And what will you do with your degree?

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by motherwillow72, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i'm going back to school this fall actually. I plan to stay in school as long as I possibly can manage to both work and support myself and keep up with my studies.

2. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

that sounds like a plan. You can do it!

Regards
    Gyro

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

This thread fails to deliver.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

its not the softest toilet tissue. but it works......

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I graduated with an AA,(in general studies) graduated magna cum laude...then went on and graduated with a BS in psychology, minored in special ed, graduated magna cum laude. Worked for the state for 13 yrs, and resigned...would've been either dead or some kind of holic had I kept on with that.

Now I flip burgers.

Yet, I would not go back and change those years for anything. I learned a LOT more during those yrs. than what was between the pages of a book.

Each person has to follow their own bliss...as trite as that sounds.
    I'm just one of those people that will always love school...flipping burgers or not, I'm still learning.

6. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

pfft. I haven't even declared a major yet. my passion is music, but a more realistic application of my debt (not to mention my other academic talents) would be to load up on more math and get a BS in engineering.

I always thought it funny how science majors have a BS degree and English majors do not rofl

7. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Because English is an art, and not a science; therefore, they get a Bachelor's of Arts, not the BS.

8. Sitka

Sitka viajera

I teach.

9. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

It's actually not that simple. I'm getting a four-year degree in Biomedical science, but it will be a B.A. because I did not do a senior research project. The way it was explained to me is that a B.S. is more for practical experience, where the B.A. is for the philosophies and book knowledge behind it with more elective courses. It's good enough to get me into a lab, then who knows from there, but I'm happy enough to start small. I'm so fucking sick of school I could puke. I find it unlikely that I will ever tire of being a tech, but if I do, all I have to do is get a job at a university hospital or research center and they'll pay for my grad schooling. That's the upside of a science career. There's always opportunity to expand your horizons just because of the changeable nature of the field.

10. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

When I get my MS in Mathematics, I will work as a Lecturer/Instructor at a large university. It pays quite well. I would essentially teach large groups of students with the more basic math courses, up through Calculus III (Vector/Multivariate). I am hoping to simply work at the university I am working for in my Master's program.

11. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

I think I should clarify what I meant by "BS degree" by quoting Avenue Q:
    "what do ya do with a BA in english?
    what is my life going to be?
    four years of college, and plenty of knowledge
    have earned me this useless degree." not my words, so don't yell at me.

12. binsky

binsky Guest

Two more classes before I get a B.S. degree in Information Systems. I have no interest in the field. Don't know why I chose this to major in. I'm just finishing the classes so I won't completely have wasted the tuition money... at least I'll have a degree, for whatever it's worth.

13. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

Haaaaaaaa, see that? All this work and I'm still slow. :D

14. Annovie

Annovie Member

University opens your eyes to the world. Makes you become able of judging things objectively, not just from "but mom said". It gives you independency and opportunity. A person must choose not only the degree what they like, but also what is needed in the market or society you live in. That gives you a bigger chance of success and therefore a happier future with a purpose, when you know you are needed somewhere. There is no point of choosing an art degree if you know you will never be the best in what you do. Artists don't make money if they are not especially outstanding. I am doing a hospitality management degree and I love it. I chose it, because I learnt how to love it and figured that the always growing tourism industry will let me succeed. There are courses that I dislike, BUT..I must pass those in order to achieve a degree, then I'm going for master's degree or two and then I will have a chance to differentiate myself a little from the rest of the crowd. Your ''free-minded thinking and fighting for freedom'' will not get you far if you don't see the big picture. What matters these days is to build a cv that will get you places. You might not like it, but it's the truth.

Education will let you get to the place you want to be in your life.