Photo
- - - - -

Will Marijuana ever be legal in the United States for recreational use?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Cold Brains

Cold Brains

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 10:16 PM

?

#2 slappyman

slappyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 10:54 PM

I do believe it will happen, not today or tomorrow. It will take a few states to break the wall. But when people see that chaos didn't ensue, people will begin to question the vast amounts of money spent on prohibition of cannabis.

But there are some very powerful groups fighting for this not to happen. The pharmaceutical companies, the private prison industry, the drug test companies, and even though I might make some enemies, the growers them selves.

People that prefer to smoke need to stand up and speak out regardless of their position in life. Sorry I'll stop, this is a tender spot we me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

#3 Nyxx

Nyxx

MISANTHROPE

• Members
  • 2,007 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 11:06 PM

N0-
Because the goverment sucks huge hairy ball bags.
No caption

#4 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• 10,262 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 11:09 PM

the growers them selves.

The current non medical (and medical, with funneled off product) producers in cali seem to have played a large part in the no on prop 19, "stoners against prop19" stupidity.... They will become no more profitable than tomato farmers when it's legal. (well not quite, there will always be a market for super high end weed... but there's a market for super good tomatoes too)

Of course there are good growers, who love the plant, and then there's most growers... who are in an unspoken coalition with the DEA. They both just love money and power.

RIP cosmoknot.

http://www.hipforums...line=1278715660

Missing at ocala: A true feminist, rumored to be traveling with bigfoot and a man of impeccable scottish credentials.

#5 TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd

Titanic's captain, yo!

• Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 12:43 AM

Probably, it could happen next year in Washington. The fact two states, two years in a row, are voting on not to decriminalize, not to approve medical, but to approve full out legalization shows it's going to happen inevitably. At best it will pass by a very thin margin in Washington next year, at worse it'll be something like a 53-47 vote that happened in California. Not a win, but close enough to show that in a few years it could be a win.
Listen to Cat Power

#6 Popularity

Popularity

• 3,346 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 02:27 AM

i said a few states but I take it back. i say "no".

i mean, no countries even have it legalized. it'd be hundreds of years if ever imo.

oteyae.gif

#7 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• 10,262 posts

Posted January 12 2011 - 03:52 AM

i said a few states but I take it back. i say "no".

i mean, no countries even have it legalized. it'd be hundreds of years if ever imo.

....Half the world doesn't give a FUCK. The other half is bullied by the US, who literally makes the planes their air force flys, and the cartoons their children watch. And even our protectorates (northern mariana islands) are legalizing. (I need to look up how that went, if we successfully bullied them back down on it...)

*edit* well and then there's china and the commie bunch... but no one likes them, either. Just their cheap plastic shit. (politically of course. I have nothing against chinamen, racially)

RIP cosmoknot.

Missing at ocala: A true feminist, rumored to be traveling with bigfoot and a man of impeccable scottish credentials.

#8 FarmerJ

FarmerJ

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 08:18 AM

There are many politically well connected people whose jobs depend it least in part on proibition, cops prosecutors, prison guards. Also as stated before many growers are against it becomeing legal. I do think we will see a continuing trend toward decrimilaziton of small amounts.

#9 This is beef

This is beef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 07:58 AM

N0-
Because the goverment sucks huge hairy ball bags.

Yes.

They are so off base with the public, and already have us right where they want us. This has been a huge issue for the past 50 years, we are just starting to crack the ice but the federal government still wants to squash it. I can see it in certain states, but not across the board legalization.

Marijuana is a plant, not a drug.
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic fucking hatreds.
It makes the world easier to figure out. - George CarlinPosted Image

#10 hawaiiankine

hawaiiankine

• 2,588 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 08:03 AM

Some states...like the non zionist ones...because smoking weed promotes peace.

#11 TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd

Titanic's captain, yo!

• Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 08:29 AM

[quote name='This is beef']Yes.

