Peak oil

Discussion in 'The Future' started by broony, Jan 12, 2011.

1. broony

broony Banned

I have heard a few arguments saying we have already hit peak oil. Others have said not for a few more decades.

I've read a few articles on it and just recently watched the film Collapse.
    http://www.collapsemovie.com/reviews.html

I'm becoming more and more convinced that oil is going to get very expensive world wide, at an alarming rate.

Everything is made out of oil, cellphones, you'r computer. Transportation would not exist. Its real scary to think of the consequences if we were to run dry.

http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

?

2. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

global demand up 2.5 million barrels a day from one year ago.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yes, it would make sense to conserve it for the things that matter.

But.... nah, it's easier to burn it to get cheap shit made out of it to walmart for you to take home by burning more of it and then break and send to a landfil, burning even more on the way. Gets some people richer than doing the right thing.

4. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

yeah they've been saying we've hit peak oil for a while now, but society barely even knows what a solid fact is anymore. people'll only do something when the problems right in their face

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

The problem really isn't so much of running out of oil so much as it is running out of oil that's cheap to extract out of the ground. Even if we have reached peak oil, doesn't mean oil is going to run out tomorrow. Even with only current known reserves, adjusted for rising demand, we have a good 30-40 years of relatively affordable oil left. God only knows where technology will be in 40 years.

6. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

*Cough*

7. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Bless you

8. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

Peak oil means that we cannot increase the production to meet our demands any further. So yes it looks rather like oil is going to get more expensive, which doesn't please car owners.

Our lovely new government as usual have their priorities right, David **** has said that they will give tax breaks in order to try and keep the price down.

Meanwhile all the rest of us have to bear the brunt of rising costs for public transport and a 2.5% increase in VAT.

I am probably going to buy a new bicycle this year, but guess what no tax break for me. I have to subsidise the cost of petrol for motorists.

Oh, and this as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUmwy0VTnqM"]YouTube - Peak Oil and a Changing Climate

9. broony

broony Banned

Just curious if anyone here has seen the documentary collapse?

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

is that really someone's name??

11. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I heard a very self assured man say that there is plenty of oil. That is all I need to know. No worries here.

12. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

World oil production hit an all time high 6 years ago. If it doesn't exceed that soon look for much higher oil prices. It's simple supply and demand.

13. broony

broony Banned

So nobody here thinks that the demand for oil is less than what the supply is?

14. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

LOL no, but it should be! His name is David Cameron.

15. adforester

adforester Member

peak oil is a myth.

As our technologies for finding oil and extracting it become more advanced these "peak oil experts" are raising the year they predict peak oil will happen. Once thought peak oil would be in the 70's then 90's then in the 2,000's. Environmentalists are not with the times, trust me i'm one of them

16. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It's not a myth - just that as they discover more bits and pieces here and there, and people/industries reduce their usage then the 'peak' date will recede further into the future; but the amount of oil, like all fossil fuels is finite.

Lets hope that we can find and develop new technologies before that........

Simon

17. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Actually technology has had less to do with the pushing back of peak oil than just the discovery of more easily extractable oil.

On the flip side though, some of the OPEC statistics on member reserves are suspect at best, some countries fudged their own numbers to gain more influence in the organization.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

i fail to see how this could be a myth. Maybe its a myth that we've already hit peak or are going to hit peak soon, but it will happen one day. Fossil fuels are not unlimited.

19. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

The definition "peak" doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't loads more oil out there, the problem is getting to it. As we use up the present resources that are easy to extract it starts to become more costly, inefficient and hazardous to get to the more remote oil reserves. This is why accidents like the BP disaster last year happen.

20. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Exactly, it all comes down to the rate of oil production. As the machinist mentioned the demand keeps increasing while production hasn't.