How to reduce your tolerance?

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by PixieDiva, Apr 20, 2011.

1. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

I take norco for my back - but have been doing this for about 3 years now - and my tolerance is so high it's ridiculous.

The first time I took a vicodin I was FLYING and now - 3-5 norco's don't even touch me or my pain.

What can I do to decrease my tolerance level so I can start taking these normally again, or "as perscribed" - because I run out too soon now.

Thanks guys!:)

2. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

Withdraw and stay off the Norco's for Id say at least 1-2 months to get u back to close to what you started with. Unfortunately, It takes no time to get back up to your current dose. I am thinking that a 30mg Roxy would light you up pretty good right now though...!!

3. haha_wintaaa

haha_wintaaa Member

fast for about ten days.
    That should clean you up, and lower whatever "tolerance" you have

4. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Thank you - what are Roxy's? Do tell :)

5. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

1. roxys are Roxicodone, the brand name for an immediate release, high dose Oxycodone preparation. It comes in 15mg and 30mg immediate release doses. Highly abuseable.

2. The only good way to reduce tolerance while still using is yo supplement with an NMDA antagonist. The safest bet and the one I personally use, is simple Magnesium supplements. You need to buy chelated Magnesium like Magnesium Glycinate or else your body won't absorb it. I have reversed my tolerance a significant amount since I started taking it.

6. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Very interesting... I will try that, thank you!!! ;)

7. BottleFED

BottleFED Member

Why are you trying to lower your tolerance to pretty much the weakest pain killer on the market besides T-3s. Have you asked your Dr. about stepping up to Percocet?
    Also If 3-5 Norco isnt doing what you need, and you said that you are running out, Just exactly how many Norco are you taking a day and more importantly are you running over the daily limit of Acetaminophen that comes in each of your Norco. By having your Dr step you up to Percocet, you 1) end up taking less fillers that damage your liver and 2) your getting much better medicine to fight your pain and you can get back that FLYING HIGH feeling you talked about!

You say your tolerance is rediculously high, yet the only dose your post talked about is the one that doesnt do anything for your pain. How about share with us how many Norco, or whatever it is you take now, that effectively gets your pain down to a level thats comfortable. Once we figure out where you are at, will be easier to help you figure out a better solution. Weather it be to jump cold turkey or ween yourself down to a point where u can jump easy.
    One thing I can tell you is that quitting for a period of time is the only sure-fire way of significantly lowering your tolerance to a specific drug or opiate. As large a problem as opiate abuse is nowadays worldwide, if these Magnesium supplements were so effective at lowering your opiate tolerance it would be worth its wieght in gold. Can you imagine the money Heroin Addicts would save if they could keep their tolerance down to a specific level! Remember that the information you gather here and other places such as info that people are sharing with the board, Is WHAT WORKED FOR THEM. It does not necessarily mean that it will work for you!
    I have jumped twice from two doses cold turkey. Withdrawals suck, there is no real way to sugar coat it nor is there a cheap and easy way around it. Of course The reasons I jumped wasnt to lower tolerance, that just happened to be the only positive thing that came out of jumping off.
    I think your biggest issue will be pain control while trying to get your tolerance lower. If you can live with your pain for say 2 months tops, I think you can get your tolerance down a pretty significant bit.
    The problem most people have with quitting to lower your tolerance is the fact that when you are done and your ready to start taking your meds again, most people go straight back to the med they left which will make your tolerance return faster instead of going back to the meds you first started taking as your first opiates. In other words, I jumped from Oxycodone 120mg/day habit and when I got back on meds, I went back to oxycodone instead of say hydrocodone or codiene, something weaker. Granted, I didnt start back at 120mg/day. but I will easily get back to that point in alot less time than it took me to get there originally. I should have went back to Hydrocodone and started there.

8. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Wow - thank you for the very informative thread. Ok, so for me to get any kind of pain control, I have to take about 5-6 norcos. I only do that if it's so severe I can't take it, usually I take 2-3 but it's like taking nothing really? The buzz is cool, but I could care less as long as it took care of the pain. But it's not doing either.

Also, I didn't know Norco was the weakest pain killer on the market - my Dr tells me that I'm only 36 and if he keeps bumping me up, I'll top out, so he keeps me where I'm at, which isn't doing anything for me. THAT'S why I went and got more meds from a different doctor, ultimately getting caught by both doctors for it.

I've tried percocet before, and I remember it made me very nauseous, I don't think I gave it a good try though because I immediately asked him to switch me back down to Norco, and that was last summer.

See he has offered me stronger stuff before, and now when I ask, he just says "oh you're too young to get on anything stronger because you'll top out too soon" - it's like WTF, he has offered me other stuff before when I had only been going to him for a with or two at that time? He's very forgetful.

