• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 peacelove&music

peacelove&music

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 01:40 AM

does anyone unschool or at least know what it is??

if you do, do you like it??
Well two spinning spheres, two spinning spheres in a bed of stars...

#2 white dove

white dove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 02:38 AM

If u mean forget all the crap they try and fill ur head with at school, yeah man ive been there. Not in the sence of knolage just the brain wasing propergander, u could ask for an example tho ive since forgotten, just living free. Could u tell me ur thoughts and opinions?

#3 OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful

Childish Idealist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted November 16 2010 - 04:19 PM

I looked it up: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Unschooling
for anyone that cares to read that

This is definitely how I would teach my child, skip all the crap that has no actual application in the world today.

#4 good2bhome

good2bhome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted November 17 2010 - 10:52 PM

Sandra dodd http://sandradodd.com/
John Holt http://en.wikipedia...._Holt_(educator)

There are many others but this is a good place to start. Unschooling is living and learning. Rather simple, eh? Good luck!

#5 OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful

Childish Idealist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted November 18 2010 - 12:29 AM

Sandra dodd http://sandradodd.com/

This old woman looks really happy

#6 relli90

relli90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted November 30 2010 - 03:10 PM

I was Unschooled! and in my opinion it is the best way to teach your kids! although at times I feel like I can't really relate to people because I don't look at things the same way, but its worth it believe me. Your kids will be themselves and not be what society tells us to be... LONG LIVE UNSCHOOLERS!
"No Straight Lines Make Up My Life, All My Roads Have Bends." ~Harry Chapin~

#7 peacelove&music

peacelove&music

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted December 02 2010 - 08:26 PM

I was Unschooled! and in my opinion it is the best way to teach your kids! although at times I feel like I can't really relate to people because I don't look at things the same way, but its worth it believe me. Your kids will be themselves and not be what society tells us to be... LONG LIVE UNSCHOOLERS!

:) that's awesome. i wish i could have been unschooled. if i ever have kids i will give them the choice for what they want to do and i sincerely hope that they choose to be unschooled. it just seems way more rewarding.
Well two spinning spheres, two spinning spheres in a bed of stars...

#8 julianneliam

julianneliam

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted December 08 2010 - 01:52 PM

Check out a book called Deschooling Society by Ivan illich I think.

#9 ChronicTom

ChronicTom

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts

Posted December 12 2010 - 05:17 AM

Go check out this site.

http://www.naturalli...rning/index.htm

The person who runs this place now, is the product of homeschooling/unschooling. In fact, it is her parents that pushed the issue and made it possible for many many families to pursue this option, not just in Canada but other countries as well.

Posted Image

#10 acid_tripz222

acid_tripz222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted December 12 2010 - 05:43 AM

definatley how i would teach.
------------------------------------------------------

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's not the acid that makes you trip. It's you.

Oh, how I wish I could shut up like a telescope! I think I could,
if I only knew how to begin.

#11 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted December 12 2010 - 05:52 AM

If u mean forget all the crap they try and fill ur head with at school, yeah man ive been there. Not in the sence of knolage just the brain wasing propergander, u could ask for an example tho ive since forgotten, just living free. Could u tell me ur thoughts and opinions?

Even if you are "un-schooled" I think spelling is still important.

I think the thread is about dreadlocks. Maybe fashion and crafts. Lets presume all three. Let's go there, people.

#12 Fingermouse

Fingermouse

Helicase

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,378 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 03:35 AM

Even if you are "un-schooled" I think spelling is still important.

:smilielol5: Odon, your grammar is the worst I've seen from a regular poster on this site. Now you're also the biggest hypocrite. It's still kind of endearing though.

I was talking to her about this recently - telepathically, since she blocked me on facebook last year. :D

If there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you believe in,
then what sort of a hippy free-for-all is this?

Posted Image

#13 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:12 AM

:smilielol5: Odon, your grammar is the worst I've seen from a regular poster on this site. Now you're also the biggest hypocrite. It's still kind of endearing though.

You obviously don't read many posts. Plus, I was talking about spelling not grammar.

I think the thread is about dreadlocks. Maybe fashion and crafts. Lets presume all three. Let's go there, people.

#14 Fingermouse

Fingermouse

Helicase

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,378 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:28 AM

You obviously don't read many posts. Plus, I was talking about spelling not grammar.

I've read enough of your posts, believe me. You're shit at spelling, too. No hard feelings though Ody, it's cute.

I was talking to her about this recently - telepathically, since she blocked me on facebook last year. :D

If there isn't room here for people who stand against everything you believe in,
then what sort of a hippy free-for-all is this?

Posted Image

#15 odon

odon

Slightly Popular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted December 16 2010 - 04:38 AM

I've read enough of your posts.

Awww, thanks.

You're shit at spelling, too.

There is nothing wrong with my spelling, aside from the odd typo, butch.

Ody, is cute.

Aww, thanks. What's next on your list? My sense of humour?

#16 Oake

Oake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted January 24 2011 - 12:14 PM

I unschool my children. We use a relaxed online curriculum just to cover the basics but beyond that we just learn through life.

