Will Marijuana ever be legal in the United States for recreational use?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Cold Brains, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Titan_1600

Titan_1600 Member

Haha I wish. :D

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Not sure you got what I was saying.

Many people who smoke think that bud should be illegal. Even while they smoke. And I think that of all the marijuana smokers in the world, these are the only ones who deserve to be caught and go to jail.

3. Rugor

Rugor Senior Member

haha some very violent people smoke weed everyday.

your telling me those gangsters in LA that go around doing drive by shootings are peaceful? there are plenty of them that only blaze and do not do other drugs yet are violent criminals

4. Rugor

Rugor Senior Member

I guess legalizing is cool because you could just go to the store and not have to go through a dealer. other than that nothing is any different about it being legal. it might be cheaper which is nice. but that is it.

It will still be illegal to smoke underage and to smoke in public. Like if it was legal and I could just sit on a bench at a park and puff away that would be so chill. but nah public weed intoxication n stuff will be a big deal.

so overall making it legal is not that great. I guess because you do not have police issues for blazing but as long as you are smart you should not have problems with the police.

5. damican

damican Guest

Legalizing pot would take a very large strain off of the public prison system and local law enforcement. IE: You would be paying less taxes. The war on drugs in America has put an enormous debt on us and is just silly.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Tell that to the people in fucking PRISON for a PLANT right now.

"not that great guys, don't worry... I mean, if you where caught a little later, you'd be innocent of any wrongdoing and thus free, but don't worry... being free isn't that great..."

Your defeatist attitude is the only reason that it wouldn't be legal in public. We make the rules. Only in part, but we do. Each and every person going "ahh well don't worry, we don't need it that badly, it wouldn't even be legal EVERYWHERE" is at fault for every aspect of it's legal status.

7. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Legalizing cannabis would also be taking a very large amount of business away from corporate prisons. Do you think they would allow that?

Maybe if they could figure out a way to take money (taxes) from the legal pot they sell and have it go to those corporations that own prisons.

8. LeviathanXII

LeviathanXII Member

I see some of the benefits of legalizing pot, but I think a lot of people have unreasonable expectations. Sometimes you talk to the more "activist" type stoners who do nothing but burn and talk about how one day its going to be legal and amazing.

Like for some magical reason weed will become legal one day, the sky will open up and rain plants into every ones yard, cops on the street will light your joints for you, corner stores will sell it with a smile, high school pot heads will walk into class with pride rather then scorn from teachers, and everyone ever convicted of charges concerning marijuana will go free and all dance somewhere.

Ya right, I personally have never been fully convinced that legalization is the right way to go. I would vote yes most likely. But this is the way I see it.

If it were legal, it would

1)Require a legal age to buy it.
    2)Illegal to drive under the influence still of course.
    3)Still be illegal to grow without a permit.
    4)Be taxed
    5)There are laws for drunk and disorderly conduct. Apply the same to pot.
    6)At least were I live, it is illegal to carry bottles of booze around in public. And every square foot of a bar must be licensed. Apply the same to pot.

Those are just a few that come to mind. Basically, I think to myself, "Ok, so it would simply become privatized and more expensive" So for the average recreational user, not much changes.

You still will not be greeted warmly by the police for chillin in a park with your bong, anymore then they do not greet you warmly if your sitting out in public with a bottle of vodka.

Closet growers are still facing fines at the very least.
    Tickets and fines for being used it in public. Or if you are deemed "disorderly" by police.

And not one person can tell me the social stigma is going to vanish the day of legalization wherever you are. If it became legal today, the people that work to keep it illegal are not going to go "oh its legal, I guess there is nothing wrong with it now".

