Music Theory

Discussion in 'Free School' started by neodude1212, Jan 18, 2011.

1. CapandGown

CapandGown Member

That was a pretty good break down and introduction to reading music. I can read music fluently so I can't tell what a novice thinks of it, but I honestly think that if you continue, it will be able to teach others to read music.

2. ~xR*Z*Nx~

~xR*Z*Nx~ Member

Thanks for the class, I am interested in learning more. I already have a basic understanding of reading music. I am more interested in composition. Will you be providing lessons on that? In so far as, the structure of sound, and how to combine the vibrations into something solid and pleasing -- or whatever; that is, how to use a knowledge of the musical language for self expression ?

3. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

I dunno.
    Music is pretty varied.
    If you want to use sound as a means of expression, then go ahead, you don't need anyone to teach you how to do that.
    If you are interested in a structured approach though, then I guess it depends on what type of music you are wanting to compose. One person could say a bunch of different things about composition, depending on what style they were speaking of composing in. I know I originally stated I was considering doing some lessons on composition, but "composition" is such a nebulous word in terms of music as a whole. In what genre were you primarily wanting to compose in?

4. ~xR*Z*Nx~

~xR*Z*Nx~ Member

I already express my self through music, I would just be interested in a greater understanding of how the sounds themselves work.... the geometry of it is what I am really interested in... tones are vibrations, they all have form, a geometry, I want to gain a knowledge of the ... form, that vibrations create. and how to combine them into a structure... I mean these are all things I could come to an intuitive knowing of within my self and I am not sure any class will ever teach me, but I think some ''scientific'' knowledge could assist me or come to practical use, sorry you are probably not intending to be what I am looking for... I don't say ''genres'' really, sound is self-expression to me, but for instance, ok here is more specifically what I am getting at: I want to be able to express my self in a way where, I can hear what I am going to play before I play it, it would be cool to be able to play everything that is in my mind... instead of playing from a physical perspective, that is, right now, I self-express on instruments where I go with the flow of what is my body feeling, with total ignorance of what it is going to 'sound' like, because i am not working with sounds but the physical feeling of touching the instrument... i want to expand into a place where i can go with the flow of what i am hearing in my mind and be able to flow that through an instrument. maybe i should be in a class for a specific instrument, then?

5. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

Study scales.
    That is all.

6. ~xR*Z*Nx~

~xR*Z*Nx~ Member

Cool thanks. will u be covering scales in this class?

7. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

and intervals?
    peace
    Delfynasa

8. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

yeah scales are vital to both music theory and composition. its the whole thing pretty much!

items of study can include:
    -how to read music (if you don't already know)
    -time signatures (if you don't already know)
    -key signatures
    -all 7 major scales
    -all minor scales (theres 7 too right?)
    -the difference between them and how it affects composition. (this relies on some self-educating)
    -chords; major, minor, augmented, etc.
    -chord progression
    -articulation. staccato, legato, slur, etc.

9. lightgrenade

lightgrenade Member

i would love to learn :)

10. angelina1104

angelina1104 Guest

wow can't believe their are people willing to give free lessons on here. Just stumbled across this music one. Have wanted to learn music my whole life and will be picking up a piano in a couple of weeks - can't wait! Will be heading back on hear to read what people have put :)

11. rambleON

rambleON Coup

neo do you compose or make music ? I'd be interested in more lessons. post more

12. Celtic Hippie

Celtic Hippie Member

I'm jumping on too! Thanks!

13. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

with the seven scales and the knowledge of application to alter key

one needs not know too much more to write a good song.

it becomes then a case of joining the dots when it comes to what notes are played where.

but once you have finally grasped the theory - they teach you pitch axis

and you realise you could play pretty anything after all :frown:

14. funktastic

funktastic Senior Member

ive read about Satriani's pitch axis theory ... gotta be honest with you... unneeded...

when your playing in a key, its not like your trapped in it... you can always go outside with notes out of the scale to add dissonance and tension ... which gives a nice and tasty feel

(the classic) 'scales' only guide which notes to play,

i guess that it was Frank Zappa that said something like

''notes out of scale are like villains on music, and if you play all straight and beautifully in the scale, to me its like watching a movie with only good guys, no villains, and that is a boring movie''

and remember that all the modes only apply to classic western music theory, which in my view, is quite untasty ...

...i really like those exotic scales, not because theyre exotic, but because they have a wider range of intervals than classic modes, which has a nice feel...

you see all the modes only have either a minor or a major sceond, now you take for example the minor blues scale (a quite 'unclassic' scale)...

C D# F F# G A# C

it goes up with a minor third, then a major second, then two minor seconds and another minor third... if you ever have the chance jam a little with it and you'll see the awesome sound it has

so what i meant here was... study all classical modes? sure!
    but dont stick to them, open your mind, learn different scales, play out of key and use all the 12 notes!

if you go all classic the only things youll be able to play is classical music and neoclassical shred guitar ...

if you wanna a funky, a bluesy or simply a different feel to your music ... remember classical music theory barely applies to these

2 people like this.
  15. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Good stuff funktastic, (anyone who quotes Zappa is 'allreet' in my book.)

Just remember folks, you don't have to drink the ocean just to swim in it.

All music theory is concieved in retrospect anyway...

ZW

16. bluegypsyrain

bluegypsyrain Member

Absolutely interested in music theory (or anything else to do with music, for that matter)!

17. tutu96

tutu96 Member

Please!

18. syndrella

syndrella Guest

I will like to learn music theory .I would certainly be interested in that!

dainik bhasker

19. erizoe

erizoe Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8 Check this out for a good quick lesson

1 person likes this.
  20. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

Pitch axis seems to be just the same as chord scales. When I took jazz theory I, we just called it modes.