Mathematics: any fans of higher-level mathematics?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by etkearne, Apr 4, 2011.

1. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

I honestly don't understand what you are trying to poetically convey here. Math isn't a language that you translate. It is the same everywhere. The symbols might look different, but they are equivalent. Theoretical math is not an application of anything. It is simply there and exists without any sort of utilitarian purpose. As I have been saying, it comes with no 'strings attached.'

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

because if you fall from an airplane from without a parachute you will in most cases die

knowing how fast you are falling is not helpful; i'm guessing most people in that situation are thinking about other things

[is that a clump of trees? how do i steer this damn thing?]

thus proving that mathematics are somewhat irrelevant

[splat]

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

As long as your word integer values remain constant throughout then the substitution can be one for one. For instance if the word red always signified a particular hue of that color, you could reliably use that integer in an investigation of true or false. However if the word red also meant pink then it doesn't work. So If you are disciplined in your definitions you can illumine the solution for many abstract problems with a kind of mathematical confidence.
    You can easily spot an incorrect statement in that it's functional values are inconsistent, giving false positive readings supporting argument. The utilitarian purpose of theoretical math is to organize the contents of the mind, and therefore sharpen the creative impulses of thought, word, and deed.

hummm...

4. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

isn't that just a fancy way of saying "there is no determinable constant acceleration of a human body under the influence of a gravitational pull.... we can observe there are other factors that may or may not affect the acceleration, but we cannot determine the exact effects because we stil can't find the true value of 'g'"

or to put it another way "he was falling pretty fast, till the wind caught his parachute"

the reason it bothers me is simple... and it's quite apt that you mention gravity... mathematics cannot explain anything really.. not even how gravity works (feel free to prove me wrong)

5. etkearne

I am curious. What are all of your mathematical backgrounds? Your statements are just not the type of thing I hear often amongst the mathematicians I know.

6. SublymeStylee

SublymeStylee Member

Trying to argue that math is irrelevant based on this example is to sound like a whining high school student who doesn't want to pay attention in class. It's just not true, and a completely lazy argument. Math is relevant in nearly everything in our society, including the design of that flying airplane.

7. etkearne

Well it is clear again that my attempt to start a thread on this website that would be full of exciting and fun discussion is again weighed down by the strange attitudes possessed by a majority of the forum's members. Thanks again, guys and girls!!

8. wa bluska wica

was a math geek taking advanced classes in a very good high school until i discovered that the world was more interesting

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is me. I was always an advanced math student until a high school algebra teacher scared the shit out of me and completely turned me off to the idea of math. A wonderful college professor eventually reminded me that math should not be a scary subject to approach, but by then I was so far behind that I didn't bother to pursue any higher level mathematics.

I'm a little disappointed that I got turned off to math in high school. I've been studying physics as a hobby lately and I can understand it on a very abstract level but I would like to be able to understand the mathematical equations behind all these theories I've been reading about.

10. wa bluska wica

if i fall out of the damn thing i don't care

have spent most of my life falling out of one airplane or another

[metaphorically]

i admit that i find normal math to be quite helpful, and am glad that i can still do things in my head

11. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

that's a bit defeatist... someone on ya wavelength will post here eventually...

12. thedope

At the point I left school I was in an accelerated program, unfortunately my last year was eighth grade. So what would a conversation on theoretical math look like? Would it be carried out by trading proofs and functions?

I am a little suspicious of your idea that theoretical math has no utilitarian purpose.

13. thedope

So etkearne, Mathematicians engage in pure mathematics, or mathematics for its own sake, without having any application in mind, although practical applications for what began as pure mathematics are often discovered.
    And as I say the purpose of pure math or theoretical math is to organize the contents of the mind. In the process of doing this, organization appears, patterns develop.

14. etkearne

This thread is trashed and I no longer get anything out of it. Math is simply whatever you want to make out of it. You choose to work on application or you choose to work on theory that might yield application later on. Real mathematicians don't care about utilization potential. They are just like any artist or musician IMO. Feel free to discuss without my input, but my subscriptions page is getting too long, so this thread is gone. Bye.

15. wa bluska wica

^^^ what're the odds?

16. RobynCB90

RobynCB90 Member

I like this thread!

I really liked (even loved) math in high school. I did really well and found the logic in everything very interesting. However, when I got to university, I also wanted to understand how the universe worked, so I took physics. I did pretty well in physics, but calculus was a bitch. I'm fairly logical, but my memorization skills are mediocre. Because of that, I couldn't recall certain equations and methods in which to answer some problems.

I do like math, but since I didn't get the abstract logic, philosophy is filling that gap now for me (although now I know less than I did before...)

17. walsh

walsh Senior Member

The point wasn't that the number was wrong, but the fact a 'constant' is used at all.

18. Steve_Dave

Steve_Dave Member

I youse realife practical formulae, got some pre-cal, I know pretty lame.I can write a theorum. Formulae solving basic electrical; surface area, volume, density ect...Having used Avogadros number for molular convertion 6.0X 10 to the 23rd mostly. Gausian mathmatics for incremental calculations;ie falling speed ,atmospheric acceleration, atmospheric pressure, sea pressure, and vacuume/gravity around an event horizon ect...caption slash. Newtonian mathmatics ,kind of wavey inverse principles used on our gravitational model scale. Due to the density of the hydrogen nuclear reactor we call the Sun (size does matter) . There are huge gaps in quantum mechanics and partical physics. We are all just complex particals in a dust cloud !!! the macro and the microcosm. Question ?...If energy=masses constant squared and time and space are interchangeable whould not time-space-energy be interchangeable? life is a variable.I look up the formulas.....

19. walsh

walsh Senior Member

I was kidding if it makes you feel better. :sunny:

20. Steve_Dave

Steve_Dave Member

A black hole is suposed to be the perfect theoretical enige emitting no heat. On earth our best engines emmit 25% energy transferal as heat.Black holes funtioning as kind of a 4-STROKE(suck ,sqweeze,bang,blow)universal yin...a pull absorbing the expansion.The universe may not just be expanding and getting larger thus time is eccelerating inversley considering Einstien theorized you would have to surpass the speed of light consequently shrinking due to future expansion just to move forward in time faster than our current rate. Do the number/sizes of black wholes control space/time paradox? ...How and how/why is our sun cycle is effected and to a degree our schumann hz field and not valence of particle bonds and electron shells?...are parallel universes to be affected aswell? Would this eventualy change our existense in this universe weather or not the human race survive. Could the same time-space particals exist at the same time on different planes? All unanswered questions ,or am I just high?