#17 Bumble

Bumble

• PipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted January 31 2011 - 08:24 PM

According to John Holt, a child has to WANT to learn how to spell. :P
Posted Image

#18 Valdis

Valdis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted March 28 2011 - 05:58 PM

I think unschooling from the beginning is a great way for kids to learn with the natural passion that kids and almost all human beings have to learn before school stomps it out of them.

To me, unschooling means following the interests of the students and what happens in life on a day to day basis.

For instance, if you child is into bugs, you get bug books, videos and such at the library. During gardening, in the backyard or at the park or anywhere you and your child uses those times and places to notice bugs known and unknown to them.

#19 WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted April 05 2011 - 05:46 AM

We are unschooling our kids. This is our "first" year, by that I mean the first official year that government mandates kids start in their structured system. In reality kids, and everyone, is constantly learning and unschooling is just fostering and helping that along. Our 3 year old already knows all the letters. It is passion she has and we help her whenever she is interested. This is really how "education" should be. When you take an interest in your kids' education you really see how different each person's learning style can be, which shows you how flawed public education really is.

I can see a big difference between our kids and my nephew who goes to public school. He has such a hard time and gets really frustrated, and I don't blame him.

Really in my opinion I don't see why we still have public education. With all the easy access to information we have these days, such as libraries and the internet, people can easily learn just about anything they want without going to a school building.

If anyone wants to discuss unschooling and homeschool feel free to send a message. :)

Live your life in happiness, even though those around you lead lives which are unhealthy, and wish to spread their illness to you. Be Happiness itself. - Buddha

#20 A flowerchild's journey

A flowerchild's journey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted July 03 2011 - 07:46 PM

hahaha I wish my mom believed in "unschooling" half the crap i learn im never acctually going to use or come accross ever ... and yet if i dont get a certain grade i fail and i wind up in a pretty crappy situation....

#21 moonmamasgalaxy

moonmamasgalaxy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted July 08 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm going to be homeschooling this LO and I can't wait.

#22 ladylala

ladylala

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted July 14 2011 - 08:52 PM

If I have children, and I hope I do, I will definitely "unschool" them. It has always made sense to my mind even though I am product of government school and traditional homeschooling.

#23 Celtic Hippie

Celtic Hippie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey Now!
I've been unschooling for the past three years, left public school at the end of 8th grade.
Been a great time, and I totally recommend it.
Passions really do shine in unschooling man.

Another book to check out is the "The Teenage Liberation Handbook: how to quit school and get a real life and education" by Grace Llewellyn. It's about...well, quitting school.
She also runs a camp called "Not Back To School Camp" (which I'll be attending in a couple of weeks) which is a camp run for unschoolers & homeschoolers.
"marijuana exhibit A"-Jerry Garcia

#24 I am Rooney

I am Rooney

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted September 07 2011 - 09:39 PM

we can tell by your spelling that you have been there.

#25 nirvana98

nirvana98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 12:12 AM

I'm unschooled! Always have been. But I'm starting public school next year.

#26 nirvana98

nirvana98

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted October 18 2011 - 12:14 AM

I'm unschooled! Always have been. But I'm starting public school next year.

#27 Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 02:12 PM

Wow I've thought of that before, but I didn't know it actually existed!! That's incredible, I only wish I would have known that in time to convince my parents.. Ive always believed that about learning through experiences, the real world is much different than the boxed prison we call school. Though, there are some social things in school that I respect.. Probably only cause of drugs tho haha
http://www.hipforums...pictureid=84882

"So play the game 'Existence' to the end,
Of the beginning, Of the beginning"

I look through the mirror to see we are all there

#28 mynah

mynah

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 27 2011 - 04:42 PM

I have two unschooled teens. My younger one went to the Not Back To School Camp that Celtic Hippie mentioned, and had a great time.

He also attended the New England Unschooling Conference outside of Boston in August.

I'm not a "radical" unschooler. I think skills such as reading, writing, and basic arithmetic need to be practiced. But I believe in waiting, if possible, until a child shows readiness and interest.

#29 Celtic Hippie

Celtic Hippie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted December 13 2011 - 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=mynah;7074368

He also attended the New England Unschooling Conference outside of Boston in August.
[/QUOTE]

Ha! I attened that as well :) :daisy:
"marijuana exhibit A"-Jerry Garcia

#30 Grits Mom

Grits Mom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted December 28 2011 - 06:38 PM

This is our third year OUT of public school, and I only have one regret... and that is that I wish I'd never even sent my kids to public school in the first place! Since we stopped public school I feel that our eyes have really been opened, and I truly encourage everyone to homeschool/unschool if they can. My children don't have the peer pressure any more, they are free to read and learn and grow as they want to and can express themselves freely. No political indoctrination... no lining up at the sound of the bell.

We are relaxed homeschooling//unschoolers. Which means mostly we do natural learning through work and play and life experiences but we also do some work books too for math and religion. (we are Catholics). As far as science and history go, my kids select their own books and read and we attend reenactments and so forth. If my daughter wants to spend months learning about recycling in our area, then I find all I can for her. Right now she is into local organic agriculture... Yes I am proud! :) She is quite the environmentalist. :)