Chaining or no Chaining?

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by Pigsonthewing, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Pigsonthewing

Pigsonthewing Member

Just curious as to your opinions on keeping dogs on a chain for life? And why do you have that opinion :)

2. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

I think a dog should be inside, but if it messes up the house when you're away then outside it needs to go while your away.

Chained only if it's a fence hopper.

3. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

the only reason a dog should be chained for life, is because they are a danger to others.
    case in point; there once was a dog where i lived, that was fence jumper. the dog would attack, and if possible kill other animals. his asshole (owner) did nothing about his dog.
    one day, the dog jumped the fence into a neighbors yard, and killed her cat. she shot and killed the dog, while it still had the cat in it mouth.

that case was an owner problem and not a dog problem.
    the dog paid the price for his asshole (owners') being an asshole!

4. weaverc12

weaverc12 Member

i feel the same as the other replies... dogs are people too. unless armed and dangerous... let it be free:D

5. lil_hippie13

lil_hippie13 Guest

its not the breed of the dog but the breed of the owner~ ceaser
    iv grown up with rotwilers, german shepards, an dobermans wich i currently own now.. never had to chain any of them.. as long as u spend time with an train ur dog... wich realy isnt that hard.. wen i was twelve i had my shepard trained to walk without a leash in the trailer park.. exercize, disaplain, an affection if u dont have time for that then, whats the point in owning one?

6. Invisible Soul

Invisible Soul Burning Angel

If a dog is known to be a serious danger to others, then it should be put down. That's more merciful to the dog than chaining it up forever, and prevents it from being a risk to other people's and their animal's safety.

Yep, the owner in that case sounds like a complete asshole! Shame you'd get serious jail time for killing him, but not the dog. It is a fact though that most dangerous dogs have bad owners.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

....my friend
    Pearl is near 80 and runs her farm with little help

i get free organic eggs from this woman for helping her and she is my friend...she always has a booth at the sustainable living show in my town

...she is member of rare birds canada and is currently trying to breed some chickens that are on the endangered species list...they are Hungarian reds....guess what...in Hungary they gone...finito...but there is lotsa dogs in Hungary.....i

in Canada there is aprox 600 Hungarian reds.....my friend has a trio....i rooster and 2 hens....if the rooster dies the hens arent much use to help repopulate these birds...several years work down the tubes....no fuckin tree huggers are out there helping this lady......

she is poor and often struggling to repair fences and keep up with the farm in general.......all her animals are fed organic food and well fed

...her farm is remote...down about 8k on a shitty dirt road out in sticks where i live and grow

no close neighbours....lots of wolves and bear here...they arent a problem......

it is the fishers..absolutely fearless and viscous little fuckers that kill chickens

that is why pearl has aprox 10 dogs at all times protecting her chickens....3 are loose 24 hours and protect pearl from burglars or just people in general and patrol the farmhouse and coop area..

it takes 3 loose dogs to chase the fishers into the 7 dogs that are on chains where the dogs that are on chains kill the fishers pdq...sometimes several each night.

..they are never let off the aprox 10 foot chains from the time they are puppies until they get old,die and then replaced... because that is what you do in real life on a farm

8. pinklotus

pinklotus Guest

No I dont agree with chaining dogs up for life, thats in humane and barbaric. If it is a danger then they should be put to sleep. being chained up is no life at all :(

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

so you are ok with the killing of the dogs but you are against the chaining of the dogs?.....where do you draw the line?....what exactly do say is a ''dangerous dog''.....what exactly is the criteria?.......
    people dont chain dogs for being dangerous...they chain dogs to be watch dogs ......we arent talking about those few idiots that cant handle their pets and abuse them by leaving them on a chain for no reason other than the inability to care for them....

we arent talking about dangerous dogs at all because for the most part once a dog has attacked and deemed a danger they are either put down like you said or they are adopted out to people that attempt to rehabilitate them....but during the process[here] they are caged...not chained...every spca in the country uses cages....and chains to some extent....

.not everyone has the luxury of being able to have a life that includes owning a wonderful pet dog to cuddle with on the couch in suburbia eating the eggs that my friend sells because she keeps her dogs on chains

10. lilspiritem

lilspiritem Member

Before we got our dog Lucy the previous owners kept her on a chain outside all day so when she became ours she preferred being inside we put her on a chain outside once when we were putting carpet in our house and we could tell how sad she was. I think it depends on the dog and the situation. But the next dog I get won't be put on a chain because I don't want them to be sad. Probably kind of silly but you know lol

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

rope limit..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dKfiIgZmKQ"]Foghorn Leghorn Ass Whacking Dog - YouTube

12. lil_hippie13

lil_hippie13 Guest

but why only let 3 run an the rest chained for life? why not let them all run free... my dad always had guard dogs an never let them in the house but they were never cained or caged.. not that i dont believe in them cus i have uesd both but only to a certin extent not for life... what quality of life would it be for a dog to never be able to run free.. guard dog or not... im not judgeing but just wonderin..

13. lil_hippie13

lil_hippie13 Guest

i ment to quote this oops.. im a lil loopy atm lol