems to me that by living and working in society, you're just helping to prop it up and contribute to the materialistic, shallow and consumerist way of life most people have.

By moving to a commune in the country, at least you might be living in a more ecological and sustainable way, and so distancing yourself slightly from those warped values that dominate our society. But only slightly...

9. jessyBessy

jessyBessy Guest

That all sounds great.

How is the life in communes organised?
    Eg everybody has tasks? Are they living in tents/houses?

When I want to join one and want to find the right place for me where to I start and know to find communities? (Ok I know there is Byron Bay and Nimbin but where are the real communities)

10. PeaceInTime

PeaceInTime Member

I agree here with Perilless.. by living in a commune you are living off the land, a minimalist society.. where as in modern day society, everything is about consumerism.. so by moving to a commune your impact on the world is less, although it may not be a wholly noticeable change to anything major, it is still a change.. and thats what counts.

11. thesmelloftrees

thesmelloftrees Member

so many people want to join a commune, but no one is starting one. you know what you have to do. start off buy getting a big van car. travel from state to state and pick up people, finally when you get to nsw go get your ass to nimbin. find some land and live.