• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Frogfoot

Frogfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 12:14 PM

Which captain is your favorite? Any particular reason? OK then, if you feel like it... engage!

#2 easygoing

easygoing

conservative jerk

• Members
  • 1,080 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 04:10 PM

Picard was my favorite captain, I'm not sure why.

Jainway was alright too.

#3 Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla

Go Ape

• 7,641 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted January 08 2011 - 04:48 PM

Janeway was my favourite.

Voyager my favourite series. Liked the matriarchal aspect of that series with the Janeway/Seven/Torres Combo. First Officer was a himbo and Tom was a unrespected player type early on anyway. It was the most chick friendly series

#4 Duck

Duck

quack.

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 22,857 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 04:48 PM

Picard. It seems to me he is the most full and rich character. Seems like someone I would like to know and would admire in real life.
Check out my poetry

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stand up for your rights.

#5 WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII

Grouchy Old Fart

• Members
  • 2,081 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 05:12 PM

Christopher Pike.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Effect change before change affects you."
--Vermin Supreme

#6 Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy

• 6,061 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 05:32 PM

I voted Kirk, but it was really the teamwork between him, Spock and Bones that I liked.

#7 Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale

( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

• 3,802 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted January 08 2011 - 05:36 PM

Captain Kathryn Janeway :love:

I didn't like her at first, then grew to love her.

#8 SpaceMan Spiff

SpaceMan Spiff

٩ (๏̯͡๏)۶ NINJA

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • 53,380 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted January 08 2011 - 05:45 PM

Picard by a longshot

Posted Image

#9 skip

skip

If you don't know me by now...

• Administrators
  • 11,838 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted January 08 2011 - 05:51 PM

Captain Kathryn Janeway :love:

I didn't like her at first, then grew to love her.

I didn't care for Picard much at first cause he was too uptight and cold. But of course he did win me over eventually with his maturity. How many times did you see Picard engage in fisticuffs compared with Kirk? That was often Kirk's solution to impossible situations, just start punching! BTW, love Shatner's new show... Shit my dad says! A perfect role for the curmudgeon.

I never could stand Janeway's cigarette voice, nor her granny hairstyle (same one my ancient Biology teacher had back in 1968). She ruined that show for me.

I also think Riker was a miscast. Not much of a personality. Data had more personality than Riker! Riker always walked and acted like he had a chip on his shoulder for no apparent reason.

Check out my Travel Journal!

#10 djomalley

djomalley

Fanch King

• Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 06:08 PM

Picard.

He's smooth city. My mom used to watch Next Generation all the time and it was kinda 'our show'. Never been a big star trek fan though, and I wouldn't really know anything about it if wasn't her my favorite show when I was younger.

I've never really seen any other of the generations? besides 'Next Generation' except for a couple of episodes here and though of other seasons but it all seemed rather bland besides the very first one.
Posted Image

#11 Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale

( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

• 3,802 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 06:10 PM

I didn't care for Picard much at first cause he was too uptight and cold. But of course he did win me over eventually with his maturity. How many times did you see Picard engage in fisticuffs compared with Kirk? That was often Kirk's solution to impossible situations, just start punching! BTW, love Shatner's new show... Shit my dad says! A perfect role for the curmudgeon.

I never could stand Janeway's cigarette voice, nor her granny hairstyle (same one my ancient Biology teacher had back in 1968). She ruined that show for me.

I also think Riker was a miscast. Not much of a personality. Data had more personality than Riker! Riker always walked and acted like he had a chip on his shoulder for no apparent reason.

Yea, jeez I hated that show for I think the whole first season! But it grew on me as well in time. I was a diehard fan of the original series so it was hard to get used to.

Patrick Stuart is great! Riker got better, but he always seemed to have a stick up his rear. Data was great also. I loved it when Q gave him the laughs for a minute, lol.

I think Janeway captured my heart when she smiled to her future self while saying goodbye as she sent her off to destroy the borg so they could get home (I think it was 'End Game'). That was a beautiful smile!

Edit: Oh, and I think I know what Shatner show you are talking about. I only saw a couple of them, but they were funny! I haven't had a tv in over a year now. But I can still see some Star Trek on Youtube, thankfully!

#12 def zeppelin

def zeppelin

All connected

• Members
  • 3,797 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 06:31 PM

watchtrek.com/ THANK ME LATER :D

I love Trek... I even play Star Trek online every once in a while (lol, such a nerd). My favorite is easy... that's gotta be Picard. He really understands his crewmen and I never really saw him as cold, just a guy who cut through walls to get at the truth. He inspired the best and is very passionate and intelligent.