They are so off base with the public,\/QUOTE]

Actually marijuana just lost a vote in one of the most liberal states in the country to be legalized. It also lost being medical in one state(South Dakota) while passing medically with a razor thin margin in another(Arizona). Stoners do not represent the public at large.
Listen to Cat Power

#12 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• 10,262 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 09:29 AM

[quote name='TheMadcapSyd'][quote name='This is beef']Yes.

Actually marijuana just lost a vote in one of the most liberal states in the country to be legalized. It also lost being medical in one state(South Dakota) while passing medically with a razor thin margin in another(Arizona). Stoners do not represent the public at large.[/quote]

At large, as in more than half the public are everyday marijuana smokers? Well no...

If everyone who's taken a toke without legal consequences voted yes, it would be legal. The problem is that people are hypocritical shits, and think that they know what's best for "the kids" and just about every OTHER section of society, while they alone have the right and willpower to safely make the decisions every adult should be entitled to make.

The average adult, who is an occasional toker, rationalizes it something like this:

"it's ok for me because I don't get high and run over children every day... but the whole world would change their habits and start using the (already) readily available plant if the law changed, even though it wouldn't change my behavior"

RIP cosmoknot.

#13 TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd

Titanic's captain, yo!

• Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 12:04 PM

It's really not hypocritical though, it's called aging. People often change their views on things. I use to binge drink a lot as a teenager and never thought of it has bad considering I got decent grades and was healthy as an ox. I don't find it hypocritical now to yell at teenagers who do it, nor would I vote to lower the drinking age to 14 despite the fact I've been able to get liquor whenever I pleased since that age.
Listen to Cat Power

#14 stayblazin

stayblazin

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 12:07 PM

I believe it will be fully legal eventually.

However, that won't happen for a very long time.

Within 10 years I expect some states will legalize, and over time enough states will follow their lead so that it will reach the federal level.

#15 lunarverse

lunarverse

The Living End

• Members
  • 13,417 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 12:20 PM

I'm starting to think a large part of it is simply a matter of pride. The US government has made such a case against it backed up with such incredulous claims that it would be really hard for them to one day say, "We were wrong. Very wrong." They'll never admit that they lied, but when has the government admitted that they were wrong? On few and far between occasions.

Saying, "no," or, "never," is a defeatist attitude that will never benefit anybody. As long as people have faith and believe that it is possible, it remains possible if nothing else but by mere suggestion. As long as people care and believe that it's possible there's a chance. The second people say that there isn't, there isn't.

I know this discussion is about the US, but British Colombia, Canada shows some promise for the possibility of legalization in the near future. They've always been very lenient and lax towards pot use there, it's practically legal there now. Hopefully they'll start a lead the rest of Canada can look to as an example.
'Fifteen hundred members of the legion were taken prisoner.
Fidel lashed his machine gun and ammunition belt to his back,
leaped over the ship's rail into the shark-infested waters of Nipe Bay,
and swam several miles back to the mainland.
He was the only legionnaire to escape.'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd

Titanic's captain, yo!

• Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 12:32 PM

The second people say that there isn't, there isn't.

Then give the attitude of 1/2 the people on the forum that's already happened, despite the fact California voted on it last year and Washington is going to do it this year.

People never want incremental steps, they think it will never change, and do nothing to change it.(Look at all the people who were against Prop 19 because oh god it still doesn't make it so I can grow a field of marijuana in my backyard), despite the fact support for marijuana is at an all time high, and there never was this utopia in the 60's where everyone loved weed. In fact when California voted in 1972 on whether to legalize weed or not, the No vote won something like 67% of the vote, this time it was down to 52-53, and that was with a high conservative turnout in 2010.

Blaming the government is easy because it absolves people of responsibility to try to do anything.

So guys, how many of you will say instead of buying weed one week, send that money to a group that's campaigning for a Yes vote in Washington this year.
Listen to Cat Power

#17 PB_Smith

PB_Smith

Huh? What? Who, me?

• Members
  • 3,825 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 12:36 PM

Technically marijuana has only been illegal in the U.S. since 1970.
Prior to that if you had one of these;

Posted Image

you could grow, process and sell marijuana and hemp products. If you were in possesion of marijuana without a tax stamp, then it was a tax violation, not a drug violation.
Problem is that you had to be in possession of the marijuana to get the tax stamp, but if you were already in possession of it then you were in violation of the law. That is why the supreme court ruled in favor of Leary and declared the law unconstitutional. That strategy was the same method they used to control fully automatic machine guns.

