Mathematics: any fans of higher-level mathematics?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by etkearne, Apr 4, 2011.

1. honour

honour Guest

@ etkearne ^^

Hi etkearne, i have studied a degree in maths in the uk. the real interesting stuff didnt happen until my third year. We did alot of what you have just mentioned, but its mostly pushing numbers and theories around trying to make them fit. the real interesting stuff was when we got to the forefront of research. most of the maths we use is like 3000, or 600 years old, the most recent stuff is quantum physics which is 100 years old. The maths i really got interested in (and still am) is fractal geometry. This is a whole new type of geomtery, changing the way we model, measure and see the world. Its the geometry of nature, its what trees use to grow, clouds and mountain ranges use to form.

It can model everything from the shape of the artieral system in your lungs, kidneys, and brain, to the shape of a spiral galaxy and the density distribution of dust and galaxies in space. Its a fascinanting subject full of pictures rather than numbers. some of which are a pretty close apporximation to nature.

It is built on set theory and algorithms, its not as hard as it sounds, and the best part is its full of psychadellic pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_snowflake
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal

just google image search fractals.

for more information check out B.Mandelbrot.

I studied fractal geomtery for my final year project, and found it amazing. The flip side is chaos thoery, which is my next port of call. As a maths, its only about 40 years old, so theres not much out there on it (a few good books) but i would fully reccommend it. O it also ties in with quantum physics, phycology, sociology etc, just about anything you can think of lol.

As far as the rest of our understadning of the universe goes ^^ i wouldnt listen too much to that. people have alot of problems with maths, i jsut worked for the last year as a maths teacher in a secondary school. scary stuff

anyway hope you check it out

2. deathbecomesme

deathbecomesme Guest

I have a maths degree. One of my lecturers was a Fields medalist. My mind has never quite been the same since lol.

3. clever-name

clever-name Member

Math is a beautiful thing.

Group theory (if I'm remembering what it is) is awesome. Defining operators and stuff really puts a different perspective on such simple things as addition, which is pretty neat.

(I've never done any math beyond undergraduate college, but did a lot there, mostly because I was lazy and it was the easiest thing for me.)

I think what this thread points out, which is interesting even though it wasn't the OPs intention, is that people have a prejudice against the subject.

I think there's two big reasons for that:

One is because of the way it is taught. Most math teachers are forced to get students to do math problems before they understand the concepts because they are evaluated based on the students' test scores. It leads to students just going through these steps without understanding what they are doing. Of course that isn't any fun. (I remember a similar feeling in an advanced chemistry class I took freshman year. I was able to finally past a test, but only by studying the steps...I really didn't understand what I was doing. That was my last chemistry class.)

The second is that I think people in general reach a ceiling in their math capacity. I know in college it happened to me. I may have done better if I wasn't smoking weed all the time... But, specifically I remember not quite getting topology. I also struggled through Graph Theory a little but almost getting it at the end. Because our minds are wired differently, I think there's just some things that are difficult or even impossible to "visualize" in your mind, which means eventually you just can't get the higher math stuff.

But, I think everyone does math all the time if they ever hear music or walk or just about anything. They may not be able to express it on paper or articulate what they are figuring out...but they are definitely doing math.

I know some people who couldn't do multiplication on paper very well, but can master difficult card games and win by understanding the deck and what cards have been played....and what their opponents are doing....calculating statistics, etc. in their mind without even realizing it.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

^actually, I just read an article relating to this a little bit. It was talking about how using the imperial system for measurements is a large part of why Americans are worse at math.

The imperial system is so illogical and arbitrary, whereas, most countries have a very mathematical system that they learn with.

5. knowthetruth

knowthetruth Guest

I went as far as calculus 1 in college but that's it. Calc was the only math class that actually got interesting to me. I think the farther u go with it the more deeper thoughts and concepts that come out.

I don't know much about quantum physics but what I do know really amazes me. Like an electron doesn't actually have a real position unless there is an observer observing it. I think this says a lot about consciousness and the universe itself. Science is onto something big here.

6. Sethvir

Sethvir Member

I'm currently in the third year of an engineering undergrad degree. There's a fair bit of maths involved but it's mostly calculus, linear algebra, and number-crunching maths, with a bit of compsci, stats, etc.
    I don't really need much of the abstract, theoretical stuff. Proving some abstract concept for the sake of proving it never really seemed all that useful to me.

I've done a bit of quantum physics, but only in the context of semiconductor physics.
    It's one of those things that people tend to get excited about and read into more than the theory itself really merits, IMO...

7. willedwill

willedwill Member

Shouldn't that be 'fare bit'?

8. Sethvir

Sethvir Member

Erm, not really.
    I meant in the sense of an ample amount, not that I'm paying for it (which I am too, I suppose).

9. trndpage2006

trndpage2006 Member

If you love math you should check out Marko Rodin, he has key in sacred Geometry,that work`s in unified theory,its a 9 base system ,he call vortex math, he invented a Cole with this math that puts out 60% more power with less wire and weight ,than any Cole its size ,he is teaching it on utube videos ,
    hes putting all his works in public domain ,because he use to work with DOD ,and knows his work could end up like Nikolai Tesla s work

10. trndpage2006

trndpage2006 Member

11. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I am very happy because tomorrow, I get my University Library resource privileges back (I have been on medical leave for a semester and unable to do research) tomorrow! The best part is that Springer, the publishing company of over 10,000 mathematics and physics books, has put their collection online as e-books viewable to graduate students. I am really excited to check the collection out tomorrow and start researching again!!

12. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Yes. Fractal Theory is very interesting. My main focus is Topology, which is another "brand-new", post-classical field of mathematics. In fact, the two areas over-lap a good amount.

Also good to see another person who has lots of University experience with mathematics.

13. trndpage2006

trndpage2006 Member

i like physics,Quinton mechanics and theoretical science ,i have good understanding of them ,but ask for a mathematical equation for it im lost,actually wish i had a better understanding of the math involved, im trying to learn some vortex math now which is based on the myna math ,it still a bass 10 system ,where 9 ,3and 6 control and 1 2 5 8 7 5 form an infinity an 0 is nothing this video can explain it better than i can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI93jeaXGvs"]Vortex Based Mathematics - Marko Rodin - YouTube

14. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Getting the mind in shape by construction. It's a sort of "masonry". The foundation determines the outcome. If the foundation has faults, the faults have to be corrected.

I always found it interesting that "proof" is a mathematical term. Such a vast, broad term.

3. (Mathematics) maths logic a sequence of steps or statements that establishes the truth of a proposition.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/proof

It seems to me that the example of all the various definitions and meanings of the word proof speaks to your red / pink example.

15. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Thanks for bumping the thread.

16. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Don't worry, the mathematicians don't escape their punishments.

[​IMG]

17. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Because math is scary.

18. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I want somebody to explain how one word has so many different definitions and uses.

gravity - Comes from Latin gravitas, from gravis, "heavy, important"—and it can apply to situations and problems as well as to people

gravity - a manner that is serious and solemn

gravity - (physics) the force of attraction between all masses in the universe

gravity - (Classical Music) lowness in pitch

I always tell people that God is a word. To compare, consider the word gravity and its multiple definitions. God is the same way .. it is a word that has endless definitions and meanings. And uses. God exists, because it is a word. Christ was word in the flesh. Should be simple enough for the whole entire world to come into understanding. Wouldn't that be gravity? If the entire conscious world all came into understanding about God. That would be some super serious gravity.

19. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I want to learn calculus one day...

20. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Weighed down. Hmm, that seems like gravity. Then they need levity, elevation. I don't think that's a math problem though. Nor is it psychiatry's problem to solve.