Gia

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by Shale, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Shale

Shale ~

I just watched a DVD of Gia, a 1998 biopic of Gia Carangi, often referred to as America's first supermodel. While not purely a documentary, it was based on Gia's own journals and input from family and friends.

Starring was Angelina Jolie as this disturbed, beautiful but somewhat butch young woman who made her mark in NY in the 1970s and did the clubbing and drugs and other beautiful women. While I am not into the fashion industry, I do appreciate beautiful ppl and fotografy. It was a typical tragic story, where the rapid rise in fame and fortune for a young performer ends up in drugs and ruin.

Jolie got a Golden Globe for her performance and I think someone as crazy wild as her was about the best casting choice for this role.

Angelina Jolie as Gia - 1998
    [​IMG]

Angelina as Butch Gia
    [​IMG]

The real Gia Carangi foto by Francesco Scavullo
    [​IMG]

After looking up this foto, I am quite smitten by this image. I know it is only partly the young woman and partly Scavullo (I have an equally beautiful foto of a young man done by a great fotografo). But this lets me see how Gia would have seduced those around her.

2. sixties_freak

sixties_freak Member

Gia was such an ultimate femme
    fatale.Kind of sexy really, the
    way she combined beauty
    and decadence.
    Edie sedgwick was very much the same, but in the 1960's.
    Another destructive beauty.

3. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I saw this movie several years ago. :2thumbsup:
    Jolie gave an awesome performance (IMO). But I remember feeling very sad that Gia's life ended in such a tragic way.

Yeah, there's a movie about Edie (Factory Girl), but most critics gave it a bad rating. Still, I'd like to see it on DVD...

QP

4. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix, angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night…

- Allen Ginsberg

Fantastic piece of writing!!

5. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

I saw this one on cable years ago. Great movie and great performance by Angelina Jolie. Off topic, how've ya been Shale.:sunny:

6. Shale

Shale ~

OH, OK. Just going to work then catching a couple movies on the weekends. Haven't been to the beach in a while, either too many clouds or too many movies.