Alcohol ''comedown''?

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by Shivaya, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Shivaya

Shivaya Y'a rien de trop beau pour la classe ouvrière.

OK. At first I thought I was suffering from chronic, really short term 1 or 2 day depressions, but now I'm starting to notice a pattern here...

It seems like these short depressions and heavy drinking go hand in hand (doesnt really happen if I smoke pot while I'm drinking)

Anyone else get depressed after a night of heavy drinkin?

2. sentastorm

sentastorm Member

Yep That's why I don't drink now . it just knocks me a round too much.

3. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

For me it's the other way around. I get depressed and sleep becomes something impossible, so I get drunk and pass out. I don't do this all the time, though.

4. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Yes, alcohol is a downer. It's a known fact that alcohol can induce depression, usually short term.

5. sentastorm

sentastorm Member

yep its nasty

6. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

its part of a hangover.

I get anxious and shaky as opposed to depressed..that and angry...I feel very angry when I'm hungover

7. Shivaya

well then maybe next time I wont be so depressed about being depressed if I know its the sauce!

8. lunarverse

Alcohol can also cause your body to release its adrenaline stores, causing shakiness and anxiousness.

9. Shivaya

I know this nis a double standard, but Alcohol is a terrible drug. Probably one of the worse.

10. lunarverse

Why is that a double standard to point out? It's a fact.

11. Shivaya

Maybe double standard isnt really needed here. I just meant I'm talking against alcohol but I'm drinking it anyways.

12. Hardrockerdave94

Hardrockerdave94 Member

I don't really get that, obviously if I've got a hangover I'll feel like shit for a few hours in the morning, but I don't really feel down, maybe it's because I drink fairly regularily - about 4 times a week.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I always feel pretty happy the day after drinking. I don't know why. No matter how shitty I feel from the hangover, I also feel like I've popped a few happy pills. Sometimes I think it takes my body a really long time to process alcohol so the happy feeling comes from still being a little bit drunk.

14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah alcohol causes me kind of a down clouded head almost without fail the day after heavy drinking.

Hangover's occur occasionally and Delerium Tremens I've got on a few occasions as well.

15. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Ehh it CAN happen. After drinking I generally wake up optimistically depressed, if that makes sense.

16. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

I try to sleep through mine, and take every precaution to avoid the next-day hangover (fatty, carby food for dinner, water between drinks, tylenol before bed with a tall glass of water and a fatty, carby snack), which usually works, but takes more preparation than it is worth. So I just don't drink much. I hate feeling like shit more than I like getting drunk...

17. Shivaya

I guess it kinda depends on your mindset in general. When I'm loving life in general, I can party and have a good time, and the next day really isn't that bad. But if I'm already ''kinda'' feeling shitty or a little depressed because of one situation or another in my life, I drink at night and feel better, but usually in the morning all hell breaks loose.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

case in point, i got way too wasted last night, got in a huge fight with a friend, made an ass of myself, tried to walk 10 miles home, ended up crying hysterically in the street for an hour. And today I feel wonderful. Thats so backasswards.

just to let you know when tylenol mixes with alcohol it forms a toxin that the liver doesn't process very well. Take ibuprofen or aspirin instead!

Tylenol is really horrible for your liver period, actually.

19. beatlebug

beatlebug Member

That's the tater juice sis. I get the same symptoms.

20. The Chinaman

The Chinaman Member

For me it's terrible anxiety that seems to build and wash over me in waves, coupled with depression and a feeling in my stomach which I can only describe as resmbling a solid ball of raw dread. All this accompanied by morbid thoughts about how I'm going to die, have I been the best person I can be to my family/friends? Generally thoughts that may occur from time to time when enduring a booze "comedown" become debilitatingly obsessive.

This feeling is common in heavy drinkers and (at least where I'm from) is known as The Fear. Not all drinkers suffer with it, but for those that do it only gets worse as you get older. It can take me up to 5 days to recover from a binge and it really does mess me up to the point where leaving the house is simply not an option. Weirdly though I'm not at all prone to suffering the physical aspects of a hangover.

There's a physical cause for all these symptoms & I'll post links, but I'm fairly pressed for time at the mo. Cheers everyone.