"Bath salts" banned in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Synthetic Drugs' started by CannbisSouL, Jan 10, 2011.

1. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13798678

LIVINGSTON, LA (WAFB) - It has been called the "poor man's meth" known as a legal way to get high. Today Governor Bobby Jindal signed an emergency rule making fake "bath salts" illegal. The synthetic drug is sold online and at gas station stores.

It is the first time something like this has been done. Jindal says the chemicals in this fake "bath salt" are now considered a schedule one drug, meaning not for medicinal purposes, but having high abuse potential.

Deputies in Livingston Parish wasted no time hitting several stores after the governor's announcement. They say they knew where the stuff was being sold, now they can get it off the streets.

"Whatever kind of bath salt you got, put it right here," said one Livingston deputy. 9 News rode along with Livingston deputies as they began confiscating the drugs. Livingston Parish deputies have known gas station stores have been selling the synthetic drugs by the packet. Now they can take them off the shelves.

"Therefore making it illegal to possess, manufacture or distribute these products in the state of Louisiana," said Governor Jindal. "This is a growing threat...some are saying it's greater than crystal meth in their communities."

At Rayburn's Grocery, in Satsuma there were six different brands of the "bath salt" for sale behind the counter. Each around 250 milligrams per packet for $20 to $45 dollars each.

The drug is said to cause the same high as cocaine or ecstasy, and are ingested the same way as other drugs. Patients have been treated for paranoia, hallucinations and many report suicidal thoughts.
    Walter Reed, District Attorney for the 22 JDC, says three people in Louisiana have taken their own life. "A mother in Minden, Louisiana told me her son hung himself," Reed said.

Livingston's law enforcement is asking stores to hand the stuff over voluntarily. At one shop, it took some convincing before the store owner complied.

"It's a felony to possess the stuff. If you have any around and we find out, you going to jail for it," said a deputy to one store owner. After hearing that, the owner went outside and returned with ten packets of "Cloud9" - another brand of the drugs. The owner told 9 News, he only sold it because customers asked him to.

Deputies say the one thing they want to find out now is where and from who these stores are getting the drugs.

If you have the drugs in your possession, you can face up to 30 years in prison. The governor says they'll need to pass additional legislation, in case manufacturers try to switch the chemicals and continue selling the drug.

Legal highs you people say? Well with the publicity they get.. they won't be legal much longer. :sunny:

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

if the shit is dangerous and bad then it shouldnt be available at a fucking gas station...i am all for people getting high if that is their choice but i dont want this shit coming to my town...i am pretty sure they arent talking about the stuff you buy at high end shops and mary kay

3. CannbisSouL

CannbisSouL Smoke 'till you toke. Lifetime Supporter

I think these things can be used somewhat responsibly by someone with the will-power to do such, and the knowledge of what's in them - but my main problem with these things is the fact that majority of people who buy them don't care what's in them, they just want to get as fucked up as possible.

They take these things without doing any research, going by advice of how fucked up others got and end up screwing themselves over. Then they give the research chemical scene a terrible name.

I gotta agree with you though, making these legal blends illegal is probably a good thing.

4. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

Schedule I, same as weed...

5. vividXX

vividXX Member

I live in Louisiana. I have tried it once. It wasn't that great. I was fucked up for like 20 minutes. It kind of felt like a cross between being drunk and rolling.

6. Spicy Milk

Spicy Milk Guest

Bath Salts are not all that the hype makes it up to be. People told me it was synthetic cocaine, all that I ever noticed was that people were more social and talkative on it.

7. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

They're talking about mephedrone, methylone, and to a lesser extent MDPV and related chemicals, though the latter are usually sold under a fertilizer name.

I don't care what you want where, I don't want tweakers everywhere, but I would prefer that to fascism. If they went teaching kinds about how stupid amphetamines can be instead of sending people to prison for chemicals, they'd spend less money and do more good.

MDPV worse than crank? probly... Mephedrone? methinx not.... Either way, it's not their fucking right to dictate what people take.

There's lots of people who kill themselves all the time, for all sorts of reasons. because 3 people who engaged in high risk activities killed themselves, doesn't mean anything about mephedrone causing it.

Fascist fucks.

