Moving to New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by ry4nn00b, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ry4nn00b

ry4nn00b Member

Hey there. My family is moving to New Zealand this fall and I was wondering if the kind members of this forum would help me out with some details. I'll be 18 and possibly going to school (though that isn''t necessary). I'm curious as to which cities are more suited to my tastes. I'm a musician, so I want to be in an area with an active music scene. I also enjoy smoking weed so it would be nice to know which areas are most stoner friendly. Thanks.

2. ry4nn00b

ry4nn00b Member

I've heard that Auckland has a pretty big sprawl, and that the congestion is pretty bad at times. How much truth is there to this?

3. Arlandis

Arlandis Visitor

Its true, but depending if you come from a city of 1,000,000+ you may be used to it.

Go to Wellington.

4. ry4nn00b

ry4nn00b Member

Why Wellington?

5. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

Lots of people smoke weed here so no problem there.
    Wellington is a cool city, there is lots of art/music there, people playing music in the streets etc. that being said most international music gigs only play in Auckland because its the biggest city (1.4 million ppl)
    Im an Aucklander and can tell you that its very culturally diverse, Its also very spread out. I live in the north of Auckland and almost never go to south or east Auckland, depending on where you live in Auckland it can be fantastic or shit. The traffic problems are awfull, almost to the level that it is unacceptable, roadworks that would take a couple of months in say America, take years to get completed here. The congestion is the only real problem we have here, I have a car and manage to travel mostly hassle free tho. Overall its a pretty nice place to live, nice weather, low crime levels etc.

Dont expect it to be as clean and green as you may hear about.
    If your looking for lord of the rings scenery you have to go to the south island.

6. Formerly_Frog_On_Ice

Formerly_Frog_On_Ice Guest

I would say Wellington too rated highly, Aucklands great but Wellington is more chilled. Christchurch was pretty awesome too but has a few problems due to a few little shakes ☺ best wishes whatever you choose ☺

7. A.KCCITYCUZZI

A.KCCITYCUZZI Guest

take it from someone who live's in a.k city

if you cant handle heaps of people and heaps of drama... this isnt the place for you.
    try find somewhere where its laid bacc

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Should have come to Australia, it's like, right there...

Bad move.

9. MissCyanide

MissCyanide Member

I live in Auckland, it's pretty good in terms of nightlife I know a few stoners around my area, there are stoners all over the place though. If you want a nice laid back secluded place to live then you'd be better in the South Island. North Island is a more urban area, still great landscape though.