Is there even a future anymore???

Discussion in 'The Future' started by JimiAllTheWay, Apr 13, 2011.

1. JimiAllTheWay

JimiAllTheWay Member

Global warming, deforestation, population growth, pollution....
    Just a few of the problems affecting our world.
    Not to mention: global economic depression, lack of clean water in developing nations, animal cruelty, underground slavery....
    Is there any hope for our world at all? What does the future hold for Earth? Is it too late now?
    Maybe I'm just too deep...
    If any body else has any similar or contradicting thoughts, please let me know :D

2. broony

broony Banned

At the rate the human species is going when it comes to what we take, and how much we put back, I would be shocked if we lasted another 200 years, 150 even seems pushing it. We can't get along with each other, we always fight fight fight. We have been brought up thinking more is better, and I need to have more than that person. Consume consume consume, then throwaway the ends. It is not working and even though we are trying to eat organic now, sell electric cars, burn less fossil fuels, harness safer energy, we should have started back we first had the chance. We have put it off way too long. We have consumed half of our worlds natural forests. We are losing an average of 200 species a year. Countries like India and China are starting to see water shortages. Japan now look what they dealing with. Africa is sick and not getting help. Cancer is about as common as a kid scraping his knee at recess. We have dug ourselves in a hole I don't think we can get out of.

3. AK Bones

AK Bones Member

There is a long long future ahead.

The odds of humanity playing any part of it seem pretty small.

4. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

if humans don't start exploring the solar system soon, then civilization is doomed.

5. Reality is BS

Reality is BS Member

cataclysm may bring purity

6. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

or that.

7. Istar

Istar Member

This world is in bad shape and just gets worse daily .... And theres more strives put to ignore and be ignorant then there is to fix and acknowledge it.

Theres the Vast Majority that doesn't care, Theres A huge majority is just ignorant enough to say its all fine and don't really research how this world is at this point since they think somehow its indestructible....

We have massive amounts of landfills in this world~ We have a ton of Waste and chemicals being spread out that just escalates daily and forms new bio hazards in which we cannot control.

Hell we even have our Trash building up into Islands in several locations in the ocean ~ http://www.planet-earth-clothing.com/news/tag/pacific-gyre/

Its literally sickening to see it all ~ However The human race would race fight corporate wars instead and keep the neverend failure of a greed economy going rather then to start fixing all this~

I agree at this rate it will take a world armageddon for us to reverse our destructive path ~

8. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Unless drastic changes are put in place then I believe we're destined to see civilization crash. But there will be survivors, they'll likely find themselves in a new dark ages where we're all living in third world conditions and people will have to learn old technologies in order to survive.

9. p0ly

p0ly Senior Member

The chances are most humans are gonna be dead soon but personally i think the Earth is completely and utterly fine and will live as long as it takes before the sun eats it. We are just fucking it for human life and some other poor animals which get caught in the crossfire of our self destruction.

Humans seem to feel this sense of superiority to everything else, we're all part of the same thing called life IMO, no such thing as good or bad or better or worse just opinions.

10. Charmed262

Charmed262 Member

Humans are the cause of their own down falls. Unless people stand up and start doing something about all of the destruction that the human race has caused there won't be a world left to save. Honestly all of the research that is going on with trying to save the world should have started a long time ago. When we fist seen the problems staring to arise. Of course humans are to dense to do anything about it till its nearly to late. Just my option though.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the unasailable nature of reality is diversity, and in that, there is always hope.

yes, collective human narrow shortsightedness IS screwing up our species very means of existence. this may result in a time of extreme unpleasentness. may or may not even make a signifigant long term impact on population.
    the little green pieces of paper aren't the beginning or ending of anything. what we expect of what they represent may change greatly. what matters isn't what stands or falls, but what its replaced by or evolves into.
    yes it all matters, and yes we can avoid most if not all of future suffering. if and when we wake up enough to use better sense then we have been.
    i think when people really understand that not doing so is a kind of collective mass suicide, they will. or maybe they still won't until many have died off and the remainder finally get the message their survival depends on it.
    either way, odds are still good there will go on being a humanity for at least as long as there already has been. or even something like ten times that.

12. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I don't think a post civilized world would be plunged into a "dark age". Certainly there may not be as many technological devices but unless we get a brain swipe
    I don't think we will lapse into ignorance, which is what the dark symbolizes in dark ages. I can imagine quite a dynamic human presence in the aftermath of fundamental disruption of civilization.

13. mustlivelife

mustlivelife Knows nothing!

It seems that our future depends on whether we can wake up from the conditioning and repression imposed upon us since birth by the powers that be. Obviously the Middle East is showing impressive progress in that department recently, as are many many many countries around the world as protests, marches and civil unrest continue in response to austerity measures.

For the most part I believe all our fate is in the hands of the American people, will you rise up and take back your country and give us back the world from your corporations? Or will you continue to sit there getting fatter, more ignorant and more annoying according to Brownstrump's annoyance scale (mass x lack of knowledge + hindered social awareness = GRRRRR)

14. mustlivelife

mustlivelife Knows nothing!

The "civilized" world fundamentally never left the dark ages. There were some bloody great attempts and we may think that we're oh-so-enlightened now but if you compare human potential to human product, there is only one conclusion. Also, since the turn of the 1900's, we have entered a little dark age of our very own, special darkness that really seems to have set humanity on a course of destruction. Happy days!!

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Biggest problem for a good (global) human future seems to be overpopulation to me.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm pretty sure humans are going to cause their own extinction within 500 years. With that statement being said, I think I just lost all desire to procreate...

back on topic...the Earth is a pretty powerful organism and we are a virus. The more we do to harm the Earth, the more will happen to combat the human race. We'll die, the Earth will take everything back, and everything will be as it should.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think we are a virus anymore like for example beavers, although we do harm the environment even more. Everything is as it should be, with or without human as hunters/gatherers or living in 'advanced' human societies. Wether everything on earth dies because of human intervention or a meteor there is no particular way everything actually should be. Except that all dies eventually, even earth as a whole :p

18. Voice of Truth

Voice of Truth Member

All things come to an end.
    No doubt, we as a species will also

19. dead_head_0000

dead_head_0000 Member

Global warming is complete bullshit, Deforestation is somewhat a problem, but for most of the trees that are chopped down, new ones are planted. Pollution is better than it has been in the past when there was no regulations, but its still pretty bad, there has always been slavery (sad but true), our economy is not real, its just bullshit to enslave us. Yes there is hope for the world, the only things I am worried about is a nuclear world war 3, or meteors hitting the earth and killing everyone. Also you have to remember that the earth is alive, and it will always regenerate itself, most of the stuff you listed is just fear mongering bullshit.

20. guest312

guest312 Visitor

Cyclical, cyclical, cyclical...........Anytime I try thinking about what the earth will be like in 500 years, hell, even 200 years, I find myself just getting frustrated. Technology will just become cheaper and cheaper, and we will in turn integrate it even further into our lives, making us even MORE dependent on technology. I'm not talking down to anyone here. I'll be the first to admit that I'm no Bear Grylls; if the power goes out I will lose my mind! I cant hunt or grow food.....my survival is based and maintained strictly because of technology.

That being said........I'm a believer in the universe being cyclical. Everything does indeed happen in cycles, cosmologically speaking. I'm on board with Neal Turok and the rest of the guys at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics. The big bang wasn't a one time thing.......it is just one of many that have happened over the course of trillions and trillions of years. Our "known" universe is thought to be aged between 12 and 14 billion years. When you start thinking in the millions and billions in respect to the aspect of time, just the existence of humans as a species is so insignificant that it almost can't be quantified. And to think that most of our species advancements have come in the last 100 years, it is mind boggling to think about what can happen in another hundred, or two, or even a thousand years from now.

If you want both sides of the futurist spectrum, check out Ray Kurzweil and Hugo de Garis. Both of these guys are incredibly intelligent and highly respected in their given fields. They both have some really interesting thoughts on the way the future will turn out for us.