Boycott Subway

Discussion in 'Boycott' started by TheTruthAndPeaceSeeker, Feb 13, 2011.

1. TheTruthAndPeaceSeeker

TheTruthAndPeaceSeeker Member

Hello, I am boycotting Subway at Subway in my town they will not give "dead bread" out, they just simply throw it away. I am a regular customer and if your subway does the same we should boycott them together. A business exist to help the community not fuck them over. Subway always seemed like a good business but after this I am no longer buying from them again.

2. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

i've never eaten at a subway but understand they suck

the guy who owns the subway here got an award for beautifying the town - by opening a subway

this after a career of buying tax-delinquent historical buildings in poor repair, stripping them of valuables [architectural details, etc.], and then blowing off the taxes himself, leaving the city to foot the bill [again]

is there a subway ethos?

3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

our food bank will only take bread if it is properly packaged to give out...the logistics of storing dozens of bread rolls is not worth it...people like me that frequent the foodbank do not want 'throw aways'' from a crappy sub joint...dont know about the churchs in the area because the community dinners that they throw are gawd awful and a ruse to get me to go into a church...its a nice thought but not workable where i live

4. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

I have only been there once or twice but didn't see what is so good about them.

5. wa bluska wica

maybe this is less in regards to food banks, which have rules of a sort, than it is about freeganism

some cafes and whatnot give leftover food out after closing

others lock the bins

6. odon

odon Slightly Popular

I hope you never wish to open a business as every bank you went to for a loan would laugh in your face. A business is there to make a profit. The end. Have you ever heard the phrase; "It ain't personal, it's business"?

7. odon

odon Slightly Popular

Imho, a better reason to boycott them would be for their image they promote as a healthier option when they are sometimes worse than having a big mac and fries.
    You'd really have to boycott every business you bought food from as I highly doubt any give away their "dead bread".

8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

freeganism?...is that like dumpster diving?

9. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

why do you people always wanna boycott stuff

10. TheTruthAndPeaceSeeker

TheTruthAndPeaceSeeker Member

I understand that almost every business exist to make a profit but it should also help the community even if its just giving away bread they are going to throw away.
    What do you mean "you people"? and the reason behind boycotting goods is so they don't contribute to the business that is the reasoning behind boycotting.

11. odon

odon Slightly Popular

You were a little more militant about it earlier:
    "A business exist to help the community not fuck them over."
    I'm sure there is a very dull reason relating to health and safety why Subway (or any food outlet) can't (or decides not to) give away their old bread/food.
    I know companies used to do it here and then they had to or they did stop...I'm not 100% sure.
    If a homeless person became sick...guess what a majority of them would do?
    Sue the ass of Subway.
    To be fair, why should they do anything for anybody/business other than sell their food?
    Charity is charity business is business.
    I hear what you are saying, but I don't think anybody should be forced into complying with another persons values/morals.
    For that reason, on this occasion, for this cause, I won't be boycotting them.

I just found this:

LOS ANGELES CALIF. – —– On Tuesday, December 22, 2009 Volunteers from Los Angeles-area SUBWAY restaurants will once again work with the Union Rescue Mission in down town Los Angeles to serve a meal and help brighten the lives of men, women and children experiencing homelessness during the Holiday Season.
    For the 13th consecutive year, Subway volunteers will prepare and serve ham and turkey sandwiches for the homeless on skid row in Los Angeles. The annual Subway volunteer effort serves approximately 2, 000 meals. To date, Subway volunteers have served over 25,000 meals during this annual giving event. This year’s Subway volunteer meal service will take place on Tuesday, December 22nd at the Union Rescue Mission. Preparations begin at 9:00 a.m. with meals served from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

In addition to the annual volunteer meal service, Los Angeles-area Subway store owners conducted a fundraiser and collected over $16,000 to benefit the Union Rescue Mission’s annual toy program for underprivileged children. Approximately 1,000 families will be invited to shop for Free toys and gifts for their children at the Missions 18th Annual Christmas Store. The (URM) Christmas Store is open to participants in the Mission’s programs as well as to a select group of organizations helping people who are experiencing homelessness and poverty in the Skid Row community.

I'm sure there are many e.g's of this all over the world.

Is that better, are they forgiven?
    So they throw a bit of bread away...on balance I think they might do enough for others.

Go visit your local ma and pa store and ask what they do for the local community or for charity...

Like I said, I think there are better reasons to boycott Subway...this one seems a little, mmm, childish. But, that's just my humble opinion.

12. wa bluska wica

yep

where i am the best sources are the health department that deals in day old breads and baked goods, and the food bank which, when not actually open, leaves around older perishables for the taking

the supermarket dumpsters are generally disappointing and the employees have been trained to be pests

ymmv

13. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

Not the organic ones ;)

I agree with you 100% OP, if they're just throwing it out why not? I would say I'd join in this boycott but subway sucks to begin with so I never go there. Quiznos, now THAT'S a sub shop! I'm also currently boycotting quiznos because they wont let me in without shoes on :p

So just steal it and give it away yourself. If you don't like the rules, live above them

14. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

ohoho :rolleyes:

15. wa bluska wica

i was specifically referring to where i live

the organic co-op is very small and does not throw out much at all, in fact, when they do, they usually just give it to me or one of the other volunteers

16. Kada

Kada Member

If they give it out to someone and someone gets sick they get sued. its sad but true. here you go, i will feed your family with our leftovers.

and the next week as a thank you from the family they get sued for 5 million.

boycotting a subway wont hit the problem. the problem is more likely the societies will to get anything for free and immediately fuck anyone that needs fucking to get ahead. buyer beware is not an issue anymore.

i bet if subway could not be held responsible for anything it discards it would gladly give it away. but our society is too cold and heartless...rich and poor....to allow a community to grow together.

its the same scenario when people get sued by people that hurt themselves trespassing on the peoples land. logic has gone the way of the Dodo

17. broony

broony Banned

If any company says their product is "fresh" that is usually and indicator that its not. Everything should be fresh regardless of where it comes from, you don't need to tell us that.

Plus nobody can make a sandwich as good as i can for myself. So ill keep it that way.

18. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Member

In Australia, we very rarely have any problems whatsoever with Subway, tbh.

19. originallymasked

originallymasked Member

I do believe nearly every company wastes perfectly good food, I worked at Safeway (its a grocery store) for a few months, and you wouldn't believe the amount of food they threw away! Apparently they weren't aloud to give it out to the many homeless that lived in the area, I have no clue why... Legal issues? But what homeless person would sue for getting FREE stale bread? :D doesnt make sense...

20. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

I like subway. I like soft warm bread :) I have also worked at a shop like safeway in the past...togos. we would secretly give homelss things after work. we were told to throw away things that were not good enough to sell. still good enough to eat. ther are reasons they have for these policies. maybe you should look deeper into why before boycotting. they have their reasons too. the grocery store wont give me free groceries but I dont boycot them...