#13 Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale

( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

• 3,802 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 06:38 PM

Khan had a ship too..

http://www.hipforums...pictureid=60848

If he'd had his own Star Trek series, it would have been a big hit, I think.

#14 Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 07:15 PM

Picard, hands down. Mainly because his acting just seemed to radiate with leadership. The way he acted, the way he spoke. Plus, The Next Generation had some pretty trippy episodes and movies as well! I love Star Trek - Generations where Data got an emotions modification :lol: But yeah, Picard rocks. Star Wars sucks. haha :D

"All (those) moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain." --Roy Batty (Rutger Hauer [Blade Runner])

"They say laughter is the best medicine... but I'm no comedian." --Terrapin

"Silent people have the loudest minds." --Stephen Hawking

"It may be stormy not, but it won't rain forever." --Various/Unknown

"Things went down that we don't understand, but I think in time we will." --J. Garcia

"If I told you all that went down it would burn off both your ears. --J. Garcia

#15 Frogfoot

Frogfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 05:44 PM

Christopher Pike.

I almost included Pike in the poll! He does represent a lot of the ideal of star fleet personnel - crippling himself to save others, trying to stop Spock from putting his career at risk - self-sacrifice is Pike's way. I just watched The Menagerie ealier this evening... strange how the 2-parter repeats much of episode 1. Still, a great pair of episodes. It just seems strange that they'd repeat so quickly. Another thing, was Pike intended to be the captain of the Enterprise on the series? I've never heard of a series that leads off with something other than its actual cast of characters.

Anyway, I chose Janeway (now spelled correctly, at least here) because I ABSOLUTELY ADORE granny hair and gravily voices :). Beyond that, if any further reason was needed, there was the friction caused by the urgings to a scientist of scientific exploration in an unkown area and the bulldog tenacity employed while striving to leave that same unknown space that I appreciated. Oh I disagreed with so many of her decisions - and that makes for a good character! Even better, at times I came around to thinking that her choices were of an even higher quality than those flying about in the mind of Captain Frogfoot. Well, that's to say, I felt the decisions more on Voyager than I have in the other series. I do love them all though. There is just something about Star Trek that appeals to me... I think the series is centered on something of a hippie-friendly model. It premiered, at least, during the golden age. But I really don't know what I'm talking about. It's just how it's seemed to me.

#16 LoneDeranger

LoneDeranger

Trying to pay attention.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 10:59 PM

Picard - a man of reason as well as action. And he had an air of dignity that only Janeway came close to matching.

#17 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,773 posts
  • LocationSquirrel Hill Penisylvania

Posted January 09 2011 - 11:25 PM

haha. I come back in to check see you included Pike..

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve
with the full moon over town
Stagger Lee shot Billy DeLyon

and he blew that poor boy down

#18 skip

skip

• Administrators
  • 11,838 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted January 10 2011 - 09:03 AM

Khan had a ship too..

http://www.hipforums...pictureid=60848

If he'd had his own Star Trek series, it would have been a big hit, I think.

OOOOOOOHHH! Real Corinthian Leather!
Buy a Cordoba! Yesterday's Car that looks like tomorrow's junk heap!

Adios Ricardo! I hope you're living on Fantasy Island now... Hi to the little guy!

#19 Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned

• 3,424 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 09:42 AM

Picard. I only like next generation. And that empath chick in the spandex was my first TV love.

#20 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • 17,689 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 09:51 AM

Most of them thought they were in theatre.
All a little too method for me.
But, putting acting styles aside: Picard.
Why? Because the actual series he was part of is my fave'.
Good original stories that the following shows merely re-cycled.
Janeway next. But yeah her hair and voice was slightly annoying (too much Shatner hand gestures too).

#21 skip

skip

• Administrators
  • 11,838 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted January 10 2011 - 10:31 AM

But, putting acting styles aside: Picard.
Why? Because the actual series he was part of is my fave'.
Good original stories that the following shows merely re-cycled.

Next Gen copied many story lines from First Gen. and other sci-fi. There were some good original stories too, when they paid good writers.

Overall I'd say Next Gen had the best production values for a TV series.

And there's one thing more that sets Picard apart from all the other captains... He is borg. That whole trip with him being assimilated was excellent. Good scifi there!

So what is the moral behind the story of the Borg Collective? Ooh, that would make a nice name for a dispensary...