It was more or less legal for a few months after Tim Leary challenged the Tax Act and the supreme court ruled it to be an unconstitutional law. That was May 19, 1969. Then the new Scheduling didn't go into effect until 1970. So for a few months marijuana was "legal" to posses in the U.S. Technically speaking that is, I'm sure there were some unfortunate people who got busted in that time frame that neither they or the police or local courts had any idea about the supreme court ruling.
Insanity laughs under pressure we're breaking
Can't we give ourselves one more chance
Why can't we give love that one more chance
Why can't we give love give love give love give love
give love give love give love give love give love
'Cause love's such an old fashioned word
And love dares you to care for
The people on the edge of the night
And love dares you to change our way of
Caring about ourselves
This is our last dance
This is our last dance
This is ourselves
Under pressure

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PB is just a dick. He knows it too.

Really sucks when you jump on the bandwagon, only to find it's the garbage truck.

#18 This is beef

This is beef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 02:26 PM

[quote name='TheMadcapSyd'][quote name='This is beef']Yes.

Actually marijuana just lost a vote in one of the most liberal states in the country to be legalized. It also lost being medical in one state(South Dakota) while passing medically with a razor thin margin in another(Arizona). Stoners do not represent the public at large.[/quote]

Yes, not everyone is a stoner but it doesn't take a stoner to see that marijuana is no life stealing killer drug. Hell, my grandma doesn't even think pot is a bad thing. Makes the holidays so much more merry.Posted Image :xmastree::ssmokeit:

I find the average attitude on the street is that marijuana (while still a mind altering "drug") and its smokers should not be ostracized as they are. But maybe that is just the people I work, live, and interact with.

I feel the adversary is very vocal concerned parents (MADD, SADD), that have no trust in their children, more so than the public at large.

About giving to a yes campaign, realistically I dont think so. But I could give my time.
I don't have pet peeves, I have major psychotic fucking hatreds.
It makes the world easier to figure out. - George CarlinPosted Image

#19 Titan_1600

Titan_1600

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:06 PM

I believe one day it will be legal throughout this entire country, but it likely won't be anytime soon.

#20 lilHippieChick

lilHippieChick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:16 PM

Tommorow
Posted Image

#21 Titan_1600

Titan_1600

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:20 PM

Haha I wish. :D

#22 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• 10,262 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 11:34 PM

It's really not hypocritical though, it's called aging. People often change their views on things. I use to binge drink a lot as a teenager and never thought of it has bad considering I got decent grades and was healthy as an ox. I don't find it hypocritical now to yell at teenagers who do it, nor would I vote to lower the drinking age to 14 despite the fact I've been able to get liquor whenever I pleased since that age.

Not sure you got what I was saying.

Many people who smoke think that bud should be illegal. Even while they smoke. And I think that of all the marijuana smokers in the world, these are the only ones who deserve to be caught and go to jail.

RIP cosmoknot.

#23 Rugor

Rugor

• 1,183 posts

Posted January 22 2011 - 11:58 PM

Some states...like the non zionist ones...because smoking weed promotes peace.

haha some very violent people smoke weed everyday.

your telling me those gangsters in LA that go around doing drive by shootings are peaceful? there are plenty of them that only blaze and do not do other drugs yet are violent criminals
Posted Image

#24 Rugor

Rugor

• 1,183 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 12:03 AM

I guess legalizing is cool because you could just go to the store and not have to go through a dealer. other than that nothing is any different about it being legal. it might be cheaper which is nice. but that is it.

It will still be illegal to smoke underage and to smoke in public. Like if it was legal and I could just sit on a bench at a park and puff away that would be so chill. but nah public weed intoxication n stuff will be a big deal.

so overall making it legal is not that great. I guess because you do not have police issues for blazing but as long as you are smart you should not have problems with the police.
Posted Image

#25 damican

damican

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 05:50 AM

Legalizing pot would take a very large strain off of the public prison system and local law enforcement. IE: You would be paying less taxes. The war on drugs in America has put an enormous debt on us and is just silly.

