Will Marijuana ever be legal in the United States for recreational use?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Cold Brains, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Cold Brains

Cold Brains Member

2. slappyman

slappyman Member

I do believe it will happen, not today or tomorrow. It will take a few states to break the wall. But when people see that chaos didn't ensue, people will begin to question the vast amounts of money spent on prohibition of cannabis.

But there are some very powerful groups fighting for this not to happen. The pharmaceutical companies, the private prison industry, the drug test companies, and even though I might make some enemies, the growers them selves.

People that prefer to smoke need to stand up and speak out regardless of their position in life. Sorry I'll stop, this is a tender spot we me.

3. Nyxx

Nyxx HELLO STALKER

N0-
    Because the goverment sucks huge hairy ball bags.

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The current non medical (and medical, with funneled off product) producers in cali seem to have played a large part in the no on prop 19, "stoners against prop19" stupidity.... They will become no more profitable than tomato farmers when it's legal. (well not quite, there will always be a market for super high end weed... but there's a market for super good tomatoes too)

Of course there are good growers, who love the plant, and then there's most growers... who are in an unspoken coalition with the DEA. They both just love money and power.

5. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Probably, it could happen next year in Washington. The fact two states, two years in a row, are voting on not to decriminalize, not to approve medical, but to approve full out legalization shows it's going to happen inevitably. At best it will pass by a very thin margin in Washington next year, at worse it'll be something like a 53-47 vote that happened in California. Not a win, but close enough to show that in a few years it could be a win.

6. Popularity

Popularity Senior Member

i said a few states but I take it back. i say "no".

i mean, no countries even have it legalized. it'd be hundreds of years if ever imo.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

....Half the world doesn't give a FUCK. The other half is bullied by the US, who literally makes the planes their air force flys, and the cartoons their children watch. And even our protectorates (northern mariana islands) are legalizing. (I need to look up how that went, if we successfully bullied them back down on it...)

*edit* well and then there's china and the commie bunch... but no one likes them, either. Just their cheap plastic shit. (politically of course. I have nothing against chinamen, racially)

8. FarmerJ

FarmerJ Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are many politically well connected people whose jobs depend it least in part on proibition, cops prosecutors, prison guards. Also as stated before many growers are against it becomeing legal. I do think we will see a continuing trend toward decrimilaziton of small amounts.

9. This is beef

This is beef Member

Yes.

They are so off base with the public, and already have us right where they want us. This has been a huge issue for the past 50 years, we are just starting to crack the ice but the federal government still wants to squash it. I can see it in certain states, but not across the board legalization.

Marijuana is a plant, not a drug.

10. hawaiiankine

hawaiiankine Senior Member

Some states...like the non zionist ones...because smoking weed promotes peace.

11. TheMadcapSyd

12. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

13. TheMadcapSyd

It's really not hypocritical though, it's called aging. People often change their views on things. I use to binge drink a lot as a teenager and never thought of it has bad considering I got decent grades and was healthy as an ox. I don't find it hypocritical now to yell at teenagers who do it, nor would I vote to lower the drinking age to 14 despite the fact I've been able to get liquor whenever I pleased since that age.

14. stayblazin

stayblazin Member

I believe it will be fully legal eventually.

However, that won't happen for a very long time.

Within 10 years I expect some states will legalize, and over time enough states will follow their lead so that it will reach the federal level.

15. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

I'm starting to think a large part of it is simply a matter of pride. The US government has made such a case against it backed up with such incredulous claims that it would be really hard for them to one day say, "We were wrong. Very wrong." They'll never admit that they lied, but when has the government admitted that they were wrong? On few and far between occasions.

Saying, "no," or, "never," is a defeatist attitude that will never benefit anybody. As long as people have faith and believe that it is possible, it remains possible if nothing else but by mere suggestion. As long as people care and believe that it's possible there's a chance. The second people say that there isn't, there isn't.

I know this discussion is about the US, but British Colombia, Canada shows some promise for the possibility of legalization in the near future. They've always been very lenient and lax towards pot use there, it's practically legal there now. Hopefully they'll start a lead the rest of Canada can look to as an example.

16. TheMadcapSyd

Then give the attitude of 1/2 the people on the forum that's already happened, despite the fact California voted on it last year and Washington is going to do it this year.

People never want incremental steps, they think it will never change, and do nothing to change it.(Look at all the people who were against Prop 19 because oh god it still doesn't make it so I can grow a field of marijuana in my backyard), despite the fact support for marijuana is at an all time high, and there never was this utopia in the 60's where everyone loved weed. In fact when California voted in 1972 on whether to legalize weed or not, the No vote won something like 67% of the vote, this time it was down to 52-53, and that was with a high conservative turnout in 2010.

Blaming the government is easy because it absolves people of responsibility to try to do anything.

So guys, how many of you will say instead of buying weed one week, send that money to a group that's campaigning for a Yes vote in Washington this year.

17. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Technically marijuana has only been illegal in the U.S. since 1970.
    Prior to that if you had one of these;

[​IMG]

you could grow, process and sell marijuana and hemp products. If you were in possesion of marijuana without a tax stamp, then it was a tax violation, not a drug violation.
    Problem is that you had to be in possession of the marijuana to get the tax stamp, but if you were already in possession of it then you were in violation of the law. That is why the supreme court ruled in favor of Leary and declared the law unconstitutional. That strategy was the same method they used to control fully automatic machine guns.

It was more or less legal for a few months after Tim Leary challenged the Tax Act and the supreme court ruled it to be an unconstitutional law. That was May 19, 1969. Then the new Scheduling didn't go into effect until 1970. So for a few months marijuana was "legal" to posses in the U.S. Technically speaking that is, I'm sure there were some unfortunate people who got busted in that time frame that neither they or the police or local courts had any idea about the supreme court ruling.

18. This is beef

This is beef Member

19. Titan_1600

Titan_1600 Member

I believe one day it will be legal throughout this entire country, but it likely won't be anytime soon.

20. lilHippieChick

lilHippieChick Member