• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 slappyman

slappyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 09:38 AM

I know that we have a variety of people on this forum and I'm hoping that I can get an answer to a question that popped into my head last night.

What happens if you are collecting disability from the Federal Government and you apply for and receive a medical marijuana card in a state where it is legal?

I've heard that you automatically lose your benefits. I find this hard to swallow as if I remember reading correctly that the VA is going to start letting vets use cannabis for treatment of PTSD.

Can somebody that is in this situation enlighten me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

#2 skip

skip

If you don't know me by now...

• Administrators
  • 11,762 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted February 12 2011 - 09:46 AM

One thing has nothing to do with the other. States regulate medical marijuana, not the Feds, so they have no way of knowing whether you're a mmj patient or not. The only issue that comes close is the VA one, and now that mmj is legal in D.C. they'll have a hard time stopping vets from using it. It's the perfect medicine for PTSD.

Check out my Travel Journal!

#3 slappyman

slappyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted February 12 2011 - 10:23 AM

I'm happy for the citizens of D.C. they've been waiting a long time. I do have a hard time trying to figure out how Congress can decide that it's OK for the citizens of the district but not for the rest of us. There is a bill H.R.2835 that's been stuck in commitee since 2009 that would make Medical Marijuana legal at the Federal level depending on state law of course.

Edit: H.R. 2835 has ceased to be.

Edited by slappyman, February 12 2011 - 10:27 AM.
Add information

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

#4 necradawn

necradawn

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted February 21 2011 - 02:50 PM

Recently i have been considering getting my medicinal marijuana papers signed. I live in Canada and I am not clear on what I can and can not do with the medicinal marijuana (such as how much i can grow and carry on me at once)

#5 Emptybreath

Emptybreath

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • 1,504 posts

Posted February 21 2011 - 02:55 PM

I'm on Social Security Disability and have my medical marijuana card and there is no loss of benefits for me.
When you see a new trail or a footprint you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing. -Uncheedah- Santee Sioux

#6 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,353 posts
  • LocationSquirrel Hill Penisylvania

Posted February 21 2011 - 02:56 PM

my friend is in the Va hospital. I took him some weed yesterday..
sadly he smokes more tobacco though... not to change the subject..

gallery_104271_3566_1407144088_104887.jp

I saw a bird walkin down the block
Name Apache Rose Peacock
I could not speak I was in shock
I told my knees to please not knock

#7 Prague

Prague

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted November 23 2011 - 08:29 PM

I just moved to Washington State and want to get my medical marijuana card. It is the only thing that really helps symptoms.

I am on social security disability and am worried that if they find out I will lose my benefits.

I've heard opinions back and forth but has anyone actually dealt with social security about this? Talked to a lawyer or someone at Social Security?

I'm really nervous.

Thanks

#8 Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood

Senior Moment

• 12,640 posts
  • LocationThe Woods

Posted November 24 2011 - 06:29 AM

The Feds can't seem to get their heads out of their ass on this issue...... Maybe talk to a lawyer but don't even mention it to someone at Social Security.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

"there was something big happening that night, decisions were made and destiny was cast..."~jfw~

~ I chop wood, I carry water, I tend the Earth, This is my prayer. ~