#26 RooRshack

RooRshack

On Sabbatical

• 10,262 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 06:25 AM

I guess legalizing is cool because you could just go to the store and not have to go through a dealer. other than that nothing is any different about it being legal. it might be cheaper which is nice. but that is it.

It will still be illegal to smoke underage and to smoke in public. Like if it was legal and I could just sit on a bench at a park and puff away that would be so chill. but nah public weed intoxication n stuff will be a big deal.

so overall making it legal is not that great. I guess because you do not have police issues for blazing but as long as you are smart you should not have problems with the police.

Tell that to the people in fucking PRISON for a PLANT right now.

"not that great guys, don't worry... I mean, if you where caught a little later, you'd be innocent of any wrongdoing and thus free, but don't worry... being free isn't that great..."

Your defeatist attitude is the only reason that it wouldn't be legal in public. We make the rules. Only in part, but we do. Each and every person going "ahh well don't worry, we don't need it that badly, it wouldn't even be legal EVERYWHERE" is at fault for every aspect of it's legal status.

RIP cosmoknot.

#27 lunarverse

lunarverse

The Living End

• Members
  • 13,417 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 07:37 AM

Legalizing pot would take a very large strain off of the public prison system and local law enforcement. IE: You would be paying less taxes. The war on drugs in America has put an enormous debt on us and is just silly.

Legalizing cannabis would also be taking a very large amount of business away from corporate prisons. Do you think they would allow that?

Maybe if they could figure out a way to take money (taxes) from the legal pot they sell and have it go to those corporations that own prisons.

Edited by lunarverse, January 23 2011 - 07:38 AM.
I've always wanted to solve a rubik's cube

'Fifteen hundred members of the legion were taken prisoner.
Fidel lashed his machine gun and ammunition belt to his back,
leaped over the ship's rail into the shark-infested waters of Nipe Bay,
and swam several miles back to the mainland.
He was the only legionnaire to escape.'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#28 LeviathanXII

LeviathanXII

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 07:41 AM

I see some of the benefits of legalizing pot, but I think a lot of people have unreasonable expectations. Sometimes you talk to the more "activist" type stoners who do nothing but burn and talk about how one day its going to be legal and amazing.

Like for some magical reason weed will become legal one day, the sky will open up and rain plants into every ones yard, cops on the street will light your joints for you, corner stores will sell it with a smile, high school pot heads will walk into class with pride rather then scorn from teachers, and everyone ever convicted of charges concerning marijuana will go free and all dance somewhere.

Ya right, I personally have never been fully convinced that legalization is the right way to go. I would vote yes most likely. But this is the way I see it.

If it were legal, it would

1)Require a legal age to buy it.
2)Illegal to drive under the influence still of course.
3)Still be illegal to grow without a permit.
4)Be taxed
5)There are laws for drunk and disorderly conduct. Apply the same to pot.
6)At least were I live, it is illegal to carry bottles of booze around in public. And every square foot of a bar must be licensed. Apply the same to pot.

Those are just a few that come to mind. Basically, I think to myself, "Ok, so it would simply become privatized and more expensive" So for the average recreational user, not much changes.

You still will not be greeted warmly by the police for chillin in a park with your bong, anymore then they do not greet you warmly if your sitting out in public with a bottle of vodka.

Closet growers are still facing fines at the very least.
Tickets and fines for being used it in public. Or if you are deemed "disorderly" by police.

And not one person can tell me the social stigma is going to vanish the day of legalization wherever you are. If it became legal today, the people that work to keep it illegal are not going to go "oh its legal, I guess there is nothing wrong with it now".

