Better to dye hair dirty or clean?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by DiscoPhish, Oct 23, 2010.

1. DiscoPhish

DiscoPhish Member

i frequently dye my hair but i always wondered wether my hair being dirty or clean when i dye it effects the vibrancy/longevity of the color. i believe the box says unwashed hair but does that mean its better if it hasnt been washed in a couple days or just still relatively clean?

2. lunarverse

lunarverse The Living End

I would think that it would be best to dye it when it's clean. Like skin, when dirty the pores of your hairs become clogged with dirt, and thus I'd imagine the dye would not be absorbed into the pores as well.

3. monkeyeatbutt

monkeyeatbutt Member

I have found clean to be the best. Im not a pro but i have done my hair a million times and this is my thinking.

If i wash dry and then dye my hair is not at healthy feeling.
    If i dont wash for 2 days the color is not as nice.
    If i wash during the day and dont do much to get me nasty and then dye later that night or wash b4 bed and dye in the morning I get nice hair.

I think you want some natural oils on your hair to protect it but if its to dirty it will have a hard time coloring your hair because you will have oil and dirt blocking the pores of your hair (if they are called pores).

Like i said Im not a pro but from doing my own hair and friends hair so many times thats what i have come up with.
    The worst job i did was quite a few years ago, i had been outside all day jerking around and came in after dark to do my hair, I used 2 bottles covered every bit of my hair. It was bad, i had placed that didnt hold any color, places that were not even close to the same color. It was a mess for a while.
    The best job i did was a black and purple job. I had washed and gone to bed, It was a cool fall night so i didnt sweat. When i woke up I went to work and it was perfect. The best black and purple I had done. I had been doing it for a year before that day and kept it almost 2 years after.

4. Kista

Kista Member

Its good to not wash your hair for at least 24 hours before dying. When you wash it and then dye the color doesnt properly apply and usually loses the color since its prone to goin fade. Ask any hair dressor, theyll say not to wash your hair before you color it.

5. lynnabelone

lynnabelone Banned

Hey, i want to know that i have done some extensioning on my hair , can you tell me which conditioner will be good for my hair........ so it remains silky and soft.....

http://www.linella.dk/

6. Kista

Kista Member

^all extensions are different. If their clip ins, you can easily take them out, with glue ins its better to wash your hair as little as possible - dry shampoo helps, if you have fusions or similar, its best to wash your hair gently and cond tips only

7. Dirty_Pop

Dirty_Pop Member

Dirty, especially if you're going to bleach it.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

ive heard this from my wife too. She dont wash is lets the oil build up just a little, gives something for the color to cling too.. washing the hair makes it more brittle .. And im a dude., and know that much .. lool>:D