*edit* the comments on that story are great, especially if they are by locals, and not HF users :D

8. G0dm4ch1n3

G0dm4ch1n3 Senior Member

9. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

there must be line some where when it comes to safety..poor planning and bad government regulations or lack there of is responsible for some huge health care problems decades later ie smoking cigarettes....a gas station attendant cant possibly be held responsible for selling this shit to someone so it shouldnt be there in the first place..put it behind the counter in a shop that no kids can get it over the counter..like a head shop or in canadas case..headshops and tattoo shops[new vendors here]

the dick rub doesnt sound all that bad lol...should have used another example haha:mickey:

10. SweetBlasphemy

SweetBlasphemy Senior Member

Yeah, these are the one set of drugs I'm not sad to see banned. Like someone said up there, research chemicals in the hands of the average member of the general public is not a good idea. Not to mention, someone who IS responsible and experienced with RCs can't even know what the hell exactly is in the stuff without a GC/MS. Not that I was a huge fan of the cathinones et al. to begin with but it always irks me when something that we as a community try to keep under wraps but it inevitably falls into the wrong hands and ruins it for the rest of us, as well as hurting those who use the stuff irresponsibly and without knowledge.

I think Salvia is following close behind... another one I won't shed a tear to see banned (at least to the general public - it will be a bummer when it becomes unavailable to those who want to use it properly and responsibly). Salvia is not a toy and should not be readily available to any 16 year old looking for a "weed substitute."

11. G0dm4ch1n3

G0dm4ch1n3 Senior Member

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

salvia is available here at the head/tat shop...i reamed out a mom of my sons friend for buying them salvia...the tattoo shop in smiths falls here is a sex/hydroponic/tattoo/piercing/head/clothing shop...guy is a jack of all trades

13. SweetBlasphemy

Some kind of jack, that's for sure :rolleyes: But good on ya for giving the mom an earful. Sooo aggravating when people don't take the time to educate themselves and automatically think something is "safe" or fine for everyone just because it's legal.

14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well good on ya, explaning salvia to her and how fucking stupid that was....

But how fucking dare you people say that it's ok to ban a drug, because of stupid 16 year olds? What an ignorant, harmful thing to say. You are a part of the problem, and the reason that those 16 year olds are in the uneducated position to do that in the first place.

15. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

I'm sorta surprised at some of the comments here...

Personally, I am pretty much against most 'hard' drugs, but I think they should ALL be legal for adults...

What I don't agree with is them being falsely labeled and being sold without restriction.

All recreational usage drugs should be sold and treated in the same manner as alcohol is...

Adults make their own choices and we protect our children.

16. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Fixed that for you :D

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

Well, I guess its back to muddling on the 4wheelers, if we can get no baff salts.. Woot.., hey does this mud feels a little oily to you?. ;)

18. SweetBlasphemy

Well, the difference is: I was looking at it from a realistic point of view. Sure, in my fuckin' dreams all illicit substances would be legally made available to responsible adults to do as they please in this country and worldwide, but the DEA doesn't see it that way. So given the choice between "ALL DRUGZ FREE 4 ALL!" or banning certain substances so stupid people stop hurting themselves (but still possible to acquire it on the DL for those who want it) and ruining it for the rest of us, I say take the scissors away from the idiot running with them pointed toward their chest. That's how I fuckin' dare :)

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

The difference is, when they're passing that legislation, people standing up can and does have a difference, like in my previous homestate, where when some psycho bitch state senator tried to get a ban going, they said fuck you, because people didn't lie down like you, and regulated salvia for adults, so that it is now regulated in sale and possession under the tobacco laws of the state.

The post I'm quoting reads like a DEA plant. No one said anything about all drugs free for all, but all drugs SHOULD be regulated and accessable. When people stand up, this happens, when they say "oh well, lets keep stupid people from hurting themselves, even if it hurts the rest of the people, instead of making those stupid peoples parents be fucking parents" then drugs become illegal, and then there's no way to keep stupid people of them, which creates bad publicity and insures that they will always be illegal. And then how many states or countries recently saw that this or a similar drug was so dangerous it had to be criminalized is used to outlaw that or other drugs in other states or countries or at a federal level.

Not to mention that salvia is one of the safer drugs, you can NOT physically hurt yourself on it, so long as there is a sitter, and the things that happen in your mind are so far removed from reality that it's not likely to cause any real life problems other than a strong aversion to salvia.

There is also no excuse for making people who use these chemicals properly criminals and involving them in a criminal underworld just to get psychedelics, just because they sometimes CAN find them. It's their RIGHT to find them, and not your right to say 'well that's fine, because johnny on the corner knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy with a sketchy substance he claimss is X". This hurts legitimate users, AND the users you are purporting to protect.

So yeah..... bullshit argument is complete bullshit. There is no excuse for supporting, or even accepting, that kind of legislation.

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It's all the meth making by-products in it, that make it feel oily ;)

Local law enforcement need monies, too, and this rival, safer amphetamine was hurting their business.