So I'm just gonna go in there and tell him that I've expressed my pain to him and he still feels that my current meds are fine, but I'm still in a lot of pain. So he has to do something for me.

And yes, I believe I'm taking OVER the recommended dose for apap. And that worries me.

So you think Percocet is better? It's that much stronger than Norco for pain?

Thank you so much for your reply! Much appreciated :)

9. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

I take kratom for pain instead of opiates. It feels like hydrocodone or poppy pod tea, and doesn't require a prescription. Also, it isn't as addicting as opiates either, despite the fact that the buzz is nearly identical.

10. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

So I forgot to answer your question fully - on good days I have to take 6-8 a day - on bad days I can take up to 12-16 a day just to get my pain down to a decent level, and sometimes it's like I take NOTHING at all and that's just insane.

I'm not sure if I could work and deal with the pain for 2 months. But if he won't switch me I'm gonna have to try it because I can't hang.

I fell last summer carrying a PC tower up some cement stairs, and I missed the last step and fell extremely hard, slamming my knee on the cement, since then I can NOT put ANY weight on my knee or it's excruciating. So I can't kneel down, not even on a mattress. I asked him about it, and he says "oh it's just a contusion" - fancy word for a bruise. So ten months later I asked the other doctor, and he says "you need an xray, you might've fractured it, it's been ten months, it should've healed" -

The doctor that I have the contract with is a Internal medicine dr, and the one that seems more concerned for me is only a general family dr. Isn't internal medicine suppose to be higher up than a regular Dr?

It's like he doesn't care, he doesn't ask me questions really, he just fills my script and that's it.

I asked him for sleeping pills because I have had insomnia for almost a year now, really bad. He said NO YOU"RE TOO YOUNG, but my girlfriend see's him and gets the exact same meds I do, and he gives her ambien and she's 27... wtf? It's like he forgets or I dunno? Pisses me off.

11. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Hmm...
    What's that and where do you get it? Does it help the pain the same?

Thank you!

12. tricknologist

It's a tree that grows in Southeast Asia, and the leaves are used for medicine and drugs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kratom

It helps me out with pain a lot, but I don't take opiates daily either. There's a good bit of cross tolerance, so it might not have as good of an effect on someone with a really high opiate tolerance.

As far as where to get it, I'll have to check the forum rules on posting vendor info, another forum I post on forbids it. But google will show up some results.

13. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Thank you - I tried googling it and I read up on it, but I'm afraid to buy from the online stores bcuz I'm afraid of getting ripped off. Can you message me the info perhaps please? I'm not sure what the rules are here either for that... sorry if I broke a rule..

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

There is a Kraton Vendor with a Banner here on Hip Forum..
    [​IMG]

15. tricknologist

There are a lot of bunk kratom vendors, so you do have to be picky.

I've never dealt with the vendor that Orison linked to, but I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to advertise here if they were anything less than honest.

Edit - I never use anything but plain powdered leaf, I've heard to many stories about extracts.

16. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Kratom is a mu-opioid agonist just like morphine. It is just as addictive. However, it may seem less addictive because one cannot use ROA other than oral. It also makes one nauseous at a certain dose level (I have experienced it myself), preventing outlandishly large doses. However, that does not mean that the chemicals in the plant which are mu-opioid agonists are not addictive in the realm of other opioids. "Natural" doesn't mean "better." Sometimes it does, but not always, and not here.

17. Kane_Train

Kane_Train Member

That is an awful lot of APAP. It sounds like you need to find a different Dr. If he is unwilling to switch your scrips or help you with your insomnia what good is he? Like other members said, percocet (oxycodone/APAP) is a stronger pain med and may be better for your situation. I would try and eliminate the acetaminophen completely though. Maybe start with roxi (oxycodone)15s and split them and see how those hit you. I'm five years younger than you and get BOATLOADS more than you from one Dr. so it is just a matter of finding someone who wants to "help". Also I would kill to have your tolerance level lolz......

18. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Interesting. Thank you :)

Ok, so what does ROA mean? New here, so kinda green. Thanks ;)

Thanks for the advice. I have no idea what this stuff is, I saw that it's a powder, leaf, extract, how do you do it? How do you make sure you don't OD?

Thanks again ;)

19. PixieDiva

PixieDiva Member

Haha, yea my friend feels the same way about my tolerance. She says a bottle full of norco's to her is like a cocaine covered hooker to Charlie Sheen, she has NO self control! So she's out of her 120 in like 5 days! Insane.

So do I tell my Dr I'm worried about the APAP and ask for something that doesn't have any in it? Will I sound like a rec user to him if I ask that?

And yes, he's kinda starting to piss me off. I understand he doesn't want me to "top out" - but if what I'm taking isn't helping, then ???? wtf.

I thought I scored big by him giving me 120 a month, lol. I didn't want to push it.

20. Kane_Train

Kane_Train Member

ROA = Route of Administration