Separation of church and state?

Discussion in 'Nudism, Naturism' started by groovecookie, Jan 27, 2011.

1. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

Does anyone have any idea why public nudity and indecent exposure laws are not considered separation of church and state issues?

Maybe they are in some circles, but when I do a google search with "separation of church and state", nothing comes up regarding nudity.

I really don't understand that because I though the whole idea of it was keeping religious laws restricted to religious institutions.

2. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

This is widely misunderstood. The entirety of the idea is contained in the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution
    So, for instance, if the government orders a nativity scene to be removed from public property at Christmas, that is unconstitutional since it had nothing to do with any law that establishes religion and further, it prohibits the free exercise of religion.

On the other hand, if the government passes a law against nudity, that is also unconstitutional if you consider the whole idea to be an establishment of a religious idea. The problem is that the courts haven't usually looked at it that way.

3. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

That's what my feeling was. I guess I was thinking maybe there was some legal loophole justification for such laws that use some bizarre rationale regarding public health or sanitation or some such.

I think you almost have to be an atheist to really appreciate what an outrage it is that people who don't believe in a god should be forced to practice body shame in public.

4. nldn

nldn Senior Member

The two are unrelated. There are plenty of Christians who are happy to swim or sunbathe naked such as in Germany and see no connection at all.

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

How does this become a separation of church from state issue to begin with? If you wanna run around your home naked, do it. If the pigs don't like it, fuck'em. Your home & your right.

6. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

Ok, let me spell it out.. (and I'm talking strictly about America and other countries that don't allow public nudity)..if you walk out on the street naked or go to a public beach to take off your clothes, there is a good chance you will be arrested.

Why? Because whatever country you are in that doesn't allow public nudity is dominated by some religion that prohibits nudity. Why else would it be illegal?

I

7. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

No no, it's capitalism, man.

Imagine all the cash that's made by people who make clothes and sell clothes. Think they'll let anyone go around without buying their stuff? Forget this religion business, it's all about getting your money.

8. Logan 5

Dude, they are trying to be "morality police". Failing to recognize that before they start telling you and I what is right or wrong, they must first recognize it in themselves, first, and strive to change that. But they won't.

9. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

Does anyone know of any place online I can get info on the history of nudist activism and any cases that have gone to court? I'd like to educate myself on all the different things that have been tried and what happened as a result.

I want to be an activist myself, but I want to be an effective activist who has done his homework on the subject.

10. ganesha1967

ganesha1967 barefoot bellybearer

11. Logan 5

Find Law and Lexis Nexis has some good stuff on it. You just have to spend the time and hunt around.

(slapping my own naked butt....)

12. groovecookie

groovecookie Member

Thanks, y'all. I'll check it out.