Walmart receipt checking

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by ThePoetSappho, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You know those door greeters and employees at Walmart who occasionally ask for your receipt? You don't HAVE to show it. Once you pay for something, it's your property, and you are protected by the 4th Amendment from illegal search and seizure. I always refuse to show my receipt. It often pisses them off, because they can't IMAGINE why you wouldn't show it if you have nothing to hide... I've had them chase after me, grab my cart and try to physically detain me.
    There have been plenty of cases of Walmart employees assaulting customers, just look it up.
    http://bigrobby.com/walmart/

Next time they ask for your receipt, print this out and give it to them,
    http://bigrobby.com/walmart/blogimages/walmart-nice-no-thanks.html

Yeah, I know, Walmart is a bad company to begin with, and a lot of people opt out of shopping there. Fact is however, that often times, especially in small towns, they are the only place you can get certain products. And hey, I'm not rich, but Walmart is cheaper than anywhere else.

They have no right to force you to "show your papers", and they need to stop this practice. Its only a matter of time before they get the message.

2. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

i steal from walmart, so i always show them my receipt.

it raises much less suspicion

3. Driftwood Gypsy

lol rawk on :)

4. Nostromo

Nostromo Member

Receipt-checking is one of those "we have the right to not have it done" things that I could not give a shit about. They can check my receipts. I don't care. :)

Same with when the checkout clerk want "to see my credit card and/or ID". I've read forum threads and web articels that say we don't have to show that - that the credit card agreements with the stores does not require it.

Fine - I show them mine and go on my way. These are just not things I wish to get worked up over.

JMO :)

5. Driftwood Gypsy

once they start stepping on us in small ways, we give them permission to step on us in larger ways...

6. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

In my town the greeters ignore my boyfriend and I along with all the black people that pass by them

seriously, I've seen them smile and wave to a family of white people, skip the black people, skip my bf and I, then wave to the white people behind us

but it's cool that in all that prejudice they never try to check our receipts :) My method of not getting fucked with is pretty much just that I look 10x weirder than the people that typically steal things so I guess people assume that if I were doing something illegal I'd tone my appearance down to try and get away with it.

7. Nostromo

Nostromo Member

Yep yep the old slippery slope argument that always comes up. I am aware of that debate point and I still feel as I said... /shrug

8. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I have more important things to waste time and energy on than making an issue out of showing a receipt for what I already paid for when I set off the senors.

Not worth the bother for two seconds of flashing them a piece of paper.

9. Driftwood Gypsy

I think its fun watching them freak out when you don't show it...

10. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

I'm completely amazed at the trivial things that people are willing to cause a confrontation over.

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

P.S. - Showing them your receipt isn't a slippery slope, Christ.
    P.P.S. - You think it's fun watching people trying to do their job and you making it unnecessarily harder for them so you can make some flaccid, angsty, completely misguided stand about your 4th amendment right.

You stay classy Sappho.

11. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

If I have set off the beepers, I just show them. Not an important thing to me.

There is no need to be an asshole.

Printing out a made up document that someone wrote (spelling mistakes will never get you taken seriously) doesn't make anything legal. Also, I am in Canada...we don't have a fourth amendment.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

at home depot, you buy one skid of stuff.. empty in truck,, go back fill skid with more material.. Show them previous receipt...

13. Driftwood Gypsy

they are instructed to ASK to see the receipt, legally I do not HAVE to show it to them... if they choose to yell at me, chase after me, or assault me, that's their stupidity. Its not making their job harder.

14. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

Serious question -
    Have you ever had a job?

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Most of the greeters I've seen are older or have physical handicaps...they are hardly going to chase or assault anyone without getting hurt themselves.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

most of the wal mart greeters i've ever seen are elderly and look like they're doing the job for a supplemental income. I dont really see the point in making things harder for them. They are just doing their job; they didn't write the policy of receipt checking so why punish them for it?

17. Driftwood Gypsy

They are required to ASK for the receipt, just as you have a right to refuse. No skin off their noses.

18. Driftwood Gypsy

Thanks for the retarded question
    I work 40-50 hours a week and go to school.
    I don't ask for ID for credit cards either.
    I'm not a police officer.
    I do my job, but I don't take it deathly seriously.

19. Driftwood Gypsy

http://consumerist.com/2009/11/reader-says-he-was-tackled-at-walmart-for-not-showing-receipt.html

http://frysforum.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1175&Focus=14657

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/detained-and-harassed-at-walmart-for-not-showing-a-receipt.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tiePAOJBM"]YouTube - Walmart_Receipt_Checker_Stops_Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBkpM4qclsI&feature=BF&list=QL&index=2"]YouTube - Trying to Leave Walmart without Showing my Receipt

Yep. those receipt checkers are totally harmless.

keep walking, sheep.

20. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

If you can't debate without calling people sheep, you've got nothing. lol