Henna vs. Permanent tattoos

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by synshad, Apr 20, 2011.

1. synshad

synshad Guest

I am and have always been interested in the ways of self expression, but generally prefer not to partake in the physical body modifications, due to their permanence. I would like to know, however, your opinions on henna tattoos, as opposed to permanent tattoos, since henna is not permanent. Is it worth looking into? Thanks!

2. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Is it worth it for what?

Ignoring that for a moment... you want other people's opinion on how you should express yourself?

Really?

3. synshad

synshad Guest

I'm not asking how I should use it...I'm asking if it's worth pursuing, or if it's just a waste of money. I'm just curious. I'm not asking anyone HOW to use it.

4. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Yeah... that was my point.

Asking how to use it would be wanting to learn about the process...
    If that had been what you asked, I would have said, check these sites out;
    http://www.hennamehndi.com/
    http://www.hennatattoo.com/
    http://www.hennapage.com/

And watch these videos;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBJdi1QgN6U"]YouTube - How to Give Henna Tattoos : Making Henna Tattoo Paste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH5v5L1G9p4"]YouTube - How to Give Henna Tattoos : Practicing Henna Tattoo Designs on a Model

But, as you say, what you are asking is whether or not it YOU should use it... and only you can decide that.

5. synshad

synshad Guest

Okay, okay. Thanks for the links :)

6. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Your welcome.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I don't think it's real henna, but I know there's shit sold as henna that causes horrible autoimmune and other problems.

8. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

People with autoimmune diseases have been reported to have issues with henna, but its one of those issues where nobody actually seems to agree.

In regards to some Black Henna; (not legal in the states)

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-para-phenylenediamine-ppd.htm

Para-Phenylenediamine - One of the most dangerous applications of PPD is when it is added to henna, a natural dye. When used for temporary tattoos, henna laced with PPD is known as “Black Henna.” Although this is not an approved use for PPD in the United States, some tattoo artists will illegally add the chemical to henna for darker temporary tattoos that dry faster than pure henna tattoos. Because the dye is applied while the PPD is in its oxidation process, its potential as an allergen is increased. Black Henna tattoos often result in a skin reaction similar to a chemical burn, which in turn results in a scar where the skin was tattooed.

9. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

10. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

11. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yeah, black or dark henna is what I heard about. It's not the henna that's the problem, it's potential adulterants and a lack of ability to regulate it. But just be careful and you should be fine.

12. spazzingfetish

spazzingfetish Member

henna is fun! :D there are lots of kits sold in stores and it's easy to play around with. if done properly it could last around 3 weeks. but remember it works best on hands and feet, you kinda limited in places you can apply if you want it to last and look strong

13. NomadQueen

NomadQueen Member

remember the day after applying the henna the disign will be very light and will darken the 2ed day and is usually even darker the 3rd day.

14. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

my ex got a tramp stamp and i dumped her. they are a bit slutty.

15. Faye

Faye Member

It is up to you to deside for sure how you are going to express yourself. but that being said, advice from others helps. I have had henna tatoos in the past, I also have two peremeant tattoos. The nice thing about henna is that you can change it as much as you want! If a mistake is made with a henna tatoo obviously it can be fixed before it dries or you can wait till it wears off about 2-4weeks. Henna is a great way to change you mind often but modify your body. You can also get a henna tatoo of something you would consider having done peremantly to decide if you really want to do it. Whatever you do let YOUR HEART guide you to what you truly want to do. Afterall its your body, and you must be very sure about your desison with a peremeant tatoo. If you are unsure go with henna.

16. tokinginger

tokinginger Member

WTH does that have to do with this thread? Sounds like she's better off!

To answer the OP, definitely be cautious about that black henna, it's not worth it. You may find that it doesn't work well for you. None of the henna one's I have had done have lasted longer than a few days. I would advise buying a kit and testing it on yourself first and go from there on whether or not you want to pay someone to do it.

17. Boro Boro

Boro Boro Member

Please tell me how the reputation system works.