However, my biggest thought concerning weed becoming legal is the effect on high school kids. Its already in the lives of kids in high school, and while I think that is fine, I did plenty of pot in high school, but high school stoners smoke a lot at school. Its normal to blaze at lunch, legalizing will just make it seem better for kids to be doing it at school. Having alcohol on school property is illegal, so will be having pot. The difference is that other then a few times, drinking at school is not a normal daily activity, even for kids who love drinking, whereas smoking at school during the day is already normal. The point I mean to make is that when kids start (or continue) getting caught with pot at school, they are going to pull the "But its legal now, bla bla bla, you cant do this anymore, bla bla bla, police state, bla bla bla" And that is a bullshit excuse. You dont go to work drunk, if you do that enough you will get fired. If I went to work drunk and got fired, I wouldn't complain, because going to work drunk is just asking to get fired. But dumb ass kids already go to school stoned and complain about the legality of pot when they get in trouble, regardless of the fact that its legal status has nothing to do with the fact that they are 16 and stupid thinking it is ok to go to all your classes stoned.

Making pot legal will not wash the world in love, but do not get me wrong, if used responsibly by everyone then there is no reason it should be illegal, but ending prohibition did not stop there from being criminal aspects to alcohol (Like reasons listed above). And if you look at the current culture as a whole (Taking in to account adults and teens, recreational users and growers) you can see that there are many criminal aspects to the culture that will not go away overnight.

If it did become legal, I can see it going badly much more likely then going smoothly. One dumb thing happening in the first month is all anti-pot organizations need to make a case about "SEE WE TOLD YOU" And then the next year its illegal again.

I do not claim any of this to be fact, just some of the things I think about when considering what the current state of North America socially if tomorrow pot was legalized. There are a lot of stupid people out there, not everyone is informed and responsible, and the issue needs to be addressed with regards to those people who are going to mess it up, not the people that use the drug responsibly, because we do not need to worry about the people who responsibly use it, because they are not going to mess it up for the rest of us.

I am going to get yelled at for this post probably. God damn hippies.

9. slappyman

slappyman Member

Leviathan, I can agree with some of your logic but there are some points where I feel your wrong.

At this point in time it is much easier for kids in high school to get cannabis then it is for them to buy alcohol and I agree kids shouldn't be getting high at school but until it's regulated, that's going to keep happening.

I believe if it were legalized the prices would drop, with the way business works and taking the risk factor out of it, competition would kick in, it's the capitalist way of doing business. The black market would not go away over night but would after the vast profits are taken away.

The biggest roadblocks are the fact that the government hates to admit it's wrong, you have some pretty powerful lobbies against it, plus the growers themselves, and law enforcement, who I believe wouldn't care one way or the other except it would cut their budgets and they would lose the money they make off of the forfeiture laws.

As far as the stigma involved with cannabis use, that would ease over time also. The growers themselves, at least as far as the ones that grow for the pleasure and pride of growing a great plant would be unaffected because they could still market their product like vine makers sell their wines.

I saw a clip with Jesse Ventura asking a high ranking DEA official if they they had any plans to reinstate alcohol prohibition because alcohol caused so many problems and he answered that they couldn't do that because alcohol is so much a part of our culture. I wish I could find the clip, I would post it here.

The biggest thing we have working against us is the fact that cannabis makes people so mellow that they our happy to have the smoke they have. Plus the fact that in public the hardest ones working are younger people and nothing against them but they tend to reinforce the image that scare some people. What we need is for all people that smoke to get out there. The so called professionals, the construction worker, the grandpa and grandma that smoke, When people see that people just like them use cannabis that maybe it's not the demon the government presents it to be.

Sorry if this seems kind of rambling, starting a new med that I probably wouldn't need if I could buy cannabis.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

If Cannabis was legal..... I wouldnt have to worry about opening fire on a couple of yahoo jagoffs with fake badges or real ones.. .. Lets pray it dont come to that..