I love this "scholarly" interpretation:

One interpretation Inspired by Klaus Theweleit's psychoanalytic study of the proto-Nazi Freikorps, scholars like Scott Bukatman, Mark Dery, and Rosi Braidotti have identified the Borg as representing a significant anxiety of males with respect to their loss of power and increasing obsolescence in "postmodern culture." Men feel threatened by feminine liquidity and flows, and seek an armored body to fortify themselves against disintegration and contamination. They become hyper-masculine warriors corporeally enhanced with fetishistic high-tech prostheses.[6]

Edited by Skip, January 10 2011 - 10:46 AM.

#22 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • 17,689 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 10:45 AM

Next Gen copied many story lines from First Gen. and other sci-fi. There were some good original stories too, when they paid good writers.

Perhaps. I think the First Gen did an episode where one of the crew was stranded with an alien species and they became friends and accepted each others customs etc. I can't remember. I know the Next Gen did it 100% better what ever was re-cycled.

Overall I'd say Next Gen had the best production values for a TV series.

Yeah. It's a shame the picture/sound quality isn't as good as some of the others. It's a shame they didn't film in HD.

So what is the moral behind the story of the Borg Collective?

American imperialism, probably.

#23 skip

skip

• Administrators
  • 11,838 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted January 10 2011 - 10:54 AM

They say it themselves. Although it's more of a slogan...

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Yes, that is the very nature of imperialism/fascism/capitalism. We take what you've got of value, trash your world, and no pity for those left with nothing.

Once assimilated you will think like we think. Do as we order. Obey.

Cause once again, resistance is futile, right?

Uh, I think Picard figured out how to deal with Imperialists...

Sleep...Data...Sleep....

Put the sheep to sleep...

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaooooooorrrrrggg!

#24 Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy

• 6,061 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 10:57 AM

I was thinking about this the other day it reminded me of a strict religious group where everyone acts the same way and believes the same things.

#25 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • 17,689 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 11:07 AM

I love this "scholarly" interpretation

One problem with that theory. Actually two. The QUEEN Borg. FEMALE Borg.

#26 hotwater

hotwater

• 20,618 posts
  • LocationNorthern New England

Posted January 10 2011 - 12:17 PM

That's easy Jean-Luc Picard :2thumbsup:

Posted Image

Hotwater
Never! This is outrageous. I'm through with it. I'll have no more of this hell-spawn!

#27 Frogfoot

Frogfoot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 02:58 AM

Perhaps. I think the First Gen did an episode where one of the crew was stranded with an alien species and they became friends and accepted each others customs etc. I can't remember. I know the Next Gen did it 100% better what ever was re-cycled.

You're probably thinking of the episode called "Arena" in TOS. Kirk and the reptilian captain of the vessel the Enterprise is sparring with are transported to a planet by a third party to settle their differences one-on one. Kirk ends up refusing to kill his opponent despite his attitude earlier in the show of being all set to get revenge for an attack that wiped out a human outpost. I just happened to watch it last night. :)

Then again, there may be another similar episode...

#28 orison319

orison319

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • 56,773 posts
  • LocationSquirrel Hill Penisylvania

Posted January 11 2011 - 03:21 AM

after the Borg were infected with Huge=.. They left the collective and joined Lore... Lore's seems to be more advanced than Data; however, hes emotionally unstable and is violent.. instead of these Borg Assimilating people, this group of Borg went on a killing mission..

I? suppose to tie the story together, they created the Borg as the ultimate species in the Universe < as Human kind and other species have come to know,(Guinans people have all been killed by the Borg, although Q is all more the powerful.. After Q first appears in "Q Who?".. He offers to devest himself of his powers and guide humanity in its quest into uncharted territories and prepare it for unprepared threats.. When Picard argues that humans are capable of dealing with anything, Q hurls them light years in the future or past, for what is the first human encounter with the Borg..

Capturev

Nineteen forty, Xmas eve
with the full moon over town
Stagger Lee shot Billy DeLyon

and he blew that poor boy down

#29 Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus

Master of Funk and Evil

• Members
  • 4,908 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 05:17 AM

I was Picardian for a very long time. But Jainway won me over in the end.

Not only is she awesome, her second in command is way hotter than Picard's too.
http://t1.gstatic.co...EkdIUXphLC3F7UQ
"Now we're cooking with Evil gas!"

#30 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • 17,689 posts

Posted January 11 2011 - 12:12 PM

You're probably thinking of the episode called "Arena" in TOS. Kirk and the reptilian captain of the vessel the Enterprise is sparring with are transported to a planet by a third party to settle their differences one-on one. Kirk ends up refusing to kill his opponent despite his attitude earlier in the show of being all set to get revenge for an attack that wiped out a human outpost. I just happened to watch it last night. :)

Then again, there may be another similar episode...

Probably. That sounds familiar.