However, my biggest thought concerning weed becoming legal is the effect on high school kids. Its already in the lives of kids in high school, and while I think that is fine, I did plenty of pot in high school, but high school stoners smoke a lot at school. Its normal to blaze at lunch, legalizing will just make it seem better for kids to be doing it at school. Having alcohol on school property is illegal, so will be having pot. The difference is that other then a few times, drinking at school is not a normal daily activity, even for kids who love drinking, whereas smoking at school during the day is already normal. The point I mean to make is that when kids start (or continue) getting caught with pot at school, they are going to pull the "But its legal now, bla bla bla, you cant do this anymore, bla bla bla, police state, bla bla bla" And that is a bullshit excuse. You dont go to work drunk, if you do that enough you will get fired. If I went to work drunk and got fired, I wouldn't complain, because going to work drunk is just asking to get fired. But dumb ass kids already go to school stoned and complain about the legality of pot when they get in trouble, regardless of the fact that its legal status has nothing to do with the fact that they are 16 and stupid thinking it is ok to go to all your classes stoned.

Making pot legal will not wash the world in love, but do not get me wrong, if used responsibly by everyone then there is no reason it should be illegal, but ending prohibition did not stop there from being criminal aspects to alcohol (Like reasons listed above). And if you look at the current culture as a whole (Taking in to account adults and teens, recreational users and growers) you can see that there are many criminal aspects to the culture that will not go away overnight.

If it did become legal, I can see it going badly much more likely then going smoothly. One dumb thing happening in the first month is all anti-pot organizations need to make a case about "SEE WE TOLD YOU" And then the next year its illegal again.

I do not claim any of this to be fact, just some of the things I think about when considering what the current state of North America socially if tomorrow pot was legalized. There are a lot of stupid people out there, not everyone is informed and responsible, and the issue needs to be addressed with regards to those people who are going to mess it up, not the people that use the drug responsibly, because we do not need to worry about the people who responsibly use it, because they are not going to mess it up for the rest of us.

I am going to get yelled at for this post probably. God damn hippies.
He sought his old habitual fear of death and could not find it. Where was it? What death? There was no more fear because there was no more death.

#29 slappyman

slappyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted January 23 2011 - 12:01 PM

Leviathan, I can agree with some of your logic but there are some points where I feel your wrong.

At this point in time it is much easier for kids in high school to get cannabis then it is for them to buy alcohol and I agree kids shouldn't be getting high at school but until it's regulated, that's going to keep happening.

I believe if it were legalized the prices would drop, with the way business works and taking the risk factor out of it, competition would kick in, it's the capitalist way of doing business. The black market would not go away over night but would after the vast profits are taken away.

The biggest roadblocks are the fact that the government hates to admit it's wrong, you have some pretty powerful lobbies against it, plus the growers themselves, and law enforcement, who I believe wouldn't care one way or the other except it would cut their budgets and they would lose the money they make off of the forfeiture laws.

As far as the stigma involved with cannabis use, that would ease over time also. The growers themselves, at least as far as the ones that grow for the pleasure and pride of growing a great plant would be unaffected because they could still market their product like vine makers sell their wines.

I saw a clip with Jesse Ventura asking a high ranking DEA official if they they had any plans to reinstate alcohol prohibition because alcohol caused so many problems and he answered that they couldn't do that because alcohol is so much a part of our culture. I wish I could find the clip, I would post it here.

The biggest thing we have working against us is the fact that cannabis makes people so mellow that they our happy to have the smoke they have. Plus the fact that in public the hardest ones working are younger people and nothing against them but they tend to reinforce the image that scare some people. What we need is for all people that smoke to get out there. The so called professionals, the construction worker, the grandpa and grandma that smoke, When people see that people just like them use cannabis that maybe it's not the demon the government presents it to be.

Sorry if this seems kind of rambling, starting a new med that I probably wouldn't need if I could buy cannabis.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

#30 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,090 posts
  • LocationSquirrel Hill Penisylvania

Posted January 23 2011 - 12:03 PM

If Cannabis was legal..... I wouldnt have to worry about opening fire on a couple of yahoo jagoffs with fake badges or real ones.. .. Lets pray it dont come to that..

Posted Image

You guard your hopes

you pocket your dreams
You'd trade it all to
avoid an unpleasant scene