Peak oil

Discussion in 'The Future' started by broony, Jan 12, 2011.

1. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

The powers that be(in this case namely OPEC) have practical reasons for not increasing production. Oil, like all other important materials can rise in price, and there is a level of price rising that while people at the pump and heating their homes with grumble about, won't effect the global economy in any serious negative way. And when say 85% of your country's export earnings are oil, well you do the math.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

every geological resource is finite. when it becomes more expensive to extract the increasingly more difficult to extract remainder, then can be profited from doing so, it is said to have become depleted.

this is even true of gold, which is still there in the ground. it just happens to be under a LOT of other, less valuable, plain old (mostly Si-O2) rock.

the sooner we become less dependent on the use of combustion in any form, the better it will be for all of us, in terms much more real and meaningful for every day life, then the movement of little green pieces of paper.

technology will NOT die without it.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

So, who's ready for their EV conversion?

I predict my engine will go tits up in time for a rebuild, and the rebuild will go tits up just as oil gets REALLY bad and the car's not worth putting a new engine in, at which point I'll grab me some batteries and an electric motor, and a generator if it will fit.... or maybe some solar cells on the roof, charge in a parkinglot ;)

Then again if the world drove like me, we'd have thousands of years of oil left, at the LEAST. Get bike, fuckers!

4. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

peak oil was 2006 according to international energy agency.

also interesting to note that syria has most definitely hit peak oil. by this year, and no later than next year, syria will be an importer of oil. that's significant because here's a country that is going from supplying global demand, to demanding global supply. just think about that.

i dont think boosting domestic production will make gas any cheaper in the united states. the politicians who push for it have vested interests. take canada as an example. they produce and export substantial quantities of oil yet canadians are paying over 5 u.s. dollars a gallon...

5. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

6. *nan*

*nan* Guest

Plastics can be made from biomass or keratin (beware the last option)

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Biodegradable-Plastic-Made-of-Feathers-50769.shtml

electric bike::
    http://www.e-bikekit.com/

Compressed air vehicles:
    http://www.regusciair.com/

There are lots of links about this subject in facebook, but some admin insists in deleting my posts with links there. Skip told me that "most likely your thread was deleted due to so many links to facebook. We don't encourage ppl to go there as it is a CIA project" , so if you have an account in the cia's baby use the searcher for "solar powered car" in the groups, or in pages search for "solar vehicle team" and you will get a lot of Universitys racing for solar vehicles performance.

I don't believe running out of oil would be a problem. On the contrary, I believe that if that happen power will not belong to those that control oil storing, but to those who have the tech to do it. The solution would be in open sustainable technology, open like in open source.

7. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

8. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

As far as I can tell, the use of fire is our one giant technological leap. Chemistry, metallurgy, etc. all come from there and I don't know how to get around the fact of the combustion of metabolism.

9. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

metallurgy, yea :)

10. The Shoemaker

The Shoemaker Member

I have yes, and it's VERY informational. I actually gave it to several of my teachers when I was in high school. The way the guy does things now is actually very very smart. I'm not going to end up spoiling the film for anyone, but everyone should seriously watch this film.

11. mayb2l8

mayb2l8 Member

Recommend informative non-fiction by Michal Ruppert, 'Crossing he Rubicon'. It's full of researched information and he's the major contributor to the documentary "Collapse". I've read different sections of interest. Very very cool factual info.

12. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

13. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I'm at the point where I'm starting to think we're better off if the masses believe peak oil is a conspiracy. By 'we' I mean people who know otherwise. Let people think it's limitless abiotic goo right until the end. Gives me more time to prepare and we can enjoy somewhat of an extended economy. Only thing is the collapse will be harder and faster when it does happen.

14. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Might be the only incentive to actually developing alternative energy is to just burn through all the oil until its gone. That is if the environment doesn't collapse first...:confused:

ZW

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

it was a useful stage in our development. but we have reached a point now, with current population levels, where using it when other and better means exist, (as they do for generating energy and propelling transportation) is resulting in more harm then benefit.

16. mayb2l8

mayb2l8 Member

yes - also a quite good but lengthy read "crossing the rubicon" by Rupert