11. IveBeenThere2

IveBeenThere2 Member

yes, eventually

12. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

In Some states, but in some of the bible belt states and ones like Utah will probably on decriminalize eventually. If enough smokers combine and show political power and money to influence the corrupt out of touch politicans then yes, sooner than later. Otherwsie I think it will take a while and then several states will totally make it legal,but the feds will stick bust anyone they can!! We have to get the feds minds changed as well as the out of touch people who equate weed=heroin or crack,which some idiots trully believe it's the same thing or leads to the use of hard drugs..

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

if enough Cannabis Smokers sat on their Capitols Lawns huffing gasoline....... MAybe the state will get the message.. eh' what am I saying,,, "Fucking idiots that smoke marijuana dont get the message either"... bunch of disorganized stoners with no balls....

BALLS..
    Cajónes!!!!
    Spanish pronunciation: (kaˈ'xon 'is)
    Noun.

1.) NOUN: Slang for "testicles".

2.) NOUN: To "use" them, is to possess strength and bravery.

Cowards..

14. savedbyyohimbe

savedbyyohimbe Member

The private prison industrial complex needs its nutrients. Pacefull Marijanna users are the most easy targets to apprehend and prep for devourerment, especially if they're wheelchair bound.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

People in jail want to be there.... believe me, .. Everything is basically free in Jail here in the Good old State of Pennsylvania.. Ill Bet any money that if the Football game runs into over time.. The prison factory will voilate standing orders and leave the Cash cow inmates out for count during the game. And it wouldn't surprise me one bet if they dont have snacks flown in from the Governor and Mayors office...

Seriouly .. have you ever been inside an Institution when there is football on. Talk about motherfucking brainwashed.. LOL> gangster, and tough guys. Big cry babies when you cut that Tv set off....

16. savedbyyohimbe

savedbyyohimbe Member

Prohibition is always about controlling the masses and keeping their boxes small. Recreational football arenas only give the illusion that they are free and happy.

Expand your mind, expand your box. That's what I reckon.

17. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

It will become legal when more and more politicians actually crunch the REAL numbers and realize that it costs a whole hell of a lot of money to keep it illegal than any of the possible negative repercussions of legalizing it would cost.

That is the reason Arnie signed the law that makes possession of an ounce or less a simple infraction with no court appearance or record in Cal. Had nothing to do with anything other than the states budget and the enormous amounts of money being spent pursuing minor possession charges.
    $$$$$$$$$ is always the driving impetus for getting laws changed. It was $$$$$$$$$ that got it declared illegal and a menace in the first place, in large part thanks to Hearst and his paper mills and DuPont Chemical. Check the history of how the laws came to be and you will find it had not one thing to do with public safety or some shit.

So if you want to influence the laws, do some research, crunch some numbers and pass that info along to your state politicians. I honestly think more states are going to follow Ca. in regards to simple possession simply from a financial standpoint.

18. savedbyyohimbe

savedbyyohimbe Member

Its sad that politicians only think about legalizing the weed for taxation/revenue. What about spirituality and philosophy that's building up around it. Oh well, if that's turns them on, philosophy will have to wait.

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I could be going to jail.... I sure as FUCK don't wanna be there, and suspect that if I don't die by lack of proper medical attention (as diabetics are well known for being allowed to do in jail) I sort of expect to die by texas' out of control (and officially supported) culture of incarceration and gang violence, on the inside and outside. This chance being worse because I've come to the conclusion that I will kill or die before being raped... and especially here, jail is basically being sentenced to rape/AIDs.... How the FUCK is that not cruel and unusual punishment?

Readin' col. Rex Applegate's "kill or get killed". Like him, I may not, but respect that man, I do:2thumbsup:

20. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

I'm not sure about that man. I was discussing this the other night with a friend. Although what the government spends on the drug war is completely absurd, by collecting inmates (slaves) they are gathering profit for the corporations who own those prisons. Corporations own America. The corporations are what pour money back into rich white America, essentially by exploiting inmates of America and other countries.

I cannot imagine that most of the drug war is simply a result of politicians who have not crunched the numbers.